Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #1

winterizing in line water filter

I know I know.....nobody wants to talk about it, but soon the heat wave will be history and ole man winter looms. I have one of those big honkin in line water filters in my Rockwood Ultra lite. It is called Water Pur. What does one do to cut it out of the system when you are installing anti freeze. It says clearly on the cartridge container DO NOT FREEZE. I don't want to fill it up with anti freeze. What are you old hands doing for this?
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

My thoughts, not owning your particular "WaterPur" system, would be to remove the filter cartridge and winterize. If you're concerned that flushing with clear water in the spring will not remove all the pink, do a by-pass of the filtering system. My2cents. Now back to enjoying our pre-winter summer.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Wanna Be Camper

I remove the cartridge, put the housing back together and go about winterizing like normal. After I am done pumping the RV antifree through the system I remove the housing for the winter and put it in the house.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

I do the same as John, except after I pump the antifreeze, I pull the housing and dump out the antifreeze, then I screw it back on.
kev2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #5

I also have the whole "house" inline filter. For the winterizing process I take the filter out replace the housing and fill with anitfreeze. Or you could make a bypass but you would still have to remove the filter.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
MrT

Remove the filter for the winter, and throw it away. Replace next season. Be sure to double check the cartridge housing for water later in the blow-out process (if that's what you do). Last time I winterized, the the last thing I did was run the pump briefly to expel water from it--and it dumped about a pint of water into the cartridge housing.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote