Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #1

Winterize my 365-SAQ Sierra

I spent about 6 hours trying to winterize my trailer today and failed. I drained all the lines, and the low point drains. I pulled the water filter, and the I thought I drained the water heater, but now I am not so sure.

I am not able to use an air compressor as I dont have a blow out valve, or power to run my compressor so I have to use antifreeze and the water pump that I can run off battery.

After reading that useless owners manual, I tried filling my fresh water tank, but I cant get anything to go in. After trying mulitiple times and wasting about a gallon of antifreeze, I cut the hose I was using and made it really small. I poured some antifreeze into the hose, and then tried to blow it down the fresh water tank and nogo. I then pulled the screen off and found the check valve.

I put a small hose in with the funnel and I could not get anti-freeze to go in.

So cold, wet, miserable, and extremely pissed off, and very dark out, I finally had to call it quits for the night.

I saw that there was a "Winterization Kit" connector, but I couldn't get anything to screw into it. Not a water hose, not a bottle, nothing.

Can someone offer advice on how to accomplish this? Do I need to find the water pump and make a hose connector and fill it that way?
Ben_holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_holder View Post
I spent about 6 hours trying to winterize my trailer today and failed. I drained all the lines, and the low point drains. I pulled the water filter, and the I thought I drained the water heater, but now I am not so sure. I am not able to use an air compressor as I dont have a blow out valve, or power to run my compressor so I have to use antifreeze and the water pump that I can run off battery. After reading that useless owners manual, I tried filling my fresh water tank, but I cant get anything to go in. After trying mulitiple times and wasting about a gallon of antifreeze, I cut the hose I was using and made it really small. I poured some antifreeze into the hose, and then tried to blow it down the fresh water tank and nogo. I then pulled the screen off and found the check valve. I put a small hose in with the funnel and I could not get anti-freeze to go in. So cold, wet, miserable, and extremely pissed off, and very dark out, I finally had to call it quits for the night. I saw that there was a "Winterization Kit" connector, but I couldn't get anything to screw into it. Not a water hose, not a bottle, nothing. Can someone offer advice on how to accomplish this? Do I need to find the water pump and make a hose connector and fill it that way?
If you drained the hot water heater you would know from the 6-10 gallons of water that would have come out. Did you pull the Anode rod out of it (mine requires a 1 1/8 socket to remove) and it is on the bottom of the hot water heater? Not sure of the specifics of your camper, but I tried looking at pictures of the 365SAQ and it appears there is a tube that pulls out of the panel where your drain handles and fresh tank fills are. This could either go directly into an rv antifreeze bottle if long enough, or connect into an RV anti freeze connector kit like the one in the link below. This would allow you not to fill the fresh tank and use the water pump to move the rv anti freeze from the bottle through your rv.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-Pu.../dp/B0006JJ588

Perhaps someone with your unit can chime in here on the specifics for how to do this on a 365 SAQ.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #3

The easiest way I've found, is to pour 4 gallons of antifreeze in a 5 gallon bucket(Home Depot type). Then pull the draft hose, should be on the lower right of the docking station. ALSO very important as stated, empty the water heater and turn the bypass. Re-drain the water filter again. Look closely as there is a 90* valve on the right side of the docking station with a hose coming into it and then going behind the docking station panel. Turn this knob 90*! You do not need water in your holding tank to do this. Now have someone hold the hose down in to the antifreeze and turn on the fresh water pump, it will then prime itself(takes a few seconds). I then start with the outside kitchen and get each line(cold & hot) running pink. I then go under the rear 1/2 bath and close off those lines so I can use the camper in extremely cold weather(have to use inside kitchen water til spring then). Next, I come in and get the 1/2 bath sink and toilet running pink, then do the same with the kitchen, master bath(toilet, sink and shower), then the washer connections in the front nose if you have them, and PLEASE don't forget the two water hose connections outside(one on each side of coach), Hook up the hose and make sure they run link as well. May even take 5 gallons as I sometimes let mine run to get air out of it. You will notice the water filter container is all pink now. Remember to put the draft hose end BACK ON THE HOSE! If not, in the spring you will spend and eternity trying to figure out why the system won't prime(don't ask me how I know) Unfortunately, it is a 2 person job on these rigs as you have to have some help. Make sure you don't run the 5 gallon bucket out of antifreeze as it will lose the prime on the water pump, then you get to get all the air out! Hope this helps!
Monty
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. We went to home depot, bought hoses and adapters, and then went back to the trailer this morning. Pulled the anode out of the water and thankfully water poured out.
Put the hoses and adapters on the "Winterizer Kit" hose and turned the water pump on and it filled up the water filter canister. But nothing else. I apparrently still had water in teh lines and now they are ice.

It should be in the 40's tomorrow so I will go out again and hopefully this will be the last time I have to go out there til Spring

Definitely a learning experience.
Ben_holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #5

Make sure you turned the valve for the water heater bypass. If it hasn't been bypassed you could just be filling up your water heater with the pink stuff..... Good luck!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
I then start with the outside kitchen and get each line(cold & hot) running pink. I then go under the rear 1/2 bath and close off those lines
Monty
Is this in the underbelly? I'm having a hard time picturing where you are talking about.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Is this in the underbelly? I'm having a hard time picturing where you are talking about.
By opening each one of the water faucets. Hot then cold or whichever way you prefer, until pink then close off. Then close off the valve located under the 1/2 bath sink. Here:

YES, you do start by draining all of the water out of the lines to begin with, at least I do. They are located under the belly of the rig at the following locations. At the rear kitchen, under the half bath, near the sewer drain on front left side of camper and then a little forward of those. .
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
By opening each one of the water faucets. Hot then cold or whichever way you prefer, until pink then close off. Then close off the valve located under the 1/2 bath sink. Here:

Ah, I see now, thank for the visual
I haven't spent enough time in ours yet to have that cabinet open just yet. Hope to resolve that this weekend if the weather isn't horrible here.

Tags
365, sierra, winter, winterize