Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
wls

12 v to 6 v

I currently have 2, 12 volt batteries, thinking of replacing them, with 4, 6 volt ones. My question, what size battery cables should I use, Thanks
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2

2016 Camping Days=38
2017 Camping Days=24
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #2

Think of your cables like water pipes. The bigger the pipe the better and more efficient the flow.

I recently did some wiring and matched what the factory had done.. 6ga I think. It was extra wiring I had laying around. I just noticed it matched and had some ends that fit.

I wouldn't put smaller wiring between the batteries to wire them up.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

I relocated my batteries about 5 feet away from where they were and used 1/0 to wire the batteries together and to connect them to where the original 2-12v batteries were because frankly, I didn't know any better and it didn't cost that much more. I bought 15ft each of red and black welding cable for a little over $100. I am sure I am grossly oversized, but better safe than sorry. I used the same cable to wire up a 2000w inverter, because I had extra.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I relocated my batteries about 5 feet away from where they were and used 1/0 to wire the batteries together and to connect them to where the original 2-12v batteries were because frankly, I didn't know any better and it didn't cost that much more. I bought 15ft each of red and black welding cable for a little over $100. I am sure I am grossly oversized, but better safe than sorry. I used the same cable to wire up a 2000w inverter, because I had extra.

With 12 volt battery systems I'm not so sure there is such a thing as "grossly oversized" when it comes to cables. If upgrading I'd recommend the largest practical wire size so when you add future power consuming items you don't have to go back and spend the same money twice.

For those who an alternative to the huge, inflexible, "ought sized cables" you can get the same current carrying capability (with minimal voltage drop) by just using two smaller gauge wires in parallel. Often suitable cables are on the rack at an auto parts store with terminals already factory crimped.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wires are like resistors in an electric circuit. One you know the maximum number of amps, you can choose appropriate wire gauge. So if you know the maximum number of amps that will go in at at time given your converter size, (mine is WFCO 35 amp) and max current draw out, you can determine wire gauge by knowing the distance the cable must run. Longer runs require a heavier gauge cable to accommodate the current without overheating than shorter runs. The resistance is a factor of length and gauge of conductor. This allows you to use lighter gauge cables on very short runs, like jumpers. I know this does not answer your question specifically, but it will help you understand why you need a certain minimum cable thickness, depending on where it is in circuit. Here is a good link to calculate the gauge you require.
https://enerdrive.com.au/wp-content/...-correctly.pdf

FYI, I used a Camco 24" 2-gauge cable on my 2 golf cart batt setup, all been good.