Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #1

Winterizing water filtration system

Need advice. We live in a climate where we use our rv from time to time over the winter months. This is the first rv we have had with the filtered system. I need to know if there is a way to BLOCK this filtration system out when not desired? I will be emptying the system November 1st and tossing the present filter. I do not want to put another filter in the system until Spring. I use bottled water for drinking over the colder months.

The primary issue I see is that if the canister fills with water ( with or without a filter) the water in it is exposed to the freezing temps and therefore subject to freeze, expansion and case breakage.

With a bypass, the water is routed internally and gets the benefit of some furnace heat. I assume if I NEEDED to, I could place a corded lamp bulb next to the canister casing to avoid freezing? OR??

I am going to be using the rv again prior to the first freeze, AND, at that completion, I plan to do a dry run of winterization techniques so I am not fumbling for what is what knob, etc, while the wind is blowing and it's plain uncomfortable outside.

Thanks for all insight.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure which filter you have. Some came with a bypass plate (basically a metal disk) that get's sandwiched at the top of the filter. This allows water to only fill the space above the disk instead of the whole canister. If you don't have one, you could possibly try to fashion one.

On mine there was no disk, but then again I won't be using it over the winter and constantly dewinterizing/winterizing.

Another option is to just remove the filter. A lot of people on here have done that due to a failure of the filter or pre-emptively expecting a failure of the filter. Some have converted the filter to be able to hook up outside, some just use a bought external.

A third option is to get a couple of T valves and some tubing and create bypass around the whole filter housing, kind of like you'd have around the Water heater. If I was in your situation, this is the one I'd do as I prefer having the filter onboard, despite the known risk.

Tags
water, winter, winterize