Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

Winterizing gray and black tanks

Almost done camping for the seaon. First time winterizing my TT. Is winterizing the gray and black tanks as easy as flushing them out and then filling them with a few gallons of water and add antifreeze?

Thanks,

Bill
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #2

Just flush them out and leave them dry. Just make sure they are drained dry, no need for any anit-freeze in the grey or black tanks.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #3

Actually no need for antifreeze in any of the tanks, including the water heater. Antifreeze is designed to prevent the water lines from freezing in case there is some residual water left in them. Using an air compressor set at about 10PSI pressurize the lines and turn on the faucets one at a time until there is no more water coming out. Take the drain plug out of the water heater tank. Be sure the winterize valves are set correctly and fill the system using the water pump. Done deal.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I suggest you get one of these for flushing your tank. It makes filling the black tank prior to flushing it very easy. Just open the toilet and drop this in the hole. Gently release toilet flush lever and this will remain in place, water will run and tank will fill. When about full, go outside and open the sewer connection to drain the tank. Repeat several times.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I suggest you get one of these for flushing your tank. It makes filling the black tank prior to flushing it very easy. Just open the toilet and drop this in the hole. Gently release toilet flush lever and this will remain in place, water will run and tank will fill. When about full, go outside and open the sewer connection to drain the tank. Repeat several times.
Now, ain't that the neatest item. When using my spray wand, I usually end up taking off my right shoe and opening the valve with my toes. Many times I have wished for a foot control flush valve. This should solve the problem.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Now, ain't that the neatest item. When using my spray wand, I usually end up taking off my right shoe and opening the valve with my toes. Many times I have wished for a foot control flush valve. This should solve the problem.
These have been around since day one. Surprised you haven't seen them before. Proof of the old adage about "Give a lazy man a hard job..."

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #7

Hey, to all those who replied, Thanks for the information and tips!
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilcin View Post
Almost done camping for the seaon. First time winterizing my TT. Is winterizing the gray and black tanks as easy as flushing them out and then filling them with a few gallons of water and add antifreeze?

Thanks,

Bill
Personally, after flushing the black and grey tanks for the season and closing them, I add a gallon of antifreeze to the black tank (the grey tank will get enough antifreeze in it just from filling the lines and traps). I don't think there is any way to know for sure that the tanks are completely dry and I don't want any residual water sitting against the valve areas to freeze. A gallon of antifreeze is cheap insurance.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I think 1 important last step is to drain the lines to both the black and gray tank. If any water is left in the lines at the valves, that has more potential to do damage than a little water left in the very bottom of the tanks.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

i have our camper at a perm site we just drain rince with my wirly wand refill and drain a couple times and just lert them drain leaving what ever anti freeze gets in them and leave both valves open for the winter i change the water heater valve over to isolate it from the rest of the system pull the anode rod out and let it drain i put a small peice of screen over the opening and leve it open for the seasond an rv tech told me to do it this way works great
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Personally, after flushing the black and grey tanks for the season and closing them, I add a gallon of antifreeze to the black tank (the grey tank will get enough antifreeze in it just from filling the lines and traps). I don't think there is any way to know for sure that the tanks are completely dry and I don't want any residual water sitting against the valve areas to freeze. A gallon of antifreeze is cheap insurance.
x2-

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
X3

That's the same procedure that I've been following w/ no issues up here in Ontario.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #13

After pulling the anode rod and drain the water heater I use a wet and dry vac to pull out the remaining water...you would be surprised how much gets left behind.

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #14

I flushed out our gray and black water tanks yesterday before winterizing. We're using the blow-out method. I couldn't believe how much "gunk" (I won't go into nasty details) was still left in the tanks. I rinsed and dumped them three times to make sure they were both clean as a whistle. Should I leave the dump valves open during winter? DH drained the water heater and apparently didn't read the info about the residual pressure....he came away totally soaked!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #15
Anacortesians

The temperature at which water with "stuff" in it will freeze declines as a function of the percentage of "stuff". Your black tank contents probably wouldn't freeze until about 24 degrees, but why would you leave that stuff in there? Grey tank would probalby be OK down to about 28 degrees, but again, why would you leave stuff in there?

If both tanks are at relatively low content levels (say less than a quarter full) there's enough air space for them to freeze without doing any damage.

Tags
black tank