Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2023, 10:48 PM   #1

05 Rockwood 2601 power problem

Hey all.

Having problems with ac power. Camper has been sitting about a year and, even though shore power was connected, battery was dead. I thought it was trickle charging thru the system as it always had, but apparently not. Figured the battery went bad, so I put a new RV/deep cycle battery in. Now I'm not sure if the converter or inverter may have a problem - put the refrigerator on auto to make sure it was running ok, and it drained the new battery even though 30 amp was plugged in. Microwave is on, TV is operable etc. 120 volts at the outlets (although my tester shows hot and neutral are backwards- is this normal in an RV?). A/C also runs fine. Seems the 120v stuff is operable.

After turning the fridge on, after a day or two, with the fridge on auto, it was clicking the Check light. Gas is off, since I assumed it would automatically see the ac power and use that. Also the overhead lights were pretty dim when I turned them on, even still plugged into shore power. Not sure if the fridge trying to ignite the gas for some time, since it apparently thought there was no ac power, might have messed up one of the cells in the new battery, having problems charging it now. It doesn't appear to charge with the camper system, I am using an external battery charger right now. If the battery is disconnected to charge it, and the shore power is still plugged in, can that mess up the converter? Hope I didn't mess up there.

Checked all the fuses I could find (with all power disconnected first), and everything is in good shape. Took the cover off of the electric board in the outside refrigerator compartment, three amp and 5 amp glass fuses were good. Checked the 30 amp blade fuse under the camper by the hitch and it's good. All the breakers have been reset on the inside, none of the 12 volt Breakers are showing red. Don't see any type of other reset buttons anywhere . Not sure what to check next. Thankful for any ideas...
TnCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the Electrical and Charging Systems sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to that sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, rockwood