Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #1

2015 FR3 30DS Inverter

We recently purchased a new 2015 FR3 30DS. I read in the manual that if you have an inverter it will take over from the battery when 120V power is not available. We have the 30A cable plugged into the coach/generator outlet at the rear of the vehicle. 120V works fine with generator on or plugged into an external power supply, but when not connected and the generator is off... no 120V. Is the FR3 equipped with this inverter? If so, how do I get it to work. In not, is there an after market way to retrofit one?
Thanks.
whitereinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

how many batteries do you have ?if running a gen don't need a inverter other then 120 volt ref.
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

Have two 12V batteries in parallel. The problem is that the campsite has an 8:00pm generator cutoff time. After 8pm there's no more 120V for charging phones, microwave, TV, etc.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:41 PM   #4

Forgot to mention there's no electrical hookup at the site.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #5

You don't have an inverter standard. You normally have NO way to convert battery power to AC.
With the 2 standard batteries you would be quite limited in what you could run IF you had an inverter...i.e. no microwave, coffeepot, air conditioner.
If you plan to do a lot of boondocking without power pedestals...you will probably need to add more batteries AND get an inverter that is capable of the total watts you need to be able to support. Do some searches here as there is lots of content on this if you want to expand your dry camping capabilities.
If you just need to charge cell phones or laptops ... a mini inverter like this could do the trick for you as it does for us.
Amazon.com : BESTEK® 200W Power Inverter Car DC 12V to 110V AC Inverter DC Adapter USB Charger with 3 AC outlets + 4 4.2A USB Charging Ports for iPhone, Tablet, iPad, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Android, GPS, PSP, Camera, DVD and More (White) : Vehicle Powe
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

I have a inverter for my ref that's all that on it.it really don't last to long
.I have 2 6 volt batteries for house and 2 6 volt for the 1000 watt inverter. .batteries don't last long if on inverter power . most likely should have at least 2 more batteries.
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter