Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #1

100w solar suitcase brand recommendation

233s roo

I plan to buy a 100w solar suitcase. We won’t do a lot of boon docking so I think the size will be fine for most situations. I want a lightweight option that works as expected.

What would you recommend I buy?
Plan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

Renogy
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #3

https://smile.amazon.com/DOKIO-Monoc...s%2C248&sr=8-4

$100 less than the Renogy and essentially the same product.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

Any recommendation on connecting Dokio panel to Zamp outlet? I bought 330 watt Dokio suitcase and has battery clips but not plug for Zamp. I do have the adapter to switch polarity but not XT60 controller connection to Zamp outlet.
knoxtriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxtriguy View Post
Any recommendation on connecting Dokio panel to Zamp outlet? I bought 330 watt Dokio suitcase and has battery clips but not plug for Zamp. I do have the adapter to switch polarity but not XT60 controller connection to Zamp outlet.
The zamp connector on side of RV is merely an SAE 2 wire connector you can purchase at just about any auto parts store. Usually come with two ends plugged into each other with a length of wire between. Cut wire and use whichever one gives you the right polarity. Cut battery clips off and use butt splice crimped connectors.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:01 PM   #6

Lots of choices out there. May also want to get some cable wire to extended the reach to your suitcase to chase the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/SPARKING-Exte...s%2C256&sr=8-6
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:20 AM   #7

Skip the Zamp connector and go right to the battery after the controller. No need to run it through all that undersized prewired junk.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Skip the Zamp connector and go right to the battery after the controller. No need to run it through all that undersized prewired junk.
Undersized? For a 100 watt solar panel?

With a max current of under 10 amps (more like 8 amps), the factory wiring is more than adequate.

FWIW, the factory pre-wire using a Zamp connector on my TT had #10 awg wire. I feed an average of 12 amp through it with no issues.

Factory wiring (for a Zamp type connector) only becomes inadequate if one feeds more than 200 watts through it.

In reality, most portable panels will produce far less than max output unless in an area with full, blazing sun, and panels are perfectly aligned to capture max power. I'd expect to see output on an average 100 amp setup to be more in the area of 5 amp and that won't even overload 14 ga wire which is the smallest used on most RV's (except for tank level gauge wiring).

Old 11-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #9

I have an Renogy 100w suitcase for my sunseeker 2400w had to change out male connector to a zamp and lengthen to a 30' reach form coach so i can follow the sun. it tops off the batteries.
Flydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #10

I recommend you look at Jackery dot com during their factory sale NOV 16-18 and purchase the 100W folding solar panels... independent tests claim they are the most efficient on the market... search youtube videos for more information... their panels are light, and easy to fold and store... not the cheapest but could be the best on the market right now...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I recommend you look at Jackery dot com during their factory sale NOV 16-18 and purchase the 100W folding solar panels... independent tests claim they are the most efficient on the market... search youtube videos for more information... their panels are light, and easy to fold and store... not the cheapest but could be the best on the market right now...
Two concerns with the Jackery 100W SolarSaga:

1. Their products page says that it is NOT waterproof.

2. I cannot tell whether the product comes with a controller capable of charging RV batteries. All of the pictures show the panels charging Jackery’s own battery packs. None of the connectors look like the kind intended to charge LA batteries.

Is another controller (or an adapter cable) needed?
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Two concerns with the Jackery 100W SolarSaga:

1. Their products page says that it is NOT waterproof.

2. I cannot tell whether the product comes with a controller capable of charging RV batteries. All of the pictures show the panels charging Jackery’s own battery packs. None of the connectors look like the kind intended to charge LA batteries.
First I am a novice with solar, and not an expert on all of the connectors and such...

Waterproof? The canvas surrounding the solar panels is not waterproof, but neither is tent material...it gets wet, but the zipper bags on the back ARE waterproof with waterproof zippers... I guess the panel is cannot be immersed in water but certainly is good in the rain, electrically and mechanically, however the canvas surround will be wet... it dries in the sun also just like a tent would. The canvas is tough and durable, besides being light weight and capable of NO mechanical failure as you might have with a metal hinge and clasps. It is easily deployed and folded in half and stored.
EDIT: I went out and looked more carefully and I see the canvas is more of a polyester fabric rather than cotton canvas

the controller is NOT in the panel... I believe the panel supplies 18 V or more and should be hooked to a controller to then hook to the battery of your choice, whether Li or lead-acid... the panel has excellent solar to electric conversion efficiency

I learned much about the Jackery products from youtube specifically from videos by a guy named Hobotech... He did several vids comparing the Jackery to competition, and to Jackery previous models... very informative.

I did get two of their panels in early August and have bought whatever adapters that I needed from amazon without a problem. Their adapters are only one standard of many connector standards used in the industry as far as I can figure.

I can make detailed photos of the panel if you have any questions about their construction. I have them stored in the camper for a planned trip in January.
EDIT: I did make many photos and will post them soon.

Hope this helps

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #13

Jackery solar detailed photos

images below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_3828.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	682.8 KB
ID:	242987   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3818.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	242988   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3819.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	242989   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3820.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	242990   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3821.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	242991  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #14

more images

more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3822.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	242992   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3825.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	242993   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3826.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	242994   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3827.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	242995   Click image for larger version

Name:	a-IMG_E3824.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	242996  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
First I am a novice with solar, and not an expert on all of the connectors and such...

Waterproof? The canvas surrounding the solar panels is not waterproof, but neither is tent material...it gets wet, but the zipper bags on the back ARE waterproof with waterproof zippers... I guess the panel is cannot be immersed in water but certainly is good in the rain, electrically and mechanically, however the canvas surround will be wet... it dries in the sun also just like a tent would. The canvas is tough and durable, besides being light weight and capable of NO mechanical failure as you might have with a metal hinge and clasps. It is easily deployed and folded in half and stored.
EDIT: I went out and looked more carefully and I see the canvas is more of a polyester fabric rather than cotton canvas

the controller is NOT in the panel... I believe the panel supplies 18 V or more and should be hooked to a controller to then hook to the battery of your choice, whether Li or lead-acid... the panel has excellent solar to electric conversion efficiency

I learned much about the Jackery products from youtube specifically from videos by a guy named Hobotech... He did several vids comparing the Jackery to competition, and to Jackery previous models... very informative.

I did get two of their panels in early August and have bought whatever adapters that I needed from amazon without a problem. Their adapters are only one standard of many connector standards used in the industry as far as I can figure.

I can make detailed photos of the panel if you have any questions about their construction. I have them stored in the camper for a planned trip in January.
EDIT: I did make many photos and will post them soon.

Hope this helps
So, the controller is separate from the panel and purchased separately? The controller would need to be mounted inside the RV?

I was looking for a portable panel with built-in controller so I could easily move the panel between two different RVs. Would the Jackery be not ideal for that situation?
Old 11-13-2020, 03:07 PM   #16

Quote:
So, the controller is separate from the panel and purchased separately? The controller would need to be mounted inside the RV?
again no expert but I believe controllers come in two flavors ( MPPT and another type) and need to be set for the type of battery you are charging as the voltage settings can be different... so yes purchased separately for your situation is the best...

you permanently wire controller to the battery(s) of your choice, set the controller settings and then plug the solar into the controller, which will take the 18V output and charge the battery according to the settings you provided

EDIT: the charge controller IS built into the Jackery Solar Generators that they sell as a system or separate unit... so a built-in controller to the panel would not work in that setup... all of the solar generators I have looked at have built-in charge controllers.

I'm sure our resident solar experts on here will supply an answer to this more authoritatively

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 11-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #17

For the price of a Single Jackery 100 watt panel one can purchase TWO Renogy 100 watt panels, wire them in series, and feed them into an MPPT controller which can be mounted in the trailer.

Each Renogy panel is the same construction as the Jackery panel, Monocrystaline, which is the most efficient available.

Yes, one would be missing fancy zipper case and plastic handles but a couple hinges and a suitcase toolbox latch would make a foldable set of panels. Purchase a heavy duty 50' 10 awg extension cord from Harbor freight, some MC-4 connectors for one end to connect to the panel wires and an SAE connector for the trailer end of the extension cord.

For a "carry case" do like others have done on this forum and use an old sleeping bag for padded protection for the folded panels.

Charging current available will be twice the amount available from a 100 watt panel and by using the MPPT controller ALL of the produced electricity from the solar panels will be available when the batteries are at their heaviest demand. Yes PWM controllers are cheaper but they start charging later in the "solar day", shut down earlier, and when the sun is at it's max they actually shut off power to regulate output voltage.

As for the Jackery panels, they look nice with their zipper bags, etc, but they're designed to be used with the other Jackery power products to recharge them.

Solar isn't as complicated as some will want to make it. Panels like the Renogy come pre-wired with MC-4 connectors on pigtails.. Plug the + into the - on the other panel then send the power from the remaining two wires to the proper input terminals of the solar controller. Send the + and - output from the controller to the proper terminals of the battery. Controller setup is easy as most come with Lead Acid batteries as default. Any changes are shown in the manual.

Heck, it's so simple most Dealer employees can even do it

Old 11-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #18

You could always build your own.

I built a suitcase using two Renogy Eclipse 100W panels wired in series and stainless steel hardware from Amazon. I use a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 controller that's mounted in our pass-thru in the trailer.

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
You could always build your own.

I built a suitcase using two Renogy Eclipse 100W panels wired in series and stainless steel hardware from Amazon. I use a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 controller that's mounted in our pass-thru in the trailer.

DIY is nice. ZAMP would charge close to $900 for what you built yourself. Renogy only $600 but neither with Bluetooth monitoring capability.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:49 AM   #20

CHEAP 130w Solar SUITCASE KIT

nice review posted here

https://youtu.be/7wk3B11Lurk

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
solar