Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2024, 11:18 AM   #1

15 AMP S/O HITCH - fuse panel problem

We have a 2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2613BS we bought new last year. We just returned home from a 4 week trip, in which we experienced a brand new failure!

The "15 AMP S/O HITCH" fuse has blown four times over the last three weeks. It appears to happen as we set up at a new campsite. It appears the circuit supports the LED light strip on the front of the RV ("docking light"). It also renders the sofa console power outlet and USB jacks useless, as well the LED lights above the bed.

I am now starting to troubleshoot what may cause this and how best to isolate this failure. I suspect one of the circuits has shorted to ground, as the fuse "pops" within a short period of time after reconnecting power at a new campsite.

Additional background --- we enjoyed six RV trips last year, following the purchase in April 2023. One of those trips was four weeks through the Rockies, in the US and Canada. This recent trip was the second trip this season, and we are now "beyond warranty" by one month.

Has anyone had this experience? Can you provide insight regarding how to proceed and resolve this failure mode?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240521_182311.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	300169  
starrterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:37 PM   #2

A good place to start is crawl under the trailer and find the wires coming from the main part into the slide out. Possible they are pinched or damaged in some way.

If not there you are going to have to start pulling out false panels and looking under everything to try and follow that circuit and see where the problem is.

Good luck.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:01 AM   #3

And check the fuse after activating each slide.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 08:12 AM   #4

wonder how accurate the fuse list is?

the fuses are 12v and the list shows stuff I would consider 120v AC
list is also applied over the original?

weird
Old 05-26-2024, 09:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
wonder how accurate the fuse list is?

the fuses are 12v and the list shows stuff I would consider 120v AC
list is also applied over the original?

weird
Its normal for Rockwood to slap a sticker over the original paper work. Those are all 12V items. Things like the "TV" I think are for the antenna switcher and stuff. But I know in my trailer the "S/O Hitch" fuse controls the lights in the slide out, not the slide out motor, thats a separate circuit breaker under the battery. So its very possible the cable going from the trailer to the slid out got damaged or pinched.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 03:46 PM   #6

Upon return from our trip, I did some troubleshooting myself, and thought I had isolated the failure mode. I was able to safely remove the electrical box under the kitchen cabinets and trace out the circuit wiring. I identified the same wire at the exterior switch to the LED light bar and isolated it by removing the switch (rendering the light bar "out of circuit").

With a fresh fuse installed, battery power restored, all utilities on that circuit (minus the LED light bar) were operational. I then road tested the RV and returned it to our storage unit. Upon closing up the unit, I found the fuse had blown. This points to the possibility of an intermittent ground short occurring during movement of the RV.

In speaking with a local RV electrician, he also indicated I should ensure all electrical connections to the fuse and breaker panels (e.g. loose wiring, screw contacts, etc.). Additionally, double confirm all wire nut connections for effective connectivity.

When I looked under the front slideout, I found no wiring connections that were compromised. I have not checked the rear slideout, as I perceive "S/O Hitch" fuse is specific to the front slide (may be a bad assumption that I must double confirm!).

I am ordering a 50 pack of 15A fuses to go through an iterative process of seeking to isolate possible problems and test the theories, one by one. My local RV dealer "warned me" that at $150/hr, it could take "hours" to fully trace out the circuit to locate the chort ($1000+!!!).
starrterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrterry View Post
It also renders the sofa console power outlet and USB jacks useless, as well the LED lights above the bed.
Either slide from what I read. Sofa and bed are on different slidesouts. That is why I mentioned checking the fuse after each slideout movement.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, hitch, panel