Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Winterizing in Central Texas??

I'm brand new to owning a TT and I am unsure about winterizing. I live in the Austin area and it does hit 32 degrees occasionally, but not regularly or for long. Should I winterize here, is it necassary? Also if you always plan on using inline water hook up at a camp site is is necassary to sanitize your holding tank ever? Thanks, all and any advice is welcome even if it strays off topic. If you think I need to know, please tell me!
PBallie1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBallie1602
I'm brand new to owning a TT and I am unsure about winterizing. I live in the Austin area and it does hit 32 degrees occasionally, but not regularly or for long. Should I winterize here, is it necassary? Also if you always plan on using inline water hook up at a camp site is is necassary to sanitize your holding tank ever? Thanks, all and any advice is welcome even if it strays off topic. If you think I need to know, please tell me!
I'd atleast drain Hw tank and blow out the lines as well as drain the low points.

But ultimately your at your own risk on what a broken line or trap is going to set you back.

I can't imagine you'd never use your fw tank but if you don't I guess there's no reason to sanitize it.

Good luck and have fun !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'd atleast drain Hw tank and blow out the lines as well as drain the low points.

But ultimately your at your own risk on what a broken line or trap is going to set you back.

I can't imagine you'd never use your fw tank but if you don't I guess there's no reason to sanitize it.

Good luck and have fun !

Turbs
X2

Drain everything, blow it out, use a lil antifreeze in the toilet and drains.....thats it.....

And i would still sanitize the tank when you use it first time every year....

Using the city water is great till you are at a campground on well water and the pump goes out shutting down water to the park.....

Happened to me 2x this year!......now i fill holding tank half way when setting up every time!...

West tx here btw....

Enjoy!!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
B47

Quote:

Good luck and have fun !

Turbs
Turbo - Just to make sure I and perhaps others understand what you mean when you say "blow out the lines" is that a kit of some sort is required to do this - is this true? I mean you don't simply attach an air hose to the lines and blow. If I recall correctly, some sort of adapter is required to connect the air hose to the line (s).

PS - how about answering my PM.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
X2

Drain everything, blow it out, use a lil antifreeze in the toilet and drains.....thats it.....

And i would still sanitize the tank when you use it first time every year....

Using the city water is great till you are at a campground on well water and the pump goes out shutting down water to the park.....

Happened to me 2x this year!......now i fill holding tank half way when setting up every time!...

West tx here btw....

Enjoy!!
Yes all of the above and if you are in Lubbock - make sure all your dust covers and plugs are installed.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

You need this......and a compressor......or a politician full of hot air.....lol
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

Turbo - Just to make sure I and perhaps others understand what you mean when you say "blow out the lines" is that a kit of some sort is required to do this - is this true? I mean you don't simply attach an air hose to the lines and blow. If I recall correctly, some sort of adapter is required to connect the air hose to the line (s).

PS - how about answering my PM.
There's a plug and a nipple that screws onto your city connection then add 10 or 20 psi regulated.

I'll look for your pm tonight.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Yes all of the above and if you are in Lubbock - make sure all your dust covers and plugs are installed.
Lubbock.....yep.....and dust cover = enclosed storage......and even then that is debatable
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
You need this......and a compressor......or a politician full of hot air.....lol
That tip looks like a tire valve stem - are you supposed to use a hand air pump to blow the air (keep the replies clean)
Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Lubbock.....yep.....and dust cover = enclosed storage......and even then that is debatable
I thought that would get your attention

Seriously you and I have discussed Lubbock before and there are many worse places to live.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

I thought that would get your attention

Seriously you and I have discussed Lubbock before and there are many worse places to live.
I've been to MANY worse places for sure.....I just wish I was closer to a mountain , lake , snow , or even a small hill...lol...

Lubbock has been GREAT to my and my business , so I can't complain......!...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
I've been to MANY worse places for sure.....I just wish I was closer to a mountain , lake , snow , or even a small hill...lol...

Lubbock has been GREAT to my and my business , so I can't complain......!...
Well you do have Lake Ransome and if you want a small hill, just drive south from Lubbock to Post and you are on the Caprock
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47

That tip looks like a tire valve stem - are you supposed to use a hand air pump to blow the air (keep the replies clean)
Air compresser.
Regulated to 10 or 20 psi
Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Air compresser.
Regulated to 10 or 20 psi
Yeah on second look at it I can see that - Once again i should have taken a second look before I asked an question.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Nah....just hook up the inflator for your air mattress
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #16

