Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

12 Volt

Help! We are in Florida for the month of March (home is Ontario). We are in a 2018 Salem Cruiselite 241QBXL. Coming down, my battery on the trailer drained. I bought a new AGM battery. After a few days, that one drained. Seems like we are running 12 volt only from the battery. How can I confirm that? We are plugged into shore power. I checked that fuse under the trailer (front near battery) it has the same power on both terminals. I checked the inline fuse and it seems fine. I looked at the converter (picture attached). It's hard wired and I do not see any fuses. What can I check before I call a mobile service?

https://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap
James 1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 1981 View Post
Help! We are in Florida for the month of March (home is Ontario). We are in a 2018 Salem Cruiselite 241QBXL. Coming down, my battery on the trailer drained. I bought a new AGM battery. After a few days, that one drained. Seems like we are running 12 volt only from the battery. How can I confirm that? We are plugged into shore power. I checked that fuse under the trailer (front near battery) it has the same power on both terminals. I checked the inline fuse and it seems fine. I looked at the converter (picture attached). It's hard wired and I do not see any fuses. What can I check before I call a mobile service?
Look in the 120 volt AC breaker box. Look for a breaker labeled Converter. Reset (off then on ) measure the voltage. Look at the 12 volt fuses. look for two or three that say "reverse polarity". check them. Not just look at them.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #3

Quote:
The converter fuses will not be inline. They will knife type that plug into the converter itself. Your pic did not post. Is there a LED on the converter? Usually lights when converter is running.

As other poster posted check your converter breaker...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
What you didn't say was if you actually have shore power to the rig even tho you are plugged in. Look at the microwave if its lit then you have 110V. Now check the circuit breaker if installed for the converter. if all is ok take a voltage reading at the batteries if it is not somewhere around 13 volts the battery charger portion of your converter is out. You can use a regular battery charger hooked to your battery and plugged into your outside plug to provide 12V power to the rig. Let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:09 PM   #5

After reading your post a couple times everything points to one of three things.

No power to converter either from power post when plugged into shore power or the breaker has tripped.

No power out of the converter either because the reverse polarity fuse(s) have blown (most common cause) or the converter is bad.

Start at the beginning with a power check from the shore power connection, through the circuit breaker, then the output of the converter.

Pull the reverse polarity fuses and check continuity with a Multimeter.

Then check for 13 or more volts at the output.

If you have 13 or more volts at the Converter then it's a matter of checking wire connections between converter and battery. Since it appears you had battery power in the RV as your new battery worked until it went dead I doubt you have a wiring issue but more likely blown reverse polarity fuses or bad converter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #6

Thank you all. I am getting 120 power. The converter breaker seems fine. Turned it on and off already. I will test the breaker under the trailer near the battery.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Thank you all. I am getting 120 power. The converter breaker seems fine. Turned it on and off already. I will test the breaker under the trailer near the battery.
There is no Seems fine in electric trouble shooting. Use a meter. Either it works or it doesen't!
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
Site Team

You said
Quote:
I checked that fuse under the trailer (front near battery) it has the same power on both terminals.
Do you remember what the voltage was?

When the battery was drained, did you have any lights working in the RV?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

If so, with your R/V unplugged from shore power, measure the voltage at the battery terminals. (at the battery itself)

Now... plug your R/V in to shore power and measure the voltage again and let us know what those readings are.

What we are trying to decipher is whether the converter is providing enough voltage to charge the battery.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #10

Thank You

Thanks everyone. It was the 12 volt fuse. I've replaced it and I'm charging the battery. Everything seems to be working fine.
James

Old 03-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #11

Thanks for responding back... where was this 12 volt fuse?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt