Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

12v battery question

I recently bought a new battery a couple weeks ago. It was fully charged and I also installed a disconnect switch so I can easily turn the power on and off. Last night my wife went in to clean our camper up for our first trip. I checked the voltage on the battery and it was 12.7. About 30 minutes later I checked and it was 12.2 but my wife had the lights on in the camper. Is this why I got a much lower reading? It’s a group 24 battery.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpotapa View Post
I recently bought a new battery a couple weeks ago. It was fully charged and I also installed a disconnect switch so I can easily turn the power on and off. Last night my wife went in to clean our camper up for our first trip. I checked the voltage on the battery and it was 12.7. About 30 minutes later I checked and it was 12.2 but my wife had the lights on in the camper. Is this why I got a much lower reading? It’s a group 24 battery.
You probably bought a dual purpose marine battery, which isn't a true deep cycle battery.
If it has a CCA(cold cranking amp)rating, it's not a true deep cycle battery.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You probably bought a dual purpose marine battery, which isn't a true deep cycle battery.
If it has a CCA(cold cranking amp)rating, it's not a true deep cycle battery.

You’re right, it does have CCA. We camp where there is shore power. The only thing I need the battery for is when we are at my storage place to raise and lower the camper. Do you think this battery will be fine?
Old 05-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
You’re right, it does have CCA. We camp where there is shore power. The only thing I need the battery for is when we are at my storage place to raise and lower the camper. Do you think this battery will be fine?
If you never dry or boondock, then yes.
You need the battery to power the emergency breakaway switch when towing it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Just be aware that if you leave your camper in the storage lot for a prolonged period of time, a battery can get lazy.....assuming you have disconnected it from any parasitic draw. Hopefully, it will not lose too much power so that you can raise/lower the top. These motors demand a significant amount from a battery, so if it becomes significantly slower or not at all, the battery needs to be charged.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Just be aware that if you leave your camper in the storage lot for a prolonged period of time, a battery can get lazy.....assuming you have disconnected it from any parasitic draw. Hopefully, it will not lose too much power so that you can raise/lower the top. These motors demand a significant amount from a battery, so if it becomes significantly slower or not at all, the battery needs to be charged.

We camp 1-2 times a month from now until October so we should be good with the battery. Thanks for the advice.

Tags
battery