You guys are silly. And as for worse places than Lubbock, well hopefully I never have to go there. I've only driven through Lubbock, and no offfense but it smells really bad! OK well I have two friends here in Austin who have rigs, one has had 10 different ones throughout his life and actually works on his. He said all he does is drain his well and doesn't bother w/ the pink stuff because it doesn't freeze here much (the other friend said all they do is drain too). My dealer said drain the lines and put a small amount of anti freeze in all drains. Now after talking to said friend I believe I will use the FW holding tank and he says he never sanitizes his as he never uses it for drinking water. So I am a bit confused about if I should do more than drain everything because then I have to flush the whole system come spring and I would have to do that at a camp ground as I live in a tight HOA and store my camper. When you say drain the low points, what does that mean exactly? I know to drain the FW tank at the bottom where the drain valve is, I know how to drain the hot water tank, and drain both BW & GW tanks. What are thes low points you speak of. Please be gentle remember I am completely new to this and I am a girl so I don't know tool terms and what not very well.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBallie1602 View Post
You guys are silly. And as for worse places than Lubbock, well hopefully I never have to go there. I've only driven through Lubbock, and no offfense but it smells really bad! OK well I have two friends here in Austin who have rigs, one has had 10 different ones throughout his life and actually works on his. He said all he does is drain his well and doesn't bother w/ the pink stuff because it doesn't freeze here much (the other friend said all they do is drain too). My dealer said drain the lines and put a small amount of anti freeze in all drains. Now after talking to said friend I believe I will use the FW holding tank and he says he never sanitizes his as he never uses it for drinking water. So I am a bit confused about if I should do more than drain everything because then I have to flush the whole system come spring and I would have to do that at a camp ground as I live in a tight HOA and store my camper. When you say drain the low points, what does that mean exactly? I know to drain the FW tank at the bottom where the drain valve is, I know how to drain the hot water tank, and drain both BW & GW tanks. What are thes low points you speak of. Please be gentle remember I am completely new to this and I am a girl so I don't know tool terms and what not very well.
lol...lubbock only stinks if the wind is right and comes in from the stockyard..hey, its texas....we got cattle and oil....they both stink....and they both are money!

ok, if you drain the lines then add the antifreeze in the toilet and drains, you dont have to flush nothing....just take the trailer out and use it as normal and flush it all down when you dump tank....no need to do anything else...remember there is nothing in the pipes but air when you get it out of storage...

the LOW point drains are little valves at the bottom of the trailer that will let you drain out all the water from the camper lines...usually under the trailer, but im not sure on yours...you would want to drain the water heater, fresh water, then low points.....

after this its your call on what else you feel is necessary to do....if you dont fear freezing, then that might be enough...if you want to play it safe, at least use some antifreeze in the toilet and traps....and even safer than that blow out the lines with compressed air....

as far as freshwater, you will get a lot of opinion, but i sanitize mine ONCE a year before the first trip.....i usually dont drink the water, but camping has so many variables and things that pop up, i dont want to leave out the possibility if i NEED to...plus even if im just showering, things can/will eventually grow in the tank if you NEVER sanitize it....
Old 09-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #18

Thanks that was very easy to understand and super helpful! One clarification. If I put a little pink stuff down the toilet and each drain you say no need to flush just use as normal. That is because antifreeze only in the drains has no way of entering the water heater when I turn the bypass off off as I never put the anti freeze in the FW tank and used pump to circulate it? Same reasoning for why it won't be coming out the faucet? I think I will do that just to be safe and because it isn't difficult, be dumb not to. I also will sanitize the tank once a year because I can fill w/ bleach and water at home and the dump at the campground the first use each season. Also do I need to even put water heater on bypass after I drain it if I'm not gonna circulate antifreeze through the system via FW tank and pump? BTW I don't think I have low point drains, per my manual the detailed winterization instructions say drain all tanks FW & sewage, bypass water heater & drain, and that's it for draining stuff...Thanks again!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #19

right....pink stuff is only in drains..never in lines, pump, or waterheater....

no need to use bypass if not using pink stuff...the whole point of the bypass is so you can drain the tank and bypass it therefore not haveing to pump 6-10 gallons of pink into it....
Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Now a "Top Member"

Well, here's my take. With my old TT, I never did anything to it. I never used the fresh water tank, and never sanitized it. In fact, I didn't even know the water pump didn't work until I wanted to prep it (i.e. actually use the fresh water tank) in preparation for Hurricane Ike. That was the first time it had water in the tank in 3 years of owning it. Otherwise, with that trailer, I did nothing. And went through a couple of freezes just fine.

Now with the new 5th wheel, I have a water filter, and many other places for water to pool. But all I do is keep an electric heater, or a drop light near the water filter, and a couple in the camper. It keeps things warm enough to not freeze. Don't have to worry about draining, blowing, pinking, or anything.

Just my take, and my thing. It's worked for me.

(The TT spent the first winter in San Antonio, and the last 4 here about 35 miles north of Houston...5th wheel is still here).
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote