Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 05:35 AM   #1

2018 Sabre 30 RLT Inverter

Newbie to the camping life. Been about 6 months since last outing. Have a question on the inverter. Does it remain ON when hooked to shore power? I assume so to keep the batteries charged.
ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

2018 Sabre 30 RLT Inverter

Skip12 your handing out false information.
CONVERTOR - 110 to 12
INVERTER - 12 to 110

Inverter has nothing to do with your 12v items, converter however does.

Your converter charges the battery, not the inverter
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #3

Thanks for catching me TURBS. I deleted my response to avoid propagating bad info. TURBS, if possible, can you also help answer Ramblin's question?

I think I'm not misleading Ramblin by saying - I turn my inverter off when connected to shore power because the fan is so loud. Some leave theirs on in case they lose shore power and some believe leaving it on is less stressful to the inverter.

Thanks again TURBS.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin View Post
Newbie to the camping life. Been about 6 months since last outing. Have a question on the inverter. Does it remain ON when hooked to shore power? I assume so to keep the batteries charged.

Ramblin- are you sure that you have an inverter? Did your RV come with a residential fridge?

As Turbs said, an inverter makes 120v from battery power. A converter make 12v from 120v. Fifth wheels all come with converters but only come with inverters if there is a “must run” 120v appliance like a residential fridge.

If it’s an inverter, you can turn it off. Just know that you won’t have power if shore power goes off unexpectedly.

If it’s a converter, you will be using battery power for lights, fans, radio, thermostat, and whatnot. And the battery will not be re-charged automatically. You’ll have to take care of turning that on yourself. Generally, folks leave it on for simplicity.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:32 AM   #5

Skip 12. My 5th wheel does have a residential frig. The on/off switch says its an inverter. So with this switch in the off position will my batteries continue to be charged?
ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #6

Short answer is inverter does NOT charge your batteries. Inverter can be off when connected to shore power.

As TURBS says, "INVERTER - 12 to 110" so the only job of the inverter is to provide 110 to your residential refrigerator when you are not on shore power. (I'm fairly certain all FR Sabre inverters are hardwired to fridge only.)

Your inverter draws from your battery. It does not carge it.

As TURBS says, "CONVERTOR - 110 to 12", so the convertor is charging your batteries and supplying power to your 12v components when on shore power so that remains on all the time.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, sabre