Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #21
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
nice review posted here

https://youtu.be/7wk3B11Lurk
The coupon code is no longer valid, so the price is $240. Knowledge from the folks here regarding the following comments in the video are greatly appreciated:

- Use with both lead-acid and lithium batteries,
- The cheap controller it comes with being up to the job,
- Adjusting the voltage up on older lead-acid batteries to remove build-up from the plates.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #22

get a 100 watt renogy monocrystaline pael . 30 amp controller. get the package with the long cables . 4 extra ends from ebay. 200.00 dollars or so. keeps me charged. cut off 3 ft to be able to store cables easier. attach ends . make a stand . ikeep my panel under extra bed mattress.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:53 AM   #23

Quote:
the following comments in the video are greatly appreciated:

- Use with both lead-acid and lithium batteries,
- The cheap controller it comes with being up to the job,
- Adjusting the voltage up on older lead-acid batteries to remove build-up from the plates.
From what I know, the difference with using a controller with different battery types is having the ability to change the charge voltage to the battery which the cheap controller seems to have the ability to do...i.e. Li batteries need a higher charge voltage that might boil a lead-acid battery
Some 120 VAC to 12 VDC battery chargers have the ability to De-Sulphate a battery which I always thought was the ability of the charger to give short pulses of high voltage which was supposed to knock off the sulphate accumulated on the plates... the video suggests higher voltage to the plates but at short pulses??? I don't know.

I have a cheap controller like that on a 25 watt solar panel I have on my small fishing boat... it seems to work just fine for the last 5 years. I often use the built-in USB port to keep my phone charging when out on the water. The panel sits horizontal on the deck and only charges the battery for a few hours when actually out fishing, supplementing the alternator on the motor.

I viewed the review yesterday and it seemed like a decent alternative at a fairly attractive price point. If you have interest I would keep an eye out for black Friday discounts and check out the HoboTech guy's webpage for more up to date coupons.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
From what I know, the difference with using a controller with different battery types is having the ability to change the charge voltage to the battery which the cheap controller seems to have the ability to do...i.e. Li batteries need a higher charge voltage that might boil a lead-acid battery
Some 120 VAC to 12 VDC battery chargers have the ability to De-Sulphate a battery which I always thought was the ability of the charger to give short pulses of high voltage which was supposed to knock off the sulphate accumulated on the plates... the video suggests higher voltage to the plates but at short pulses??? I don't know.

I have a cheap controller like that on a 25 watt solar panel I have on my small fishing boat... it seems to work just fine for the last 5 years. I often use the built-in USB port to keep my phone charging when out on the water. The panel sits horizontal on the deck and only charges the battery for a few hours when actually out fishing, supplementing the alternator on the motor.

I viewed the review yesterday and it seemed like a decent alternative at a fairly attractive price point. If you have interest I would keep an eye out for black Friday discounts and check out the HoboTech guy's webpage for more up to date coupons.
Many chargers and solar controllers for Lead Acid batteries have this feature which is usually called "Equalization Mode" or something similar. It's supposed to raise voltage for short periods of time to create a "controlled overcharge" condition. High enough to force current through all cells but not so high it causes electrolyte to boil. Cells in a Lead Acid battery will continue to pass current to a point even when fully charged so any cell that is down a little more than others is now "equalized". Also helps prevent stratification of electrolyte with the heavier Sulfuric Acid settling from the lighter water. Fully charging a battery in itself helps prevent Sulfation. Equalization Mode usually lasts around 10-15 minutes and depending on the charger/controller will only occur after a preset period of inactivity.

Since Lithium Ion batteries' cells don't pass current once fully charged they require cell balancing from the BMS. The higher voltages from the Equalization Mode usually don't harm the Lithium batteries but all manufacturers suggest it be turned off if possible. Lithium Ion batteries do require a higher voltage for charging but there is a limit. Anything over 14.6 is usually blocked by the BMS, turning the battery off if it's exceeded.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan Man View Post
233s roo

I plan to buy a 100w solar suitcase. We won’t do a lot of boon docking so I think the size will be fine for most situations. I want a lightweight option that works as expected.

What would you recommend I buy?
The renogy comes in a nice complete lightweight package. I like mine.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #26
World Wide Wanderer

I have the Renogy 100 amp suitcase setup. It was basically plug-and-play once I verified the polarity of the RV plug.

I have seen right around 10 amps in the full blazing southern sun with optimum angles, we were parked back in the shade.. Usually, it will be more in the 6-8 amp range. I do use the Zamp plug on the side of the unit, mainly because I am lazy.

FWIW it saved us when the WFCO Converter crapped out while we were camping with full hookups one weekend. Kept the batteries topped up enough to keep the fridge board powered up and the vent fans running.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

Renogy has upcoming sale on Amazon, 210 bucks!! I paid 201 for mine, which was a great deal. 210 is very good.
**Just noticed the email says the deal starts at 1745 PST today. You might want to wait till then, maybe price will drop further.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W1267XJ...4720_556052340

**2nd edit. that link does not include a controller. You don't have to pay a lot for a decent 20 amp controller.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar