Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

2018 travel trailer 34 ft - A lot of electrical problems

Ok a few weeks ago my exterior flat LED light string just below the awning went out. I could see in the awning track where it was pinched. Because it was raining and that part was in direct rain I unhooked it until I could fix it or have it fixed.

Just put my ladder away walked inside and my main interior lights went out, and my Exhaust hood, both the light and fan were out. The switch light on the control panel also would not lite for those items.

I checked fuses, GFI, inline fuses. From what I can tell the interior lights and the exterior lights are even on a separate circuit

The following day the Fireplace would not turn off. But only the light works on it. The blower and heat do not. I am currently plugged into a 30amp breaker with no issues. Fuses are good. Inverter fuses are good. Everything else works just fine.

Please tell me whats going on? Am I missing something?? Maybe a hidden GFI Im lost. Thank you
Yanndboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanndboy View Post
Ok a few weeks ago my exterior flat LED light string just below the awning went out. I could see in the awning track where it was pinched. Because it was raining and that part was in direct rain I unhooked it until I could fix it or have it fixed.

Just put my ladder away walked inside and my main interior lights went out, and my Exhaust hood, both the light and fan were out. The switch light on the control panel also would not lite for those items.

I checked fuses, GFI, inline fuses. From what I can tell the interior lights and the exterior lights are even on a separate circuit

The following day the Fireplace would not turn off. But only the light works on it. The blower and heat do not. I am currently plugged into a 30amp breaker with no issues. Fuses are good. Inverter fuses are good. Everything else works just fine.

Please tell me whats going on? Am I missing something?? Maybe a hidden GFI Im lost. Thank you
These are all 12 volt items probably on the same circuit. Fridge and WH control circuit and furnace are probably out also. Fireplace might have a 12 volt control circuit. You need a multi-meter. Or at least a 12 volt light probe tester. You can't just look at fuses. What fuses are you talking about? GFI's are 120 volts. Not your problem here.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #3

cavie is telling you the problem is with the 12 volt power. these devices are not directly powered via shore power. shore power provides 120vac to the converter which converts it to 12vdc power to charge the batteries and run the 12 volt devices.

first thing i would do is confirm the voltage of the batteries at their terminals. since you are plugged into shore power and the converter should be running you should have something like 13.2vdc or more at the battery terminals. if you do not the issue could be:
-faulty converter
-blown reverse polarity fuses
-battery disconnect set to off
-12vdc resettable circuit breaker is tripped.

if i had to take a wild guess you have dead batteries. but only way to know is to measure them.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Team

The lights and the stove vent fan and light are 12 volt. The fireplace is 120 volt so you have at least two different issues.

Do you have any lights that work?
Did the interior lights work after you unhooked the awning lights?
Did you test the fuses with a meter when you checked them? A lot of times a fuse will look good and be blown.

Since the light is working on the fireplace, there's something internal to it that's the problem.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #5

Quote:

These are all 12 volt items probably on the same circuit. Fridge and WH control circuit and furnace are probably out also. Fireplace might have a 12 volt control circuit. You need a multi-meter. Or at least a 12 volt light probe tester. You can't just look at fuses. What fuses are you talking about? GFI's are 120 volts. Not your problem here.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Check around the battery area/frame for a resettable 12 volt circuit breaker. Small rectangular box with 2 studs and wires on either stud. On the end will be a black button to push in to reset. Try that.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Sounds like a bad common ground...
Old 04-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Check around the battery area/frame for a resettable 12 volt circuit breaker. Small rectangular box with 2 studs and wires on either stud. On the end will be a black button to push in to reset. Try that.
Just to let you know how creative FR is with installing the 12-volt circuit breaker, mine is inside a 4 x 4 box (standard, not weatherproof) inside the frame with LOTS of wires obscuring it. I looked for mine just after getting the trailer so I would know where it was for the future. If/when I ever have to reset it, it will be a royal pain!

