Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

2018 FR3 32DS - No power to half of the outlets - checked GFI and breakers already

Hey folks!

Love love love again that this forum exists. I have a 2018 FR3 32DS and when I picked up the unit from storage (after just sitting for a few weeks since our last trip, where all outlets worked) noticed that half of our outlets now do not work, and the fridge won't run on electric, both when plugged in and when on generator power. It's a 50 amp unit.

The GFCI outlet I can find on the circuit that's dead is the one right under the microwave, next to the microwave outlet. I couldn't reset it (button wouldn't push in) so I took out the GFCI and tested the wires going to it and found that they don't have any voltage going to them (tested when genny was running)

I checked the breaker switch at the panel marked "GFI" and I did see that there was 120 volts there, and to all of the other breakers. Not sure if the one GFI circuit breaker switch feeds both legs.. but I guess so? This is why I checked all of them..

So, short story is, no power to the GFCI outlet which I think is on the same circuit as the other dead outlets (outlet to the TV across from the two bunks, outlet to the back bedroom TV.. ) .. and no power to the fridge.

I don't seem to have an inverter, just a converter in the back storage bin, didn't see any issues there.

Just wondering what else I could check... ? I really feel like there is an outlet I am missing somewhere, could there be another GFCI outlet on the same circuit that I'm missing? It's a new unit, hard to believe that a critter might have gotten in and chewed a wire.. I'm at a loss..

Thanks -
Pete
peteclark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Many times there is a GFCI in the bathroom near the sink.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Many times there is a GFCI in the bathroom near the sink.
Checked that one, it's fine.. (has power, tests/resets fine)
Old 06-29-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

I am pretty sure that if you have a residential fridge you will have an inverter. Sounds like it may have kicked off. Not familiar with your specific unit, but some inverters have a GFCI built into them.

Aaron [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I am pretty sure that if you have a residential fridge you will have an inverter. Sounds like it may have kicked off. Not familiar with your specific unit, but some inverters have a GFCI built into them.

Aaron [emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Fairly certain there isn’t one. I’ve checked these forums up and down and all I find are questions about how to add an inverter to the FR3 - and another post saying they don’t come standard..
Old 06-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteclark3 View Post
noticed that half of our outlets now do not work, and the fridge won't run on electric, both when plugged in and when on generator power. It's a 50 amp unit.

The GFCI outlet I can find on the circuit that's dead is the one right under the microwave, next to the microwave outlet. I couldn't reset it (button wouldn't push in) so I took out the GFCI and tested the wires going to it and found that they don't have any voltage going to them (tested when genny was running)

I checked the breaker switch at the panel marked "GFI" and I did see that there was 120 volts there, and to all of the other breakers. Not sure if the one GFI circuit breaker switch feeds both legs.. but I guess so? This is why I checked all of them..

So, short story is, no power to the GFCI outlet which I think is on the same circuit as the other dead outlets (outlet to the TV across from the two bunks, outlet to the back bedroom TV.. ) .. and no power to the fridge.

I don't seem to have an inverter, just a converter in the back storage bin, didn't see any issues there.

Just wondering what else I could check... ? I really feel like there is an outlet I am missing somewhere, could there be another GFCI outlet on the same circuit that I'm missing? It's a new unit, hard to believe that a critter might have gotten in and chewed a wire.. I'm at a loss..

Thanks -
Pete

OK Pete, just some thoughts on my part. To reset a GFCI, there must be power going to it. You stated you attempted to reset it when connected to the generator (but didn't state if you tried to reset it when connected to shore power).

We have had instances, especially with 50 amp 120/240 volt split phase units, that a circuit breaker on the generator itself has tripped. You may want to look at the generator and see if this is your case (and not just the electrical distribution panel)....... and also try to reset the GFCI when connected to shore power. This thread below may help as it had similar symptoms:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1842180

Normally you will not have TWO resettable GFCI outlets on the same circuit...... so if you are not getting power to a resettable GFCI outlet, then the problem upstream of it usually won't be another GFCI outlet. You could possibly have two things where you have a circuit breaker tripped on the generator and the GFCI also tripped.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
OK Pete, just some thoughts on my part. To reset a GFCI, there must be power going to it. You stated you attempted to reset it when connected to the generator (but didn't state if you tried to reset it when connected to shore power).

We have had instances, especially with 50 amp 120/240 volt split phase units, that a circuit breaker on the generator itself has tripped. You may want to look at the generator and see if this is your case (and not just the electrical distribution panel)....... and also try to reset the GFCI when connected to shore power. This thread below may help as it had similar symptoms:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1842180

Normally you will not have TWO resettable GFCI outlets on the same circuit...... so if you are not getting power to a resettable GFCI outlet, then the problem upstream of it usually won't be another GFCI outlet. You could possibly have two things where you have a circuit breaker tripped on the generator and the GFCI also tripped.

Thank you so much for this insight! I will check out the thread too. I did unfortunately try to reset the GFCI both on shore power, 50A hookup while we were camping (when we first noticed the issue), and on the generator both while camping (after we disconnected of course) and then again last night. In both cases, no power is going to the wires feeding the GFCI that won't reset. Pretty sure I did check the breakers on the generator, but I'll go and do that again. However if I was connected to shore power, the generator breakers wouldn't matter, would they? Just curious there, I'll still check!

So are my next steps to pull the microwave (I'm assuming the power lines feeding the GFI outlet are behind it, then go into the wall).. and then try to trace the electric line back? Are there tools that will help me with this perhaps (copper wire metal detector..?) since I'm fairly sure it won't be easy to trace the wires in the wall?

Or.. do I need to somehow check the 50a power cord prongs? I read that sometimes each "leg" controls different sets of outlets, but not sure how that would work if they both flow into the same GFCI panel switch.

Thank you all so much! I love troubleshooting stuff myself, and knowing how to fix stuff in the RV, since it does seem that every trip, something goes..
Old 06-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thank you so much for this insight! I will check out the thread too. I did unfortunately try to reset the GFCI both on shore power, 50A hookup while we were camping (when we first noticed the issue), and on the generator both while camping (after we disconnected of course) and then again last night. In both cases, no power is going to the wires feeding the GFCI that won't reset. Pretty sure I did check the breakers on the generator, but I'll go and do that again. However if I was connected to shore power, the generator breakers wouldn't matter, would they? Just curious there, I'll still check!

So are my next steps to pull the microwave (I'm assuming the power lines feeding the GFI outlet are behind it, then go into the wall).. and then try to trace the electric line back? Are there tools that will help me with this perhaps (copper wire metal detector..?) since I'm fairly sure it won't be easy to trace the wires in the wall?

Or.. do I need to somehow check the 50a power cord prongs? I read that sometimes each "leg" controls different sets of outlets, but not sure how that would work if they both flow into the same GFCI panel switch.

Thank you all so much! I love troubleshooting stuff myself, and knowing how to fix stuff in the RV, since it does seem that every trip, something goes..
Yes, many times some outlets are fed from one side of the breaker/distribution box off one leg and other outlets are fed from the other leg.

I would first check to be sure both sides of the 50a breaker/distribution box has power.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Yes, many times some outlets are fed from one side of the breaker/distribution box off one leg and other outlets are fed from the other leg.

I would first check to be sure both sides of the 50a breaker/distribution box has power.

Do you own a multimeter and know how to use it?
I do own a multimeter and know how to check DC and AC voltage.. not much else with it, but want to learn! .. the breaker box, you mean the one in the RV? I checked all the breaker switches in there and each one had 120v going thru them.. checked using the MM - touched one end to the black wire/screw on switch then the other to the common/neutral bar. Not sure if that's what you mean though.. didn't see anything in there indicating one side vs the other, so hoping you're saying there's somewhere else I can check!
Old 06-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:

There will not be a GFI outlet behind the microwave. There should be no outlet behind the microwave. Look in the cab on either side and or top of the micro. Per code, outlets must be accessible without taking the trailer apart. If you have a residential refrigerator you do have an inverter. You would want to boondock without the need to run the generator 24/7

