Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #1

Winterizing

Got my new Salem 25RBHL, and when I filled the fresh water tank, I could not get the water pump to pull from it. So I called the dealer and they had me change the position of one of the valves by the water pump so it would pull from the fresh water tank.

So - my question is - where was it pulling from before I changed it ? Was it trying to pull from the City Water connection ? Because if it was - I think I just figured out how to suck Antifreeze into the system. I tried to follow the path but it's tucked down in the corner, and I can't get in there good enough to figure it out.

I know it would have no reason to pull from City Water normally, but maybe for winterizing ?? The owners manual is no help.
rwriley1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #2

congrats - you just found the valve that controls the antifreeze inlet! (connects to water pump, and either pulls from fresh water tank, OR antifreeze inlet hose/port).

Note that the city water connection is separate from this, and is isolated from the fresh water tank by a check valve (which is notorious for failing, and allowing pressurized water from the city water connection to backfill your freshwater tank).
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
congrats - you just found the valve that controls the antifreeze inlet! (connects to water pump, and either pulls from fresh water tank, OR antifreeze inlet hose/port).
So where is the inlet ? Is it coiled up in the corner somewhere ? I could try to send my Grandson to find it
Old 05-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #4

Mine is a white hose like a garden hose that is tucked into a hole in the rear of the wet bay. Just give each of the white hoses going thru the wet bay panel a gentle tug and one should pull out with nothing attached. It should be the hose coming off the valve you are talking about.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwriley1053 View Post
So where is the inlet ? Is it coiled up in the corner somewhere ? I could try to send my Grandson to find it
I can’t find a photo of the intake on your particular unit, but you can send your grandson outside and around back to the passenger side rear corner, down low on the very back of the coach. The antifreeze inlet port is one of the three inlets, next to your city water inlet and your black tank flush. You screw a short section of hose into it, with the other end stuck into a gallon just of antifreeze. When you’re ready to winterize, you’ll turn that valve (the one the dealer told you about) back to the winterize position, which will change where the water pump will draw from…. Instead of sucking water out of the fresh water tank, it will draw from the winterizing port out back (and, subsequently, the antifreeze jug you setup back there).

Hope this helps!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 11:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Mine is a white hose like a garden hose that is tucked into a hole in the rear of the wet bay. Just give each of the white hoses going thru the wet bay panel a gentle tug and one should pull out with nothing attached. It should be the hose coming off the valve you are talking about.
Found it ! and was exactly how you described it.

And while I was digging around - if found what looks to be an un-attached electrical plug of some sort. I will start a different Thread for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wt.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	274139  

Tags
winter, winterizing