Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwolf 700 View Post
(Just a note, I wasn't clear in my original post. I am going the end of July 2021.
Date was just a reference point for temps and amount of daylight available).

Thanks for all the input. Like I said, we'll be gone most of the day on pretty much all the days so just static drain was my biggest concern as I can be fairly frugal with the batteries.
I would love to put panels on the roof and since my build has yet to start, I could get it pre-wired but......my wife loves parking under the trees. The more the better so I have to have mobility. Thanks for the tip on the wind issue, I'll make sure I come pre rigged with a sand bag.

You know what? I just looked up the pre-wire cost for this unit, $145. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow and add that on. Not sure what you get, but I guess I'll find out.
If it's not too late, I recommend against the pre-wire option. We paid for it but are dissatisfied. On my 2507S, the wire location is half the length of the trailer away from the batteries and the wire gauge is inadequate, even if the distance were less than that. Also, their intent assumes using a flush mount controller. Those are available only as PMW 30A. Again, not ideal. Cheaper, better options are available.

I ended up repurposing the 8 ga wires intended to link the controller to the battery by combining them with the stock 8 ga wire for the charger/controller. The result is the equivalent of a 3 ga wire. The cheap stock WFCO works a lot better, so it's not a total loss, but I will install all new solar wire and equipment in an entirely different location. In my case, that will be a front corner. That's much closer to the battery.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #22

I ended up repurposing the 8 ga wires intended to link the controller to the battery by combining them with the stock 8 ga wire for the charger/controller. The result is the equivalent of a 3 ga wire.

Your guage equivalent with 2 8 guage wires is actually 5. Electrons aren’t smart enough. Lol.
darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by darb View Post
I ended up repurposing the 8 ga wires intended to link the controller to the battery by combining them with the stock 8 ga wire for the charger/controller. The result is the equivalent of a 3 ga wire.

Your guage equivalent with 2 8 guage wires is actually 5. Electrons aren’t smart enough. Lol.
The 2 8 ga wires from the solar controller, when combined with the stock 8 ga wire from the WFCO charger, are the equivalent of 3 AWG. ;^)

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #24

Another helpful hint for portable solar, use ac extension cord for extending solar panels to get to sunny location, I used the 30 amp since I have plenty of it, I used a male side for the panel, connect the ground and hot for the positive panel wire to increase awg size, RV side I pull 10 ft out with the female connecter, now I can connect between 15, 20 ft if needed, you don’t need to roll out those ridiculous 12v 2 wire stiff solar cables
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar