Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

12v outlet in gaming compartment

We just got our Rockwood 8265 5th wheel out for it's first outing last weekend, mainly just to 'debug' it for a couple planned longer trips coming up (and since we have to take it back to the dealer for some warranty work anyway).

My question now has to do with the built in 12v plug in the gaming cabinet to the left and under the TV. Basically the question is how many amps/watts output should I expect to get out of it?

I have a 400 watt inverter that when hooked to a 12v deep cycle marine battery runs both the TV and a large fan (if needed), but the 12v plug that came with it is limited to 80 watts, so it won't even run the TV. I also have a small 150 watt inverter that I keep in the car for charging stuff, the GPS, etc., and it will run the TV from the 12v outlet, but will not run the fan.

I have no problem bringing along a battery just for the 'toys', as I have for years, but I was hoping I could use that 12v outlet to run more stuff. With 4 golf cart batteries linked in series I have enough on-board 'juice' that I was hoping I could do away with that additional battery (although it is handy to have in the garage for short term power outages, but it is hard on the back lugging it back and forth each trip)

For now I envision putting the battery and inverter (with a loud built-in fan) outside under the slide (to keep dry), and running an extension cord up through a slide 'seam', and plugging in the TV, and fan (and any other stuff), and use the gaming 12v outlet for charging Kindles, phones, laptops, etc.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
calberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Usually a 12 volt outlet has a 20 amp fuse, therefore, 12 times 20 equals 240 watts.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Usually a 12 volt outlet has a 20 amp fuse, therefore, 12 times 20 equals 240 watts.
Great, thanks! Sounds like I can at least use the outlet for the TV, but will have to stick with the battery if I want to go over 240 watts.

Steve
calberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 Volt