Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #21

It is easier to just disconnect the positive battery cable and that cuts all the parasitic draws. The LP/CO/Fire will operate even with battery disconnect turned to off.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #22
Dobbs from WI

When I use my self-installed battery disconnect the only thing still attached to the battery are the wires going to the break-away switch. That way the battery is still relatively charged without the paradisiac draws and available to activate the brakes if I forget to flip the switch.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #23

Batteries

Best to take both batteries out and put them on good maintainance style chargers. I live in TX w/o some charge, my batteries will be below 50% charge in 2 months, even w/ disconnecting them. This kills the life of the battery. Also if you leave them connected w/ solar and accidentally pull the safety cable, it will kill the battery if 5 days. Guess how I know. We keep our trailer in storage and do not trust that the solar panel or batteries would still be there 2 month later.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:11 PM   #24

Just a FWIW. I use a 2 watt Coleman solar battery maintainer. Had it for 2 winters now along with use between trips. Does not require a controller. My install has a pair of battery clips always on the battery terminals with the wire hanging out of the battery box. There is a connector to the solar panel. When I park the rig I plug it in and set the panel to catch sun. Has been more than enough to cover the self discharge of the battery.
My battery disconnect does disconnect everything...

Upside, if the panel decides to grow legs, I'm only out about $15. I also considered the 3.5 watt Coleman that runs about $25.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries