Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #1

winterizing

Hello i have a spartan 3210 5th wheel and in my under floor storage i have 2 valves red (hot water bypass) white (cold water) and a white hose. I am looking to winterize the rv and want to know what the white hose is for and the process on when to turn the red and white valve ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0978.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	214277
franmiked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by franmiked View Post
Hello i have a spartan 3210 5th wheel and in my under floor storage i have 2 valves red (hot water bypass) white (cold water) and a white hose. I am looking to winterize the rv and want to know what the white hose is for and the process on when to turn the red and white valve ThanksAttachment 214277
Well, not exactly. The colors are not meant to communicate water temperature. The red is the water heater bypass valve so you can block off the water heater when you pump antifreeze through the system (plus other uses some have found). The blue valve is to switch your onboard pump from pumping from the fresh water tank (“Normal”) and make it suck in antifreeze (“Winterize”) from a bottle through the white hose about which you asked. Did no one explain this when you bought the unit?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #3

mr dan has it exactly!

the red valve (along with some hidden check valves) is used to bypass the water heater.

the white valve is in your water pump's input suction hose. in the normal position it will draw from the fresh water tank. if the winterize position it will draw from that hose in the picture. put that hose in a jug of antifreeze and let the water pump draw it up and pump it throughout.

when winterizing remember to:
remove water filters prior to pumping antifreeze
drain all tanks
drain water heater
remember any plumbing lines for: outside shower, washer, refrigerator / ice maker, black tank flush
pour antifreeze into all drains, traps, toilet
Old 09-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #4

Thanks for your input

Hello Thank you both for your reply , when you said "along with some hidden check valves" to bypass the hot water tank is that red one not the only valve. Is there still ones at the hot water tank?
Thanks
Ps the other question i bought this off a retired couple and they didn't know much about the unit
Old 09-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #5

yes there are some check valves connected to the water heater inlet / outlet ports but you don't have to do anything to them or access them. the one on the water heater outlet is a one way check valve to ensure that water only flows out of the tank from the hot port and not into using that port. the valve in you picture redirects incoming cold water from flowing into the tank and routes it through the bypass hose. so the valve in your picture sends water though the bypass hose to the hot water hose. the check valve keeps it from going into the tank from the hot hose. in normal mode the cold water enters the tank and is kept out of the bypass hose. it gets heated and then flows out the hot water check valve and out the hot water hose. again, you do not have to touch these or crawl behind the water heater to manipulate valves! all you need to do is set the red valve handle to the proper position.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

Thanks for your help

Thanks alot for info just sad i am parking it for the winter

Tags
winter