Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #1

110 Outlet Fell Out

Have any of you successfully remounted an electrical outlet?

I have a Rockwood Mini Lite 1909S and the outlet near the foot of the bed just pulled out when I unplugged a charger. It appears that the outlet hole was cut a tad to big. There are to plastic tabs at corners that are supposed to clamp to the paneling. Trouble is, as you tighten them the swing in the direction you are turning the screw and fail to contact the paneling. Have only had this trailer since April and this happened on the first trip. Contacted my dealer and he said he couldn't even look at it until September. All can come up with is making a longer plastic tab.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thx,

B
TBDub
TBDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #2

Try pulling the box from the opening and see if increasing them and flipping the tabs if they won't hold then. As you screw them in one end should bind against the box and hold. Or go to a big box store and get a house outlet box and put that in.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

if you need to replace the box just be careful of the box depts. camper walls are not as thick as house hold 2x4 walls. use a "new work" box with tabs for east install.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Decyphering all of the above, the tabs should only swing out to perpendicular from the box. If they are swinging all the way in, you can try to set them straight out then pull on the box to seat them against the paneling to maintain the correct position while tightening. You can use a long screw in the center hole for the wall plate for something to grab.
Also, try to keep the tabs as close to the panel as posible for minimal tightening.
or You can stick a piece of tape on the back of the panel for the tab to hit and stop.

If you cannot get the tabs in place you might need to get a replacement. In that case, Kimber45 is kind of correct. Do watch the depth. However, you need an Old Work box, not a new work box.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

Thx Duckogram,

I'm able to get the tabs perpendicular from the box but have a hard time keeping them there. I didn't want to exert a lot of pressure pulling on the box while tightening due to the thin panel wall. I'll try using the tape. There is less than an 1/8 of wall to grab.

TBDub
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #6

Certainly sounds like the hole was cut to big, more quality workmanship !!
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #7

I am in the process of replacing outlets in our 2017 cedar creek cottage. These outlets have the swing tabs your talking about no box to hold them in the wall. I went to home depot and got some low voltage boxes with the tabs they were half the thickness holes had to be cut bigger in the wall than I could use a regular outlet.

Bruce McKinney
Bruce McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

I use Home Depot "Carlon 17 cu.in. Shallow Old Work Box" Store SKU# 212695! I just bought some of these on "Closeout" I used My Military Discount and Saved 10%! Youroo!!
Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #9
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce McKinney View Post
... I went to home depot and got some low voltage boxes with the tabs...
Mr. McKinney,
If the boxes you are installing are Orange and you are using them for a duplex outlet that is 120v, you are performing a modification that is not safe. 120v is not low voltage and nothing to fool with. Just sayin.
Be Safe,
Ducky
Old 07-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #10

What I would do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBDub View Post
Have any of you successfully remounted an electrical outlet?

I have a Rockwood Mini Lite 1909S and the outlet near the foot of the bed just pulled out when I unplugged a charger. It appears that the outlet hole was cut a tad to big. There are to plastic tabs at corners that are supposed to clamp to the paneling. Trouble is, as you tighten them the swing in the direction you are turning the screw and fail to contact the paneling. Have only had this trailer since April and this happened on the first trip. Contacted my dealer and he said he couldn't even look at it until September. All can come up with is making a longer plastic tab.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thx,

B
TBDub
Here is what I would do:
Keep the present outlet setup.

Get some 1/8" acrylic plastic, or some heavy gauge sheet metal. Cut two strips about 3/4" wide and 1" longer than the width of the wall hole. Put some Liquid Nails or similar construction adhesive on the end of each strip and along one side. Reach in and place the strips on the back side of the panel so that they overlap by 1/2" on each side and and about 3/8" across the top and bottom. Squeeze toward you, so they are glued to the back side of the panel. This will have the effect of shrinking the hole by 3/4" in height.

Let them dry. Re-install outlet.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #11

The outlet under our dinette did the same thing. The hole was cut too big. I recently did something very similar to what Larry suggested, but I used some fake bead board material I had in the garage. Being installed in the dinette, I had easy access to it and it was a simple fix.

We just camped for a week and used the outlet several times without a problem. If my fix should fail in the future, I'll try Larry's idea of using acrylic or sheet metal because that would probably be more sturdy.

Cindy
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Home Depot has a military discount. Do you have to be active duty or can you show them a DD-214? Thx
Old 07-08-2018, 01:30 PM   #13

Larry,

Excellent. I knew there would be a brighter bulb here.

Thx.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Home Depot has a military discount. Do you have to be active duty or can you show them a DD-214? Thx
I show my DD Form 2 - Retired ID card. FYI Lowe’s has a registration process but accepts ID card as well.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

1101 outlet fell out

Ususlly it's a active duity or retired military ID. They may take a DD214 if you did not do 20 yrs. Thank you for your service
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #16

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Here is what I would do:
Keep the present outlet setup.

Get some 1/8" acrylic plastic, or some heavy gauge sheet metal. Cut two strips about 3/4" wide and 1" longer than the width of the wall hole. Put some Liquid Nails or similar construction adhesive on the end of each strip and along one side. Reach in and place the strips on the back side of the panel so that they overlap by 1/2" on each side and and about 3/8" across the top and bottom. Squeeze toward you, so they are glued to the back side of the panel. This will have the effect of shrinking the hole by 3/4" in height.

Let them dry. Re-install outlet.

Larry
Larry is right. I have used this method in an older mobil home. I used short pieces of paint stir sticks.
Good luck
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

You can also cut a pc of the 1/8" paneling larger than the original hole, trace the outline of the box in the center of it, cut it out and then glue the pc to the back of the original hole and then install the outlet again,
Old 07-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #18
Site Team

Get two small blocks of wood about 1/2" X 1/2" and glue them on the inside of the wall one on top and one on the bottom where you want the swing tab to stop. Let the glue dry then install the box. The blocks should keep the tabs from swinging too far and keep them perpendicular to the top and bottom of the hole.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Larry,

Excellent. I knew there would be a brighter bulb here.

Thx.
Using the "Original outlet" that they use in Most RV installations are the "No Box/swing tab/push the wire through Forked Tabs for Contact type" these are made for Quick Assembly Line installations in a thin hollow wall! Using Shallow wall Boxes with outlets that require Screws to retain the wire are a Quality/ Safe install that can all be installed from the Front side! Youroo!!