Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Winterizing Black Tank

After I drain the black tank and use the flush for a good amount of time is there anything else I can do to prepare for winter? Should I pour Clorox down the toilet? Antifreeze too? I know to put some antifreeze in the bowl.
campfiregirl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfiregirl57 View Post
After I drain the black tank and use the flush for a good amount of time is there anything else I can do to prepare for winter? Should I pour Clorox down the toilet? Antifreeze too? I know to put some antifreeze in the bowl.
Once the black tank is empty, it is winterized. I would pour some antifreeze in the toilet bowl and leave it.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

O.K. Just for my education being as we don't winterize down here in SW Ga: OldCoot mentioned to pour some antifreeze in the toilet bowl and leave it. Would that be the RV type antifreeze (I'm betting but wan't to be sure). What effect, if any, would the RV antifreeze have on the rubber seal within the toilet bowl over a few months time?
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
O.K. Just for my education being as we don't winterize down here in SW Ga: OldCoot mentioned to pour some antifreeze in the toilet bowl and leave it. Would that be the RV type antifreeze (I'm betting but wan't to be sure). What effect, if any, would the RV antifreeze have on the rubber seal within the toilet bowl over a few months time?
Just the opposite I thought. I'd have to check but I thought the RV antifreeze said on it somewhere it actually would help prevent the seals from drying out. I always put a 1/2 gallon or so in each tank. Just in case any water was left it would seek the low point which would be the valve and I don't want it freezing there and possibly damaging the valve.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
...I'd have to check but I thought the RV antifreeze said on it somewhere it actually would help prevent the seals from drying out....
Ethanol vs. Propylene Glycol antifreeze

Ethanol can dry out the rubber parts such as seals in the valves.

Personally, I am sticking with Propylene Glycol.

Quote:
....I always put a 1/2 gallon or so in each tank. Just in case any water was left it would seek the low point which would be the valve and I don't want it freezing there and possibly damaging the valve.
That's my plan. Make sure the pea-traps and tanks have enough to prevent the valves from freezing.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

I drain my black tank completely and leave it open. Been doing that for 13 years and no problems yet. Once in a blue moon, it gets down into the single digits here and no issues so far.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I should have stated "Propylene Glycol" RV antifreeze. Sorry about that.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Just the opposite I thought. I'd have to check but I thought the RV antifreeze said on it somewhere it actually would help prevent the seals from drying out. I always put a 1/2 gallon or so in each tank. Just in case any water was left it would seek the low point which would be the valve and I don't want it freezing there and possibly damaging the valve.
Yes! Spend 5.00$ on 2 Gal of RV Anti-Freeze and use it all! RV repair is Over 100.00$ a Hr,your choice! Youroo!!

Tags
black, black tank, tank, winter