Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Question wildwood water tank vent?

I was filling the water tank ( on our first trip with our used 05 wildwood le 27ss) with the campground supplied garden hose. it sounded like the tank was full so i pulled the hose out only to get covered in water from back pressure from the tank. it then seemed like it took forever to finish filling the tank because the water would gush out!! On later inspection underneath at the tank i found what appeared to be a capped vent hose (a bolt threaded into the hose) what would be the reason for this and how can i fix this problem
Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood1 View Post
I was filling the water tank ( on our first trip with our used 05 wildwood le 27ss) with the campground supplied garden hose. it sounded like the tank was full so i pulled the hose out only to get covered in water from back pressure from the tank. it then seemed like it took forever to finish filling the tank because the water would gush out!! On later inspection underneath at the tank i found what appeared to be a capped vent hose (a bolt threaded into the hose) what would be the reason for this and how can i fix this problem
If in fact it is the vent hose the reason could be to keep water from siphoning out of it while traveling which is a common problem on many of Forest River's RVs. We found we would easily loose half a tank of water while traveling because of this on our Georgetown.

Remove the bolt and figure out how to put a ball valve on the end of the tube so that you can open and close it for filling or for traveling. When you get where you are going and set up, open the valve so that the tank can vent.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
If in fact it is the vent hose the reason could be to keep water from siphoning out of it while traveling which is a common problem on many of Forest River's RVs. We found we would easily loose half a tank of water while traveling because of this on our Georgetown.

Remove the bolt and figure out how to put a ball valve on the end of the tube so that you can open and close it for filling or for traveling. When you get where you are going and set up, open the valve so that the tank can vent.
I will definitly do a little more investigating in the spring and will probably install a ball valve like you recommend! However, I fill the tank when I get to my destination to keep the weight down because i tow the trailer (approx. 5600 lbs dry weight) with a 2002 dodge ram half ton (4.7 liter v8) with a towing capacity of 6300 lbs!! Thanks for the information.
Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #4

The vent hose should be higher than the water tank, to prevent it from syphoning. On my Flagstaff, the vent hose runs right beside the filler tube, which works very well. There is also a drain tube that runs out under the tank area, that is opened/closed by a push/pull type valve, to allow draining. Hope this helps! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote