Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

Winterize problem

I blew out my pipes on my 193bhs and was going to add rv antifreeze. I put the short hose in the gallon jug turned on the pump opened the vanity cold water faucet and the pump did not pump the antifreeze into the system. I even put a funnel on the tube and poured some antifreeze in as to "prime" the pump. Could not get the pump to pump the antifreeze out of the jug. What did I overlook?
Cornville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Community Discussion section to the Plumbing and Water Systems sub-forum, in the Tech and Repair section since the OP's questions are specific to Plumbing.
Please provide year and make of your RV. FR has around 100 different brands and some use the same model numbers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornville View Post
I blew out my pipes on my 193bhs and was going to add rv antifreeze. I put the short hose in the gallon jug turned on the pump opened the vanity cold water faucet and the pump did not pump the antifreeze into the system. I even put a funnel on the tube and poured some antifreeze in as to "prime" the pump. Could not get the pump to pump the antifreeze out of the jug. What did I overlook?
Is the “short hose” attached to a valve? If so, that valve switches the “draw” from the fresh water tank to the antifreeze jug. Change the setting of that valve and retry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornville View Post

Here is a good general video for referencing the Step-by Step Winterization process.

You may possibly already have a winterization bypass on your lines as well.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 10:50 PM   #5

It would help if we knew the model of your rig. From the numbers it appears that you have the Apex Nano.
Those rigs might not have a winterization from the water pump. In our tt, we had to blow out the lines and drain the low point drains(open the faucets).
Then we had to manually put antifreeze into the system using the city water connection and a rv handpump. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Hand-Pu...97495169&psc=1

It's best done with two people - one to open and close faucets and one to pump antifreeze into the system.
Old 10-17-2022, 07:03 AM   #6

I did open that valve but the pump would not draw antifreeze from the jug. I looked for a shut off valve from the fresh water tank but did not find one. I even tried to pinch off the pipe from the fresh water tank but still would not draw the antifreeze.
Cornville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Team

If you could post a photo or 2 of the hoses and valves in question maybe we could help you.

You said you opened the valve. We need to see what valve you're talking about.
My rig has a T in front of the pump.
"Going up stream from the pump-- I have a T and a valve and the line from the valve goes to my fresh tank.
The other side of the T is a short hose like you describe and that hose has a cap on the end.
When I winterize I close the valve (handle is crosswise) and remove the cap and place the short hose in the antifreeze jug.

It's possible you have a "3 way valve" but we need a photo to give you more specific advice.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #8

since i don't know the specifics of your rv this is a generic description that covers the majority of setups.

there are probably two valves involved, and two 'water' connections.

one is the water heater bypass valve. its position will not affect the pump's ability to draw in the antifreeze but it does keep the antifreeze from being pumped into the water heater.

the other valve determines where the pump draws from. in the normal position it allows the pump to draw from the fresh water tank. in the winterize position it allows the pump to draw from a jug of antifreeze.

there will a water connection where you attach the water hose when you are using a city water supply. there will be another connection for the antifreeze when you have the pump source valve set to the winterize position.

make sure your hose that you are trying to use to suck up the antifreeze is attached to the antifreeze intake connection, not the city water connection.
also make sure you have at least one faucet open so the antifreeze can actually flow through the pump and out the faucet.

Tags
winter, winterize