Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

12V vs. 120V Power Issues

Hello folks...my first post here, although I have read through the forums many times and found plenty of useful information.

About 18 months ago I purchased a used 2007 Rockwood Freedom 1620. I was expecting some issues based on the price I paid, and indeed there have been a few, most minor, and most I've been able to figure out even though this is my first experience ever with a trailer...lots of thanks to the existing info on this forum!

So the newest deal...

Last night I discovered that I am getting no 12V power to my interior stuff...lights, water pump, CO detector basically...not a lot that would have power in this little bare bones pop-up trailer. I know the battery is charged and is supplying some power, because it is running the power lift system that lift's the trailer's roof. When plugged into 120V shore power, the lights, water pump, and CO detector run fine...just for some reason the 12V is not supplying them power. In the past, this has not been an issue...it's new!!

I'm thinking that the converter must be working, correct? Because (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a rookie) the converter must be converting the 120V to 12V to power the lights and such when plugged into shore power...that and the converter does seem to charge the battery, although I'm not 100% sure about this because I do use a external battery charger for the battery from time to time as well.

So it could be a few things...missing connection somewhere...blown fuse/breaker maybe?? Inside the converter box??

I'm a little at a loss for electrical stuff...even something simple like this is definitely not my strong suit.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide.
AERO63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #2

If and that is a big IF you are positive the battery is fully charged, then the only other option is blown fuses, or a main circuit breaker has tripped. I would suspect one of the main breakers first. Follow the positive (+) battery cable. You should find one or more breakers ( metal can looking thing a couple inches square), and feel around for a very small button on the bottom of the breaker. Push it in and go test things out. One very important tool you will want to purchase is a VOM. They are cheap and once you learn the basics easy to use. With them you can trace about every electrical circuit in your trailer.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #3

I can't be 100% sure that the battery is fully charged, but I just took it off the charger last night and it has plenty of juice to raise the pop-up's roof using the power lift system...I would think if it had the power to do that it would have the power to run the lights, etc if power was being supplied to them...but again, I'm a total rookie here so I could be way off base with that assumption...I usually am when I assume!! haha

These main breakers you're talking about...they will generally be somewhere off the battery's positive cable? Generally close to the battery? I'm just trying to envision where they might be located on my trailer...I'm in the office right now, trailer is at home for the moment...

THANKS for the help!!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There's a switch that may be stuck .
When you lift the top it releases a switch to allow 12v items to work.
By the sink?
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #5

Yes sir, I've thought about that switch...that's something I'll have to try when I get home this evening and pop 'er back up to check things out.

I wonder if ALL the 12V acccesories are tied to that switch, or only some...a question I don't have an answer for.

Definitely will be checking that switch, and you're right it's right near the sink. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO63 View Post
I can't be 100% sure that the battery is fully charged, but I just took it off the charger last night and it has plenty of juice to raise the pop-up's roof using the power lift system...I would think if it had the power to do that it would have the power to run the lights, etc if power was being supplied to them...but again, I'm a total rookie here so I could be way off base with that assumption...I usually am when I assume!! haha

These main breakers you're talking about...they will generally be somewhere off the battery's positive cable? Generally close to the battery? I'm just trying to envision where they might be located on my trailer...I'm in the office right now, trailer is at home for the moment...

THANKS for the help!!
He is talking about a resettable breaker that may be installed. Follow the red wire off the battery (runs underneath trailer) back to where it junctions and splits off (usually tucked right behind the first crossbar of frame). There usually is a standard house looking electrical box with a resettable circuit breaker/junction next to it. The small gray (maybe 1"wide x 2" tall) junction point should have a black button on the side/bottom that you can push in to reset. (see pic).

If this does not work i'd try seeing if you have a GFI plug inside somewhere and hit the reset on it. May bring everything back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	18263   Click image for larger version

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	18264  

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #7

Great information Blake...very much appreciated!

If this box and breaker isn't underneath the trailer for some reason could it possibly be somewhere inside the trailer...maybe near the converter?

I've crawled around under the trailer working on the lift cable before and don't remember seeing the box, but a definite possibility that I could have missed it since I wasn't at all looking for it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Its a possibility it could be somewhere else but they usually put them pretty close to the battery. You might not be able to see if you just look under the trailer. They tend to tuck them up pretty high to keep them out of the elements and keep road debrit from hitting them

Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #9

Awesome, thanks again. This site is great, so much good info...and I need most of all of it is seems. This trailer has been a project, but it's fun!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Team

these resettable breakers/fuses are nearly always located between the battery and the front of the trailer, along the A-frame of the tongue.

it allows outside things like the electric lift or power tongue jack to work by providing the power in front of the breaker.

if you don't get many more answers, you may want to search thru the Tent Camper/Popup section for other FR popup owners that had similar problems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #11

Again everyone, thanks for the tips and the help...I found the problem and like I figured it must be, it was pretty simple...a fuse. Not blown, but completely missing which was strange, hard to believe one would just fall out! Take a pretty good bit of force to pull them out!

Anyhow, the fuse was missing from a wire leading from the positive battery terminal about 12" or so from the battery. Stuck a new one in there and everything lit right up like normal!

I do have one more question though if anyone can help...I used a 10 amp fuse (the smallest I had) but I have no idea if this is the correct size...any idea on that front?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO63
Again everyone, thanks for the tips and the help...I found the problem and like I figured it must be, it was pretty simple...a fuse. Not blown, but completely missing which was strange, hard to believe one would just fall out! Take a pretty good bit of force to pull them out!

Anyhow, the fuse was missing from a wire leading from the positive battery terminal about 12" or so from the battery. Stuck a new one in there and everything lit right up like normal!

I do have one more question though if anyone can help...I used a 10 amp fuse (the smallest I had) but I have no idea if this is the correct size...any idea on that front?

Thanks again everyone.
I'd leave the 10 amp in and if it keeps blowing step up to a 15.
Most all 12 volt circuits in camper are 15 amp or less.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #13

Thanks f1100turbo...I mostly just wanted to be sure I didn't need a really small fuse, like a 3 amp or something. I'll stick with the 10, didn't blow over the weekend, everything worked well.

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO63
Thanks f1100turbo...I mostly just wanted to be sure I didn't need a really small fuse, like a 3 amp or something. I'll stick with the 10, didn't blow over the weekend, everything worked well.

Thanks again!
Only fuse that I remember that small is for radio clock.
Good luck.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #15

Thanks BlakeB for that info. I had the same problem, but had NO IDEA there was a reset button on that junction box. I reset it and now I have 12V power inside my Rockwood 2604. Thanks again!! This Forum has saved me more than once - great help & advise here!
vsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #16

No problem! Glad it helped you out..

Tags
12 Volt