Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Winterize Ready Kit

Just picked up our trailer last week, Freedom Express 192RBS. On my production order sheet it lists "Winterize Ready Kit" Can someone tell me what this means and what does it do for me.
Thanks Tervio
Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

All units come winterized from the factory. You will have to turn bypass valve on hot water heater and flush out lines before use. If you search sight it will give you the de-winterize methods that people use, most involve sanitizing the water lines with an amount of bleach determined by size of water tank and system.
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tervio View Post
Just picked up our trailer last week, Freedom Express 192RBS. On my production order sheet it lists "Winterize Ready Kit" Can someone tell me what this means and what does it do for me.
Thanks Tervio
It is a valve and a short 2' hose connected to you Water Pump. It is used to install Antifreeze into your water pipe system for winterizing. To winterize, you turn on your pump, place the end of the hose into a gal. jug of RV antifreeze. Then you open every water faucet in your rig one at a time until the pink stuff comes out then turn off the faucet. Flush the toilet. All this AFTER you have found your low point drains and drained out the water and closed the valves. Then turn off your pump. It will take about 2 gal. of antifreeze. Then you go around and put some in all p-traps and toilets. I forgot. The first thing you do is bypass the WH.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A winterize ready kit allows you to ingest R/V antifreeze into the plumbing system once the water is drained and removed (also sometimes blown out with air) and the water heater is in bypass.

In looking at a photo of your rig on the internet it appears you may have access to this "winterizing ready kit" from outside your rig.

See the photo I attached below and look at the connection ports in the red box I added.

Does one of the ports have a sticker that talks about antifreeze?
If so, that is where you draw the antifreeze into the system using a short hose into the antifreeze jug and using the on-board pump to pump it into the plumbing. There will also be a valve you'll need to turn before it will suck antifreeze from that port.

Didn't you dealer cover these very important R/V 101 items when you had the PDI/Customer Orientation at purchase?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winterize.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	190365  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #5

What it does for you, is allows you to winterize without dumping pink stuff into your fresh water tank like i do. I plan on installing the winterize kit next spring.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the reply's, as for the side of the trailer the 4 items would be for City Water, Black Tank Flush, Antenna, Satellite. Did not get what I would call a real intense walk through. We told dealer we were going to use the trailer one last trip and then we would winterize the unit. They were checking out all of the water lines, faucets, etc. I had that same system on my old trailer so I will just have to take a look for the water pump and see. Thanks for the quick reply's.

Tervio
Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

OK then as cavie suggested, you'll need to look where your water pump is located for the items he mentioned.

Best of luck. Search winterizing on this forum and you'll get literally hundreds of posts on how different folks, in different geographical areas, do their winterization process.

I'll only add... I have yet to see a post anywhere that specifies a freeze issue when the plumbing has pink antifreeze in it.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #8

Trevino,
Congrats on your new camper. We have the same year and model. For us, it is the perfect couples trailer...just big enough without being too much. We’ve received a lot of compliments on it.

Anyway, the winterizing kit is no more than the hose and valve located at the water pump. This allows you to pump in the pink stuff.

To winterize, drain the fresh water tank and open the low point drains located on the front and rear of the trailer on the drivers side. After draining, close the low points. Drain the water heater. From the access panel under the fridge, bypass the water heater using the three valves. Remove the access panel under the sink. Close the valve from the fresh water tank and open the valve to the winterizing hose. Put the hose in a gallon of pink stuff and turn on the pump. Flow water to all the faucets and toilets til pink runs out. Make sure you do the outside shower as well.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Trevino,
Congrats on your new camper. We have the same year and model. For us, it is the perfect couples trailer...just big enough without being too much. We’ve received a lot of compliments on it.

Anyway, the winterizing kit is no more than the hose and valve located at the water pump. This allows you to pump in the pink stuff.

To winterize, drain the fresh water tank and open the low point drains located on the front and rear of the trailer on the drivers side. After draining, close the low points. Drain the water heater. From the access panel under the fridge, bypass the water heater using the three valves. Remove the access panel under the sink. Close the valve from the fresh water tank and open the valve to the winterizing hose. Put the hose in a gallon of pink stuff and turn on the pump. Flow water to all the faucets and toilets til pink runs out. Make sure you do the outside shower as well.
Drain the hot water heater first, before the low point drains drains to keep hot water heater scale from getting into your water limes.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize