Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #21

i've done it both ways w/o damage.
when i just blew it out, i would put some heat on inside when it really got cold just in case i missed something. (even here, the inside of the trailer will get below freezing).
this year i did it a little different with the anti freeze. i installed a 1/2" pipe in place of the filter. drained the filter and went ahead and replaced the cartridge. after i flush it out, i will put the filter back in the line. i use 1.75 gal of antifreeze.

i'm always afraid that i'm not getting everything out when i blow it out. the anti freeze is just insurance. believe it is cheaper to put the antifreeze in than putting a little heat inside and a light bulb by the pump.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #22

filter housing doesn't have to be flushed.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #23

I prefer using antifreeze, but if you do that, there really isn't any reason to blow the lines with air. Either one is an effective method of winterizing, but both together is really overkill.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #24
rip

My friend remembered his toilet bowl seal but forgot about his toilet valve. A hard west Texas freeze cracked that little bugger in his V-Cross.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip View Post
My friend remembered his toilet bowl seal but forgot about his toilet valve. A hard west Texas freeze cracked that little bugger in his V-Cross.
i can relate to that. mine froze but didn't crack. i found it by trying to flush and breaking the foot peddle. was unable to buy the peddle alone; had to buy valve and peddle.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #26

We have been winterizing our boat so long - two engines, gen set, two A/C, (all water cooled) and water system, including an ice maker, that doing just the water system in our trailer was a breeze. I went from16 gals of pink anti-freeze to just over a gallon this year...thought I was getting a great bargain.

Mike
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #27

all we ever do is blow out our lines i then go around and dump antifreez into the trap and call it a seson we live in northern mn were it does get cold for weeks damn cold
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #28

I live outside of Atlanta, GA and in our old PUP we just blew out the lines. But, in the new TT I was nervous about the lines potentially freezing with some recent cold snaps so just did the pink stuff in them to be safe. Ours is a Shamrock 23IKSS new model and it has a anti-freeze inlet port so we only needed about a gallon to do the whole thing. Pretty easy and felt better to be safe than sorry.

2012 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L iForce V8 w/Equal-i-zer 10K
2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
Nights camped in 2012 - 32; 2013 - 31; 2014 - 22 so far
greg.thecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #29
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
okay so today I went down to the rv... took a jug of RV AF and our niffty new little RV Antirfreeze hand pump kit. WOW! That little gadget is wonderful!

I was abel to add AF to our lines by meself.. and only used a littel over a half a gallon of AF. We have a small rig and lines are not long. Got pink juice to come out of toilet, all faucets and put some in the p-traps.

I figure at $3 a gallon for AF.. its cheap insurance. Way cheaper then having to get new lines, facuets or toilet valve.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post
okay so today I went down to the rv... took a jug of RV AF and our niffty new little RV Antirfreeze hand pump kit. WOW! That little gadget is wonderful!

I was abel to add AF to our lines by meself.. and only used a littel over a half a gallon of AF. We have a small rig and lines are not long. Got pink juice to come out of toilet, all faucets and put some in the p-traps.

I figure at $3 a gallon for AF.. its cheap insurance. Way cheaper then having to get new lines, facuets or toilet valve.
Perfect!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnqueen View Post

Don't forget outside shower and black tank Turboflush if they are installed.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #32

I have winterized all different ways from just draining the water heater and filling the fresh tank with RV antifreeze and pumping throughout the coach (Which I would not recommend because it takes a ton of RV to get through the camper! Rookie camper owner!!), then pour some in the ptraps and call it good to now blowing out the lines. In my old camper, I started pumping at the fresh water pump but never blowing out the lines.

My current camper is a Park Model so my water heater is a house type, and my fridge is a house fridge with an ice maker that has to be winterized as well. The guy that owned the camper before me only blew the lines out and called it good he said. When I applied water after I bought it winterized, I had problems with a broken water valve on the toilet from freezing and several leaks in the Pex connections throughout the camper. After talking to my local RV dealer I winterized it this year by:

Draining the water heater and by pass the heater
Connect the blow out valve to the city water intake.
Blow out all lines by opening all faucets, outside shower and then the low point drains.
Close everything and then pump RV antifreeze at the fresh water pump into the whole system including activating the water valve on my ice maker.
Pour RV antifreeze in all ptraps, toilet, and some in the holding tanks.

