Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #1

Question '07 Shamrock - New Owner - Electrical not working - Help!

Hi there - really glad to find this forum - looks like a great community.

We just bought an `07 Shamrock 233 Hybrid - no manuals and not much info when we bought it. I have owned a pop-up but it was an `84 and had no appliances so a lot of this is new... When we got it home I was given a 30-amp to 15-amp (normal 3-prong plug) adapter. I plugged it in and thought it was working only to realize that I was draining my battery - no indication that the 110 is working except a slight beep when I unplug it and then plug it back in. I have checked all the fuses on the converter and all seem fine. I also checked the GFI on the plug in the kitchen area and it was fine. There was no GFI on the bathroom outlet which I thought was odd.

Would be grateful to advice about next steps or likely problems. I`m not that experienced in electrical stuff...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
jacks5canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #2

It is common for those adapters to fail. I would try to find a neighbor or friend that has a trailer and borrow their adapter to verify if this is the problem or not.

If you have a multimeter you can also check for power at the converter, just be careful not to short out your test leads.
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 CC Outdoorsman
PrairieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #3

Reading your post again, are you saying that you have power to the electrical outlets on the trailer. If you do then you have a trouble isolated to the converter. You should be able to verify DC voltage out of the converter. You may have to pull the fuses to the battery to verify converter output.

The way the GFI outlets work is you have 1 GFI outlet on the first receptical and this GFI protects all the other outlets on the circuit. This is why you have a GFI in the kitchen and not in the bathroom, even though the outlet in the bathroom is also GFI protected. There is usually stickers placed on the outlets indicating that they are GFI protected but if your trailer is 5 yrs old the sticker may have disappeared.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieBoy View Post
Reading your post again, are you saying that you have power to the electrical outlets on the trailer. If you do then you have a trouble isolated to the converter. You should be able to verify DC voltage out of the converter. You may have to pull the fuses to the battery to verify converter output.

The way the GFI outlets work is you have 1 GFI outlet on the first receptical and this GFI protects all the other outlets on the circuit. This is why you have a GFI in the kitchen and not in the bathroom, even though the outlet in the bathroom is also GFI protected. There is usually stickers placed on the outlets indicating that they are GFI protected but if your trailer is 5 yrs old the sticker may have disappeared.
Outlets do work as does microwave. Nothing else seems to. When I turn on any lights a warning beep sounds - I assume warning me that battery is low. Is there anything I might need to do to `reset` the converter?

Thanks again!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #5

Short of checking fuses, it appears that the converter may be shot. If you are not familiar with using a multimeter, You need to find a friend that is but the best course of action should likely be to take the trailer to your RV dealer and they should be able to troubleshoot it in a few minutes.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Can you read the model number on your converter?
If it is a WFCO, here is a manual that includes a troubleshooting section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	15647  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual - Power Distribution Center WF-8900 English.pdf (1.89 MB, 36 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Site Team

o.k., you first said electrical not working, then you said your outlets and microwave were.
you need to separate the 110vAC electrical system from the 12vDC electrical system.
after reading, it sounds like your 12v stuff isn't working, right?

if so, is the battery new or did it come with the trailer? that's the first place to start.
if the battery is good, then it could be the resettable breaker along the tongue, just behind the battery. this happens often when the battery is installed backwards.

if it's just the 12v stuff, my bet is bad battery or the resettable breaker.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
o.k., you first said electrical not working, then you said your outlets and microwave were.
you need to separate the 110vAC electrical system from the 12vDC electrical system.
after reading, it sounds like your 12v stuff isn't working, right?

if so, is the battery new or did it come with the trailer? that's the first place to start.
if the battery is good, then it could be the resettable breaker along the tongue, just behind the battery. this happens often when the battery is installed backwards.

if it's just the 12v stuff, my bet is bad battery or the resettable breaker.
Hi - thanks for reply! 12v was working at first: interior lights, tried fan on heating/cooling system for a second, bunk fans and lights, then after about 30 minutes they faded and died. I thought I was running off 120, but battery has remained dead and now the 12v does not work. I assume the converter is not working to charge the battery and take over the 12v system. Sound right?
Jeff
Old 06-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #9

It does sound like a converter problem. Read Herk's reply and check for 12 volt.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led pad, shamrock