The 50a power comes into our rig on 2 wires to the main breaker. One wire feeds things to the left of the breaker and 1 wire feeds to the right of the main breaker. Chances are you have two GFI circuits. Maybe one GFI breaker and one GFI receptacle. Thay are separate circuits. Go to your house breaker panel and turn off all breakers and turn them back on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
There will not be a GFI outlet behind the microwave. There should be no outlet behind the microwave. Look in the cab on either side and or top of the micro. Per code, outlets must be accessible without taking the trailer apart. If you have a residential refrigerator you do have an inverter. You would want to boondock without the need to run the generator 24/7

The 50a power comes into our rig on 2 wires to the main breaker. One wire feeds things to the left of the breaker and 1 wire feeds to the right of the main breaker. Chances are you have two GFI circuits. Maybe one GFI breaker and one GFI receptacle. Thay are separate circuits. Go to your house breaker panel and turn off all breakers and turn them back on.
Right, there isn't an outlet behind the micro, I was saying that's where I suspect the wires would be that feed the GFI outlet that won't reset (because it is right next to the microwave outlet, both right under the microwave)

Also, the fridge runs on propane when not plugged in.. so I'm not sure having a fridge begets having an inverter. Happy to be wrong on this though..

I did try already to turn off all breakers and turn them all back on, no luck. How would I identify which wire is which in the breaker box (left/right)? Is it the red vs black ?
Old 06-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
4898 retired

ATS

Check your ATS (automatic transfer switch) open it up and see if one of the legs came off or like mine burned off.

What you described is exactly what happened to us. It turn out that one of the wires became loose and burned off leaving me with only half of the coach with power.
Lesson learned is to open the ATS and check that no wires have worked loose from traveling.
Hope this helps.

lilsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsid View Post
Check your ATS (automatic transfer switch) open it up and see if one of the legs came off or like mine burned off.

What you described is exactly what happened to us. It turn out that one of the wires became loose and burned off leaving me with only half of the coach with power.
Lesson learned is to open the ATS and check that no wires have worked loose from traveling.
Hope this helps.
It sounds great! I just have never heard of an ATS and don't know where it is, but I'll find it... thank you!!
Old 06-29-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Carknocker Family

My guess is that you have lost or a bad connection on one leg. Pull cover off of RV breaker box and check voltage on both legs. Each should be getting 120 or so volts. Where I would start.
Please be careful, stuff in there will bite cha.
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
4898 retired

ATS Location

My ATS is located in the cargo box with 50 amp cord. The ATS switches power between the generator and your land line AC power.

lilsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #16

Just another thought for you to consider. I had that happen on my 2016 Georgetown 328. What the problem was that whomever put the Wire Nuts did not insure they were tight. The Junction Box is located under the Kitchen Sink behind the False Panel. The Junction Box in my Motorhome got Hot and we almost had a Fire. It doesn't take long to check it out once you get all the items out. On mine no Power to the Microwave and the other two outlets above the Sink.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
It sounds great! I just have never heard of an ATS and don't know where it is, but I'll find it... thank you!!
This may help:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter4.php

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #18

I had the same issue camping last year with my 5th wheel, I was on a 50 amp circuit and couldn't figure out what was going on. Just for the hell of it I pulled the plug and plugged it back into the 30 amp and everything started working. The 50 amp circuit at the post I was at was dead even though the switch was on. You might want to check the 50amp reset button on your generator or try a 30 amp circuit just to rule out a generator issue.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #19

If you checked EVERY breaker and they all have power running through them your 50 amp power supply is good (both legs.) Your problem is down stream of the breakers.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsid View Post
My ATS is located in the cargo box with 50 amp cord. The ATS switches power between the generator and your land line AC power.
I’m not sure I have an ATS, at the link above I read that the alternative to an ATS is to plug the 50 amp cord into an outlet when running on generator power. This is what I have to do, when I disconnect from shore power I plug the cord into the 50 amp socket in the back cargo bay. Does this mean I don’t have an ATS?

Also, how do I check “both legs” in the junction box? All I know how to check are all the breakers. I guess I neee to start looking downstream though like another poster said, since all the switches in the breaker box have 120v

Tags
breaker, check, fr3, power