One interesting note, my RV dealer said to blow out the RV because they said that leaving the RV antifreeze in the lines can cause them to expand and break, but I am not buying that. I have left RV in all waterlines for several years and have never had a problem. Plus, I feel like I am doubling up by blowing out the lines and also filling with RV which I think will help against diluting most the water should out of the system. By the way, I live in Missouri where it can get pretty darn cold in the winter.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrboatfan View Post
One interesting note, my RV dealer said to blow out the RV because they said that leaving the RV antifreeze in the lines can cause them to expand and break
If he actually said that, everything he has said to you about your RV is suspect, in my honest opinion. He clearly is making stuff up to sound knowledgeable.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

If he actually said that, everything he has said to you about your RV is suspect, in my honest opinion. He clearly is making stuff up to sound knowledgeable.
X2
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #35

I live in Virginia, above you, but not in the Mts. We use our TT all the time. All I do is turn on a 1500 watt heater and open the cabinets, but I also have an underbelly cover. I should not say never but I never had a problem. If your weather warms during the day time and there is no prolong freeze you will be find. And by the way nice meeting you both at the Rally

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #36

Quote:

Yea, that's what I thought because I had never heard that. Sadly, it was the service manager. On a brighter note he did give me the schematic for energizing the water valve on my ice maker to winterize it and it which worked perfectly. I just did not follow his other instruction!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
we live in just plain cold illinois, and i have never blown the lines out. i figure it takes about 3 gallons of antifreeze (i'm generous with it), and there isnt much left over water after draining from all that needs to be drained. the lines are full of anti freeze, and anything that goes into the holding tanks will be mostly antifreeze anyway. 5 yrs of doing it this way, and no problems yet.

of course, a couple coworkers like to blow the lines with air, but thats just one more step to take. i dont think either way is the right/wrong way.
I dont blow the lines either, I drain everything Turn on the HW Bypass, Then I have a 2 gallon pump sprayer with a Hose end on it, I screw it in, Pump it up then go inside and open every faucett one at a time till the pink flows I can do it all on One pump up By myself Takes just a few minutes In 20+ years I have never had a problem and that includes 12 years in Michigan
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #38

Quote:
If that was the case why would they sell RV Antifreeze? I agree that guy is a tool, It doesnt take much to be a RV Mechanic just a line of BS I guess
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #39

On our previous campers I always used antifreeze. When we bought our Grey Wolf I called the dealer to ask if there was a winterization bypass for the antifreeze or if I had to install one, they said that they always just use air and blow the lines out. So I figured that I would try it the dealerships way. First I tried one of my little portable compressors (10 gal, 1.5hp, 2 stage) at 40ish psi, I still heard water gurgling from the cold water side of the kitchen faucet and the compressor was working pretty good to keep up with the air flow.

So since I was taking the camper to my dads shop to store it for the winter I figured I would just use his big shop compressor (8hp, 80gal). I ran 300ft of air hose out to the camper and used 60psi, I knew I had more than enough air volume since even with the faucet wide open the compressor cycled on and off 3 times and I let the air run through the faucet for 4-5 minutes. I still had water gurgling at the kitchen faucet, so then I said screw it and decided to just use antifreeze. I installed the winterization bypass kit and 1.5 gallons of antifreeze later the camper was done. And since the temps have been -10 to-20 F over night the last couple nights (wind chills of -35 or so) I am glad that I did use antifreeze, that way I know that everything is protected.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #40

I cant get the plug out of the hot water heater. I bought the 1/2 ratchet with the 1/16 bit but I cant manuever the ratchet into the heater, not enough room. Its to long. Any ideas?
mm29 is offline   Reply With Quote