Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #1

Winterization problem

Hello!

Its getting cold in northern Wisconsin and I am trying to winterize my E Pro 14FK (14 ft travel trailer). There is a sticker near the fresh water tank that says to winterize with antifreeze: close the drain to freshwater tank and open valve on tube near tank. This valve has a nipple on it where you can attach pex tubing and put other end in jug of antifreeze. I did this and turned on pump and no antifreeze was being sucked up. I thought maybe I closed valve instead of opened it and tried with valve at right angle to pipe( which i think is closed position. Neither position produced results. I did hear a gurgling in adjacent hot water heater but heater is in by pass mode.
Could the pump be bad? I thought of attaching hose at inlet of water pump but ther is some sort of larger fitting on it. I really dont want to put anti freeze in fresh water tank( hard to clean up in spring) Maybe I could get a hand pump and put antifreeze through city water? I feel small amount of suction from wintrizing nipple when I put my finger on it. I am stumped and would appreciate your wisdom.

Thanks

Brian
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

Make sure you are not pulling air from a loose connection. That is what it sounds like to me. If the pump can pull air it will vs pumping fluid.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

Could be almost anything. Have you tried opening a faucet in the rig to see if the pink stuff comes out?
A handpump and putting the antifreeze through the city connection should work pretty easily.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If you have the valve in the proper position, and the jug is lower than the pump, it may not prime.

While it 'should', sometimes it doesn't.

Either hold the jug higher or pour some antifreeze in the hose you connected.

One other thing... you mentioned the valve was made to attach a piece of PEX on it. It could be... but most folks use a piece of braided or nylon hose and a hose clamp. If you are using PEX without a proper PEX clamp, you are almost certainly sucking air at the valve.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you have the valve in the proper position, and the jug is lower than the pump, it may not prime.

While it 'should', sometimes it doesn't.

Either hold the jug higher or pour some antifreeze in the hose you connected.

One other thing... you mentioned the valve was made to attach a piece of PEX on it. It could be... but most folks use a piece of braided or nylon hose and a hose clamp. If you are using PEX without a proper PEX clamp, you are almost certainly sucking air at the valve.
it looks like supply lines for faucets in a house. It is white with a blue stripe
funfyzics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfyzics View Post
Could the pump be bad? I thought of attaching hose at inlet of water pump but ther is some sort of larger fitting on it.
Seems that nearly every year, I wonder if my pump is bad and it's always fine. My problems are always one of two things. Either air is getting in or a valve is turned the wrong way. That 'large fitting' you describe may just be a female x female adaptor. Take that off and you should be able to attach the hose to the pump. Or it could be a little filter with a little plastic window. If it's the filter, leave that on.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter