Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:11 PM   #1

2004 Forest River T25 Light switch not working

Hi there! We are brand new owners of a 2004 bumper pull Sandpiper t25. So far we are really enjoying it, after upgrading from a 1986 trailer. lol anyway, we cannot get the light switch to work on the inside of the main door. It's supposed to turn on the inner light and outer light on the side of the trailer. We get continuity but no voltage. The inside light doesn't turn on, neither does the light over the futon which is located in the front area, and the light on the outside that shines on the tongue of the trailer. Can anyone give any tips before we pay to have an electrician come fix it? It's frustrating that there is no wiring diagram out there. My dad who knows quite a bit about electricity can't figure it out either, his suspicion is it's a fuse somewhere, but all the fuses in the panel have been checked and rechecked. We have pulled down all the lights to check connections, but it's not telling us much since for some reason we aren't getting any voltage on any wires.

Anyway, if someone has an ideas, please let us know. This light switch will be hard to live without since we can't turn on the outside lights, and coming in to a dark trailer isn't super safe. Thank you!
SoHappilyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you tell us the make of your RV? T25 doesn't tell us much. We don't know if it's a Wildwood, Sierra, Sandpiper, Salem, etc.?

Does other 12 volt items work? Vent fans, furnace, other lights, etc.?

The fuses for lights should all be in the power center. Do you have voltage on both sides of all the fuses?

Are there any labels in the power center that might indicate which fuse is for those lights?

P.S. Welcome to FRF. Also if we were close enough to each other I'd be glad to come give you a hand.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #3

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry, I did add Sandpiper in to the text afterwards. That is important, it's also the west coast version as far as we can tell. Everything else in the trailer works great. We did pull all the fuses and meter read to make sure they were good on both ends. There is nothing specific in the fuse box that tells us anything, it just says "lights" for 3 different fuses. That is what is throwing my dad for a loop is everything but what is connected to this light switch works. We also find it strange that you can't turn the light on at the source. If you can think of anything else to try, we would appreciate it!
SoHappilyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
Site Team

The way those lights are wired is that power runs to the wall switch and then to the light, so the wall switch has to be on and supplying power to the fixture for the local switch to work.

I'm sure you did, but did you check the wiring at the fuses to make sure that one wasn't loose there?

It could be a broken wire between the switch and power center.

It may be easier to abandon that wire and try to route a new one to the switch. At any rate some tracing is going to be required.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #5

I may have missed something since there are few comments but on my Wildwood, the fixtures that have wall switches also have rocker switches at the fixture. If you flip the wall switch and nothing happens then the switch is off at the fixture. Might try that.
'15 (6) : '16 (32) : '17 (41) : '18 (35) : '19 (38) : '20 (15) : '21 (15) :
Sebourn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, light, switch