Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #21

After all the draining, blowing out and water filter removal don't forget to remove the small clear plastic strainer bowl that's attached to the pump. Ask me how I know that!
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehend View Post
For me (in central Michigan) I've always used compressed air for over 30 years. Blow out the lines, antifreeze in P traps and tanks.

The ONLY time I had a problem was last year, when I forgot to depress the foot pedal on the toilet...left water in the valve and it froze/cracked. (Of course that would have been a problem whether using air or antifreeze either one!)
Exactly what happened to me too. A simple oversight ended up costing me $60 and an entire afternoon (on the day before the first trip of the season) driving all over heck's half-acre to find one (several dealers I called either lied that they had one or couldn't look up the part number to save their lives).

Going to use the pink stuff as the final step from now on (and create a checklist - CRS is starting to become a factor).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:41 PM   #23
Gold Miner At Heart

Locate the water pump and add a winterizing kit to the incoming hose. I just recently did this to mine. All you need is a three way valve, three pipe clamps and a piece of hose. For the cost of RV antifreeze compared to the cost or repairing a broken pipe behind a wall or shower it's just not worth the risk. My father in-law had a pipe break at a joint that cost a lot to repair the water damage alone. Don't risk it. I'd rather be safe with no worries that have the trouble or worries.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #24

Wow, didn't realize this would turn into multiple pages so quick! In all honesty I have not tried to get to the pump yet, I've just read about other folks' attempts and wondered if it was worth the effort. I'm in central IL, hot summers and cold winters. We routinely get below freezing for extended periods of time (weeks) during the cold stretches of winter, and sometimes a few days below zero at a time.
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012
scottydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #25

I blow out the lines, drain the water heater and pink in the drains and toilet. Never had a problem with our MH (no water heater bypass). Last winter did this to TT. It has no pink stuff port and even though the water heater has a bypass, you have to take out the cook stove to get to it or remove a panel AND heat duct then crawl into the cabinet to get to it!
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrowncods View Post
You are good with air. I would leave the faucet valves open as well. Experiment by taking a glass of water and freeze it. The glass will not break. As long as there is air for the water to expand into as it freezes no harm is done. Nothing wrong with the ice, it is the lack of airspace to expand into that does the damage.
When I was growing up my parents had a house built in the 1800's. When they bought it we noticed that the pipes were not insulated. We were told to just let the water drip, or when it got into the "teens" shut the water off and leave all the valves open. There was no way to keep the pipes from freezing. The first winter we ended up replumbing the entire house because we forgot the advice we were given. Worked like a charm when we did it. Lived in that house 20 years and although the pipes would freeze there would be no damage.

Or use the Pink!
You shared my thoughts exactly. I'm in Washington State, and have use compressed air for the last 15 years in my trailer, then 40 classes A and now my Wildcat 32RL 5 the wheel. Have not used pink in all those years.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #27
Site Team

In north Louisiana blowing the lines out works for me but I take several other precautions. Drain wh, filter, low point drains and everything I can including outside shower hose. Then I turn on tank heater switch (they activate in the 40s) and set furnace as low as it goes. Usually go through 2 propane tanks over a winter but no damage in 10 years. PTL

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:18 PM   #28

Air can be a problem.

One year I used compressed air and had a leak in a very bad spot which took lots of time and problems gaining access. I always use the pink now. The air will blow by low sections of plumbing and the water settles back into that spot. I think the layout of your plumbing is the issue.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #29

I live in Newfoundland so I know about cold. I only use compressed air and like the other posts here I blow everything out completely, remove the WH anode rod, leave the faucets open and add antifreeze to the traps. I also remove my water pump (it's under the kid's bunk so it's easy to access) and store it in the basement until needed. Just remember to re-install it before you hook up the city water in the spring (ask me how I know)
Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #30

In NH I have always blown with air...then ran pink in and blown a second time. When just blowing there will always be a low spot that the vapor collects in. Many years ago I just used pink and left it in there. The system tasted like crap for the season. Since then I blow it out after.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
Depends on where you live. I live in Richmond VA and only use compressed air to blow out all my lines, drains, etc. Then add some pink stuff to the traps of the sinks,toilet and shower. Oh and 1/2 gallon to both Black/Grey tanks. Never had an issue (knock on wood).
Just my .02 worth.
Same here. I live in Northeastern Ohio and 30+ years of using only compressed air in the water lines and pink stuff in the traps and toilet bowl. No problems with any of my travel trailers or motorhome..
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #32

I lived in southern Indiana where I owned 2- TT and a MH. I always used the compressed air method. Some of the winters the outside temps got down to -20.
Never had a problem. When I did the air, I tried to make sure all the water was out of the lines, toilet, shower, low water lines, etc. I did pour antifreeze into each of the traps - bathroom sink, kitchen sink and shower. I left a cup of antifreeze in the toilet. I have never put antifreeze into the water lines. So I vote compressed air only into the lines.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #33

Winterizing with Air

Always used pink until we years ago and then moved to compressed air. Quick note make sure you regulate your air to 40PSI or less to do the blow out or you can damage your system. No issues...make sure you don't forget the outside shower lines and pour pink in the sink traps and toilet. I've never put it in the tanks but could do no harm. I like it because it's clean in 5he spring
..no purging to do. Good luck!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #34

Personally I favor the pink stuff. I used compressed air last winter and thought I did a really good job. I made a fitting for the water line to compressor and thought i drained everything perfectly. First trip this summer, flooded trailer pretty good. Apparently the toilet valve had water in it and cracked. Didn't leak till pressure built up in the system and I wasn't looking. Now I have cut the lines in so that it is easy to suck the pink stuff in and to close off the hot water heater. I don't think I will ever use the compressed air again. My son in law used compressed air and froze his outside shower valves. Not a nice thing. Just my personal experience.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguay View Post
In NH I have always blown with air...then ran pink in and blown a second time. When just blowing there will always be a low spot that the vapor collects in. Many years ago I just used pink and left it in there. The system tasted like crap for the season. Since then I blow it out after.
I do the same. Never a problem and the water doesn't taste like crap in the Spring.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:33 PM   #36

In spring I flush all the pink stuff out and fill the water tank with water and a cup of Clorox sanitizing the system. I run the water to fill hot water and lines with the clorox mix then leave it for a day or two, then I flush again with straight water. Never had a bad smell or taste out of the system by doing this, and it should get done every spring anyway.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #37

Winterized in MI for the last 20 years , two different 5rs. Compressed air in water lines , 16 oz of pink in the drains. No problems. Make sure your low point drains are clear , use 40 psi one fawset at a time clear. Drain hot water heater, and don't forget the toilet flush.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 AM   #38

I always use anti-freeze. Don't forget to press the city water check valve to make sure yo replace the water in that line.

Also...as stated here several places I always made sure in the past that I let enough pink through the faucets to fill the traps...

But.... I soon discover that our Sabre does not have conventional P-traps. Instead they used a waterless check valve sort of thing that does not retain any water or antifreeze.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:43 AM   #39

Been using the pink stuff since the mid 1980s never had an issue nor bad tasting water. I drain as much water out as I can first then pump in the pink antifreeze. Doesn't take long........ then I have peace of mind......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:40 AM   #40

Agree with oaklevel, have used antifreeze for 20 yrs. No bad taste, no problems ever..i dont understand why anyone would take the chance using air...

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize