Old 09-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #1

Winterization Question

Being the first time I do my own winterization, I want to make sure I get it right of course. I understand pretty much everything FR explains in regard to using the AF method thru the AF Inlet and to all the faucets, etc. and filling the drains and tanks. What I don't fully understand is how this method addresses the line(s) from the fresh water tank? An explanation of this is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
French381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #2

You should drain the fresh water tank and the low point hot and cold water drains (open the faucets). That should drain the lines from the fresh water tank.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Do NOT fill tanks nor water heater with antifreeze!
Quote:
Originally Posted by French381 View Post
Being the first time I do my own winterization, I want to make sure I get it right of course. I understand pretty much everything FR explains in regard to using the AF method thru the AF Inlet and to all the faucets, etc. and filling the drains and tanks. What I don't fully understand is how this method addresses the line(s) from the fresh water tank? An explanation of this is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 94; booked = 14
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #4

Hmmmm.... Guess I should have been a bit more specific. Drain the lines, then close the low point drains and bypass the hot water heater before adding antifreeze. As Mr.Dan said, don't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Even if there is a bit of water in the tank, there will be room for expansion if the contents freeze.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
Brake is on left

Think of the line from the tank to your pump like a garden hose left out all winter. The water, what little may be left in it, will freeze. However, it has room to expand so it does not rupture. Only a closed space like a valve or line between a check valve and a fixture will cause problems.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #6

Winterization Question

In regard to Mr. Dan and filling tanks, I didn't mean "filling" any tanks. I was referencing FR instructing to pour a gallon of AF into the black water tank and by default of AF into the drains, the gray water tank will also get "some" AF. My last concern is that of the hot water bypass in the shower that leads also to the fresh water tank. Since there is no AF to be run to/thru the freshwater tank, I guess that bypass should not be opened and have AF run thru it? Thank you to everyone else for the guidance.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by French381 View Post
In regard to Mr. Dan and filling tanks, I didn't mean "filling" any tanks. I was referencing FR instructing to pour a gallon of AF into the black water tank and by default of AF into the drains, the gray water tank will also get "some" AF. My last concern is that of the hot water bypass in the shower that leads also to the fresh water tank. Since there is no AF to be run to/thru the freshwater tank, I guess that bypass should not be opened and have AF run thru it? Thank you to everyone else for the guidance.
The"Watermizer Valve" will allow Hot or Cold water to return to the FWTank! If you are using Pink AF for winterizing be aware how "Your Watermizer is plumbed into the FW line" to prevent Pink AF into your FW TANK! Youroo! !
Old 09-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

Winterization Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The"Watermizer Valve" will allow Hot or Cold water to return to the FWTank! If you are using Pink AF for winterizing be aware how "Your Watermizer is plumbed into the FW line" to prevent Pink AF into your FW TANK! Youroo! !
So "Youroo", you're saying the line from the "Watermizer" that starts in the shower and goes to the fresh water tank does not need to be winterized at all? Am I to assume that there is or is not water left in that line? When everything is finally complete, should the valves be left open on the black and gray tanks or should they be closed?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:33 PM   #9

Keep the valves closed on the black and grey tanks. Dump pink stuff in them.

The SM return can be different on each TT. I think mine just returns the water to the water pump. Today while my wife was adjusting the water temp I got hot water out of the cold faucet. It was 37 deg this morning so I doubt the water from the shower returning to the FW tank was enough to heat it up. Some TT have the water return to the FW tank.

You need to winterize the SM valve.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Keep the valves closed on the black and grey tanks. Dump pink stuff in them.

The SM return can be different on each TT. I think mine just returns the water to the water pump. Today while my wife was adjusting the water temp I got hot water out of the cold faucet. It was 37 deg this morning so I doubt the water from the shower returning to the FW tank was enough to heat it up. Some TT have the water return to the FW tank.

You need to winterize the SM valve.
hobienick, mine returns the water to the fresh water tank.

Tags
winter