Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #1

2017 Rockwood

Looking for some advice im a newby and also from New Zealand so to get new parts is a tricky but not an impossible task
i have a 2017 Rockwood Windjammer 3008w and it has an iRV TP33 control Panel which is giving issues gets to a stage where i have no control over the panel, eg reset button doesnt work,on off switch shows red as if on but panel not responsive at all, entry lights come on go off by themselves, really weird stuff
ok battery is in good charged state also plugged into mains power checked all fuses and trip fuses
my suspicion is faulty control panel and or relay unit your thoughts folks
if im correct my problem, where do i source replacement items
Thanks in Advance
Kevin
New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Hard to say about the parts unless you can narrow down the problem. With that said someone on the forum may have experienced this and will have an answer soon I hope. good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:10 AM   #3

Hey mate. Can I please pick your brain re what the process is and costs when importing in from the US. I have been looking at a Mini Lite 2509s. I am not sure if it's worthwhile after adding up all the costs. What was your experience like
kl281071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:26 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl281071 View Post
Hey mate. Can I please pick your brain re what the process is and costs when importing in from the US. I have been looking at a Mini Lite 2509s. I am not sure if it's worthwhile after adding up all the costs. What was your experience like
You should send him a PM or quote his post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 03:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Zealand View Post
Looking for some advice im a newby and also from New Zealand so to get new parts is a tricky but not an impossible task
i have a 2017 Rockwood Windjammer 3008w and it has an iRV TP33 control Panel which is giving issues gets to a stage where i have no control over the panel, eg reset button doesnt work,on off switch shows red as if on but panel not responsive at all, entry lights come on go off by themselves, really weird stuff
ok battery is in good charged state also plugged into mains power checked all fuses and trip fuses
my suspicion is faulty control panel and or relay unit your thoughts folks
if im correct my problem, where do i source replacement items
Thanks in Advance
Kevin
I am in Auckland. Thinking about getting a Mini Lite unit over. Did you do the import yourself or did you go through a rockwood distributor. Mine if I ask what the costs were and the process?. I am really keen on the mini lite. There are lots of British caravans here but they don't look good
Old 04-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #6

I was lucky enough to source mine already in NZ
You have to really do your sums b4 considering importing
By the time you pay shipping which has just got very expensive then add GST and it’s my understanding that there is a very long waiting list if shipping from west coast if the states
My advice is to shop around for a late model already in NZ or even from Aussie some very nice caravans from Aussie and very well built
I have managed to source all the parts I needed to sort my electrical issues but the dealer here in NZ is not very helpful cheers Kevin
Old 04-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #7

I would make sure u do some good research shipping is very expensive and then GST on top
If you shop around there are good caravans already here
Even Aussie is worth a look b4 the states
Old 04-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #8

Thanks for your reply. It's an exciting project. When you for your caravan.... Was it already NZ compliant!. If it wasn't, what were the things you had to do to meet compliance. Would you have a ball park figure?.
Regarding sourcing parts .. is this via Amazon or eBay
Old 04-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #9

I was lucky enough to source mine already nz compliant
And when I worked the figures backwards from purchase price I actually got the caravan for less than the actual cost to bring it in to nz unless u are a registered electrician it’s quite expensive to convert to our specs
As far as parts go I was able to trace the original dealer in the states by means of the vin number
And then made contact with them to arrange purchase
It’s very hard to buy parts direct in the states u need to go through a dealer and they don’t like shipping to NZ we had friends in the states who forwarded the package for us a little stuffing around but not impossible if u have the right contacts hope this helps any other kiwis cheers Kevin
Old 04-16-2022, 10:14 PM   #10

You are very fortunate to have friends there. Is the quality of the product any good?
Old 04-16-2022, 10:40 PM   #11

If I was looking to buy again I think I would look for something with an aluminium roof exterior the rubber roof compound doesn’t standup to our NZ sun very well
I think I would be favouring and Aussie made van but that’s my choice entirely cheers Kevin
Old 04-17-2022, 02:03 AM   #12

That is really good to know....thank you.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi KL, I have just finished the import process into Australia with a 30ft 5th wheeler. Prices have increased, but you may get some ideas. My 5th wheeler came via Aukland on the way to Australia

https://chrisanddiannesultimaadventu...-from-the-usa/
Old 04-17-2022, 03:10 AM   #14

Wow, sounds like a big journey. I am really pleased for you. When the unit was ready in Indiana. How did you get the unit to the port. It was Savannah right?.
Did you have to change the electrical wiring.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Wow, sounds like a big journey. I am really pleased for you. When the unit was ready in Indiana. How did you get the unit to the port. It was Savannah right?.
Did you have to change the electrical wiring.
I shipped it from Baltimore, it was closer to Indiana where van was made. They arranged transport. I used the 120v wires to pull 240v wires through walls. I did take the bottom insuation off underneath van to get good acces to cabling. There was some cable ties screwed inside walls that were a pain in places
Old 05-11-2022, 04:56 AM   #16

Did you manage to find a way around the wires that had cable ties?. I am a bit more confident after hearing about your experiences.

What about the propane. Did you have to through away or replaced the us ones?. Did the gas lines also had to be replaced to meet local standards. And the appliances such as stove..... Did they had to be replaced.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Did you manage to find a way around the wires that had cable ties?. I am a bit more confident after hearing about your experiences.

What about the propane. Did you have to through away or replaced the us ones?. Did the gas lines also had to be replaced to meet local standards. And the appliances such as stove..... Did they had to be replaced.
95% of cables were no problem to get through, only had 2 that were a problem, bedhead to tunnel boot and fuse box to bedroom tv.

Gas bottles were OK, furnace was OK, oven needed to be replaced, all gas lines were replaced. Added extra solar cables up through wall panelliing between steps and toilet. Removed panelling in cupboard above toilet and was able to drill a hole up through roof. Solar regulator in wall on steps also removed to give access for cables for solar
Old 05-12-2022, 09:41 PM   #18

Thanks so much for your help
I have been following your blog with intrigue. It's been really helpful. Like everyone else on this forum, you guys rock.
For the wires that could be pulled, did you just blank plate them off and ignored by the certifier
Old 05-13-2022, 11:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks so much for your help
I have been following your blog with intrigue. It's been really helpful. Like everyone else on this forum, you guys rock.
For the wires that could be pulled, did you just blank plate them off and ignored by the certifier
The wires up to bedroom tv wouldn't come out, so I changed them to 12v. Only have 12v to the bedroom tv, only need to reroute at fusebox from 120v to 12v section and I soldered a short piece of 12v cable at tv end just to get flexible wires. On my 5th wheeler I did cut a small hole in wall above vanity cupboard to give access to cables (can't be seen standing in bathroom) and I ran a HDMI cable across to tv for Vast box connection using a splitter behind main tv. Needed 15m of HDMI cable. I used 10m cable plus a 5m extension cable, don't know if there is a 15m cable

I only have one Vast satellite box to run both tv's and use a small USB powered splitter to watch tv, must watch same channel or watch netflix or other apps via internet. I have no free to air tv antenna
Old 05-15-2022, 12:13 AM   #20

I am currently undecided whether to get it. It must seems like a lot of work. In your experience do you think it is worth it.
If I don't want to get it certified.....is prettyuch use it on my site and not hooking it up to holiday park sites, do you know if it's legal or does it need to be registered

Tags
rockwood