2014 Brookstone by Coachmen Electrical Overload
First post in this forum. I have a 2014 Brookstone by Coachman 5th wheel purchased used from a friend who took excellent care of it.
My wife and I plugged into a 50amp outlet at a KOA campground. I use a SurgeGuard highend surge protector which did not detect any issues.
I turned on the lights of my electric fireplace and blew the bulbs. I then turned on the light of my ceiling fan and blew a bulb. At this point I started checking voltages and found I was getting 253v where I should have 120v. After checking the outside plug again and seeing all was still good on the surge protector, I checked again and was getting 127v.
I'm assuming somewhere I had 120v coming down a neutral. I have since checked all connections in the RV (breaker panel) to insure no loose connections. All good. I did have a RV parts/repair person say that my transfer switch could be the problem and seeing as I don't have a generator, I bypassed the switch although I saw nothing burned on the switch.
In all of this, I lost my microwave, my power converter, one of two TVs, a satellite receiver, and my surround sound/DVD entertainment system.
Seeing as I have not confirmed the root cause, anyone have any clue as too what may have happened? I'm told a surge protector usually works or does not and it is not likely the cause, but I'm suspicious. Assuming the surge protector did it's job and checked the source, I also ruled out a KOA issue. Maybe I fixed it with bypassing the transfer switch, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?