Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm29 View Post
I cant get the plug out of the hot water heater. I bought the 1/2 ratchet with the 1/16 bit but I cant manuever the ratchet into the heater, not enough room. Its to long. Any ideas?
I use a short (3 inch) 1/2 inch extension for the 1 1/16th inch socket.

Craftsman 3 pc. Extension Bar Set, 1/2 in. Dr. - Tools - Ratchets & Sockets - Socket Accessories
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #42

I have always blown my system out with air similar to what you describe and add anti freeze to the traps and toilet. A couple places that can be problems are the toilet valve and shower head. I always double check them. This method has worked for me in Wyoming where we can see 20 to 30 below zero at least once every winter!

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #43
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Oookay so I DID turn the HW bypass
....I could not get any pink fluid to come out of the hot water faucets...

Hope I don't have a problem come spring or the next time I go camping.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #44
Site Team - Lou

My guess is the valves was rotated in the wrong direction and the hot water is being shut off and not bypassed.

If the two lower valves are closed, there will be no hot water going to the hot water faucets. To get RV antifreeze to flow to the hot water taps the upper and lower valves must be closed and the middle valve OPEN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	23366  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #45

Quote:
I cant get the plug out of the hot water heater. I bought the 1/2 ratchet with the 1/16 bit but I cant manuever the ratchet into the heater, not enough room. Its to long. Any ideas?
Umm, an extension??
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #46

Thank you
mm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #47
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Dang Herk! Just what i thought! You are good!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Use a 4" or 6" extension to the ratchet, this will allow you to reach the plug.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #49

I personally like to avoid chemicals when my body and food comes into contact with the water and even more important if you are drinking the water! Blow the lines out but add antifreeze to your waste tanks by pouring down all drains. It is a reliable and completely appropriate way of winterizing. Most importantly, however, is to do what helps you to sleep at night. There are two ways of winterizing. People have their preferences but blowing out your lines and flushing antifreeze through the system sounds like overkill.
MichelleCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleCRNA View Post
I personally like to avoid chemicals when my body and food comes into contact with the water and even more important if you are drinking the water! Blow the lines out but add antifreeze to your waste tanks by pouring down all drains. It is a reliable and completely appropriate way of winterizing. Most importantly, however, is to do what helps you to sleep at night. There are two ways of winterizing. People have their preferences but blowing out your lines and flushing antifreeze through the system sounds like overkill.
small amount of water NOT blown out can and will cause damage..i would not want to drink rv anti-freeze either ...flush out everything and dont drink the water.. if... you dont trust it being safe
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #51

Of all the things I can think of not to drink, this is not one of the worst (scotch comes to mind), but if you use an anti freeze, a cheap vodka will work pretty good, rather inexpensive, will not freeze, and when you visit the RV in the spring (or before, if you get lonely) you can always bring some OJ and have a quick party! No worries about PINK blood in the veins of your RV. Bear in mind there MAY be some things the alcohol might not be good for, seals, washers, pump parts - it has worked for me in my boat.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #52
Working the Life

We live in the Great White North and lived up near Alask for a number of years. Temps drop to -50 deg C for periods of time. Both procedures have been used by myself and friends of mine. Non of us have had issues with freeze problems.
My preference is to use Pink so that seals and such don't dry out. As stated by others in preceding posts make sure you keep it out of the Hot Water Tank and flush well in the spring. Added bonus to using Pink is due to it's alcohol content it also keeps the lines disinfected.
Personally I don't like leaving water lines empty as they become a great environment for bacteria growth.

KD

KD Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #53

Good morning. We live in Newnan Ga. All I do is drain lines and F W tank . On nights in mid 20's or colder I put one of thos $40 oil filled heaters in camper and open cabinets that have plumbing pipes in them. My camper has under pinning .
I also stuff an old t shirt in outside shower box to help insulate that fixture. Hopevthis helps.
Hawg Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #54
Denver, CO

I've used vodka before here it Denver and it works fine down to around -20 ish F.

The freezing point of 80 proof vodka is -26.95° C or -16.51° F,

AND I just pump it into a gallon jug in the spring and pour it over Tomato juice. Make a nice way to start the year.

If it's really cold where you are I would pump the red stuff through the unit and then blow out the pipe as an extra precaution, anything left in the pipes will be pink. IMO
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #55

It's clear that the preferred methods are still split. I avoid the pink stuff because of the taste. Our first TT (February-2010) came from the factory winterized. I flushed it, used baking soda and bleach. Over the next two years my morning coffee, and I drink it black, always had the pink AF taste. That's a lousy, lousy way to start your day and I will never put that stuff in my camper lines again.
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
It's clear that the preferred methods are still split. I avoid the pink stuff because of the taste. Our first TT (February-2010) came from the factory winterized. I flushed it, used baking soda and bleach. Over the next two years my morning coffee, and I drink it black, always had the pink AF taste. That's a lousy, lousy way to start your day and I will never put that stuff in my camper lines again.
TeJay
Ive never had any problem with flushing it out, But I dont drink the Water from the tank or make coffee with it, I use bottled water
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #57
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
TeJay
We flush with bleach every year and if done properly there should be no residual a/f taste.
We use our fw for coffee and various other cooking uses with no taste issues.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #58

I understand using bottled water but I have a real problem spending $$$ on water in a bottle that comes out of a tap. Most if not all of it is no better or sometimes worse than what you do get out of a tap. I guess it's an attitude thing. Also look at what the bottled water companies are doing. Some take it for almost nothing then turn around and sell it to us so they can make $$$$. It's a gimmick and I don't like to be part of it. If I didn't want something ELSE to trip over or store I'd bring water from home.
JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #59

Well I've been camping with various types of campers from pop up to 2 TTs to a toy hauler to a regular 5er. I've always used bleach to sanitize the fresh water tanks. I have used the pink stuff to pump into the water lines and pump. I have blown them out with air pressure. Last fall I blew them out and them pumped pink stuff into the water lines. We also use bottled water to make the coffee, tea or whatever. Last summer I came down with BEAVER FEVER. It's a fast weight loss parasite that you can get in water from streams etc. The campground we were in has a sign on their door, "Boil The Water" before drinking etc. I didn't drink it, I used it to rinse my mouth after brushing. Have done that many times in that campground, but I got caught this last time. I lost 20 pounds in 12 days. My whole body developed the shakes. It took a little bit over a month to start recovering. My DW medicated me 3 times daily-Rum & Coke. I think she thought I had scurvy. I didn't see a doctor as we were dry camping in the Rockies and too far from a clinic of any kind when it finally got to me. So it's bottled water for us to drink, gargle, sniff and whatever else you can do with it. I will shower using the fresh water tank and try to remember to keep my mouth shut. Could be a good thing.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #60

Quote:
I understand using bottled water but I have a real problem spending $$$ on water in a bottle that comes out of a tap. Most if not all of it is no better or sometimes worse than what you do get out of a tap. I guess it's an attitude thing. Also look at what the bottled water companies are doing. Some take it for almost nothing then turn around and sell it to us so they can make $$$$. It's a gimmick and I don't like to be part of it. If I didn't want something ELSE to trip over or store I'd bring water from home.
JMTCW
TeJay
I also hate buying bottled water. I'm not real fond of drinking the water in the FW tank either. On one trip where the CG water was nasty I ended up buying 3 gallons of water (in the gallon containers) and saved the empties. Now when I go I take 2 - 3 gallons of my home tap water and that's enough to make my coffee or have a good glass of water. It gets stored under the sink and is never in the way. It works for me anyway.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote