Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

XLR Main Bath Black Water issues

Forum please help,

I have a 2015 XLR, on the maiden voyage the main toilet backed up without any significant usage. I ran a snake in it as plunging would not work. Snake got stuck while going into the tank I believe. I finally got the snake back and thought my problem was solved. Unfortunately the toilet still backs up quite often and needs to be plunged even without any solids going into it. Also now my black water tank has a hard time sealing and bypasses liquids.

Big Question: is a one way valve installed into the line where it empties into the black tank? If not is there a P trap installed?

Second question: If a valve was installed and I Broke part of it with the snake could that be blocking the open/ close valve?

Thanks group!
MarkinStagecoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

I am not trying to be a jerk, but just want to get a little more info. Is this your first RV. Unless something unusual is blocking the pipe, and it has happened, so never say never. RV toilet back ups are usually caused by two things. The first being a full black tank. The second is called the pyramid, it is caused by poop and toilet paper build up directly under the pipe. This usually happens when the tank was used in a completely empty condition. One should always have several gallons of water in the tank to help things dissolve and move away from the pipe.

There is no p trap or check valve it is a direct pipe to the tank. It is also important not to put anything other than human waste and RV type toilet paper down the toilet.

Most likely there is very hard material in the tank that is not dissolving. You should get a container of waste digester for RV's make sure there is at least half a tank of liquid and use the entire bottle. Let it set for at least 48 hours before you empty it. You can still use the toilet , that why you should only fill it to half. This hard material may also be blocking the valve seat.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #3

The only valves are the one in the toilet that opens when you flush and the dump valve outside.

When you say that the black tank has a hard time sealing, do you mean the dump valve outside?

When you open (flush) the toilet valve, is it a straight drop into the tank? Can you see into the tank when the toilet valve is open or is there an elbow?

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #4

Had the same problem my first time out. I made the mistake of leaving my valves open for a week. All the waist built up in the black tank and all the liquids had already ran out, hence the black tank was plugged up but good. After a few u-Tube videos, went the the RV store and bought a
Clear elbow with a backlash valve and a cleaning wand to use down the toilet. Between the two I was able to get the black tank cleaned out. Now I leave all valves closed and dump every couple of days. Haven't had that problem since. Now I use the new purchases and clean everything on my final dump of the trip.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your input. This is not our first RV and we always try to keep water in the tank and the valve closed in order to keep the material mobil. The toilet does not drop directly into the black tank. The seal I am referring to is the sealing of the outside dump valve. When we had the issue at first very few solids had went down the system. That's what has had me so perplexed on this issue.

Any other input is appreciated and thanks to all who have sent in comments.

Regards
Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

How many toilets in your RV ?
Is this the small bathroom near the garage ? If yes there is a 2nd tank with a 2nd T handle by the rear tire to dump the smaller black tank.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

This has 2 bathrooms and it is the main bath by the front bedroom that is having the issues

Regards and thanks!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

If this is a new RV I would take it back to the dealer.

What model do you have ?

Many models and brands that have the T handle system in the basement have on going issues with dump valves not seating properly. Most people add a twist on valve to solve the issue, some add electric valves.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #9

Do you have small kids/grandkids? Are they missing Toys or clothing? Also it is a real possibility that a "Drill Plug" fell into the tank during Build/Install which can block the Tank exit at times! Someone has to do a "CSI" inside the Tank! Youroo!!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #10

Thanks for comments. The RV is about 3 years old and I have been just dealing with it. However now that the dump valve is not sealing I will have to do something one way or the other. I thought I would check out other ideas prior to me tearing into it. No small kids around but my think is a little the same that some construction debris is in the line.

Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #11

They do make an inexpensive swivel stick camera that connects to your smartphone. You can use that down the toilet to see what's going on. And they're kind of handy to have around. Just talked myself into getting one.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

MarkinStagecoach, as I said earlier was not trying to be a jerk and now that it sounds like it is not the obvious issues, while unusual there are times when original construction debris gets dropped into the tank. There has even been a report on one forum of the tank hole cutouts being left in the tank and caused a problem just like your having. There has also been a post, I believe on this forum where the toilet piping was to long and was almost touching the tank bottom which caused drain problems.

A camera is a really good suggestion, but it sounds like a tank drop out might be on the horizon.

Please come back on and let us know what you find, knowledge is power when it comes to this stuff, because there is always something different occurring.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Watching
2013 35 nights, 2014 105 nights, 2015 123 nights, 2016 18 nights 🙁
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #14

Thanks again everyone! I will dig into the issue this weekend and update the group as soon as I get it figured out.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #15

Mystery solved of the Black Tank!

Ok fellow RV owners I have figured out the issue. So after the great advice of buying a small camera (Boroscope) I figured out the main issue. As the RV is laid out the septic does not drop straight in to the Black tank. It takes a 45 drops down a bit and then another 45 with a straight run for about 6 inches and then take a 45 into the floor where it drops into the tank. So the scope shows that the PVC goes all the way into the tank and just about to the bottom of the tank with only about 1/2 inch of clearance. I am not sure if this is designed this way or they forgot to cut the end of the pipe off prior to cementing into the tank. This is the reason why material built up into the pipe and you would have to plunge it in order for it to clear the pipe and move into the main body of the tank.

I guess it's time to call Forest River and see if this is a manufacturing flaw or what?

Thanks again team.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #16

Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Thanks for letting us know what you found.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #17

Thank you for update
2013 35 nights, 2014 105 nights, 2015 123 nights, 2016 18 nights 🙁
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #18

Glad you found the problem, welcome to the world of piss poor workmanship. Don't let your dealer tell you this is normal, as is it is not.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinStagecoach View Post
Ok fellow RV owners I have figured out the issue. So after the great advice of buying a small camera (Boroscope) I figured out the main issue. As the RV is laid out the septic does not drop straight in to the Black tank. It takes a 45 drops down a bit and then another 45 with a straight run for about 6 inches and then take a 45 into the floor where it drops into the tank. So the scope shows that the PVC goes all the way into the tank and just about to the bottom of the tank with only about 1/2 inch of clearance. I am not sure if this is designed this way or they forgot to cut the end of the pipe off prior to cementing into the tank. This is the reason why material built up into the pipe and you would have to plunge it in order for it to clear the pipe and move into the main body of the tank.

I guess it's time to call Forest River and see if this is a manufacturing flaw or what?

Thanks again team.
It is a manufacturing flaw and don't let anybody tell you different. 45's in the line are common and no problem. The pipe must come out and be cut off. It may require removing the tank. Make them pay for the camera you bought.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, water, xlr