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:06 PM   #9

GFI

Quote:

Remove your GFI plugs one by one and ensure that all of the wires are connected in the rear of them, one of my wires were unplugged, that’s what fixed my rv
Mopl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #10

Mopl66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
These are all 12 volt items probably on the same circuit. Fridge and WH control circuit and furnace are probably out also. The fireplace might have a 12 volt control circuit. You need a multi-meter. Or at least a 12 volt light probe tester. You can't just look at fuses. What fuses are you talking about? GFI's are 120 volts. Not your problem here.

Ok, I was trying not to be too long-winded and bore you guys with the whole "i pulled out my multimeter" Yada yada yada You are corret yu can not just look at fuses. But with a light tester you can check your fuses and you can visually see the red light next to the fuses when they are bad but don't always just trust that light. Whiuch is what I did but I understand you wanting to make sure I did those things.

Also, like I said the fridge and the W/H and furnace along with running lights speakers lights, etc. are all working fine. The Meter is reading 12.4 on the FP outlet. Also, on the exterior outlet, it's a 12.3. That's why I am at a loss.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #11

A few weeks ago in about 25 degree weather we lost our furnaces and 110 volt plugins. It was 10:00 at night to boot. A quick help posting on the Berkshire motorhome page garnered a suggestion of looking for 12 volt flip switches. In my case there are at least 2 of these devices in the coach battery box. Sure enough I found one that had a yellow flag up. I pushed the yellow flag down and everything came back on.

So these things are 12 volt breakers that seem to control a lot of devices. Perhaps you have something similar.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:11 PM   #12

Mewcasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewcasa View Post
Sounds like a bad common ground...
@ Mewcasa - I kind of agree but how do I determine that?

@ Mopl66 - mentioned replace each GFI and I an see that being a need as well but do not want to take that approach just yet.

@ Waterops1 - Yes that is the box for the emergency or quick brake if your trailer breaks away from your truck. No black button on or near it.

The underbelly is pretty much sealed tight. I was able to see, after pulling the wall control panel off that the interior lights and the Exterior LED light are run separate and each connects to their own fuse in the panel under the dresser.

@ Bama Rambler - Yes the lights above the couch, the recliners, kitchen counter, the single ceiling light in the hallway and dining table all work fine.

- No that is when they went out. but they did work when the LED outside when out. Even if I touch the wires together they go to their own fuses completely separate from the LED lights.
- I agree there with the fireplace. maybe we used it too much I don't know I do know that it was not dirty at all. I do know that it will not turn off unless i unplug it.

Do you think that one I fix and reconnect the LED lights it will "complete the circuit" and go back to normal?
Old 04-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #13

The large black wire on the left and the large red wire on the right are the connection points for the 12 volt battery at the converter/charger. This view is with the front cover removed. I found both of those wires quite loose from the factory.

A good idea to check that ALL the connections are tight. Disconnect the 120 volt shore power at the trailer before doing any work.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

Bad ground

Resistance is everything... unfortunately, chasing ground/open issues can be a pain in the *****.
I’d start at the battery. Make sure it’s in good shape and the connections are CLEAN and tight. Then follow your way inspecting and shaking the wires to your electrical box where the fuses are and then your electrical panel. There are generic wiring diagrams you might reference, but call FR (if anyone answers) and ask for help!
It’s the easy stuff that gets us!

Let us know what you find please.
Mewcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #15

G Hollingsworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Hollingsworth View Post
A few weeks ago in about 25 degree weather we lost our furnaces and 110 volt plugins. It was 10:00 at night to boot. A quick help posting on the Berkshire motorhome page garnered a suggestion of looking for 12 volt flip switches. In my case there are at least +2 of these devices in the coach battery box. Sure enough I found one that had a yellow flag up. I pushed the yellow flag down and everything came back on.

So these things are 12 volt breakers that seem to control a lot of devices. Perhaps you have something similar.
@Hoolingsworth - I will check that out as soon as I can. Thank you

Danny
--------------------------------------------
2018 Forest River - Heritage Glen LTZ29RL
2019 Chevy Silverado - 3500
High Country - Duramax w/Allison Tran.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #16

SOLUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Ok first thank you all for your help. This 2 fold. First, When I closed the "loop" on the outdoor rope light that was fixed but also corrected the light over the stove. I have no idea why and why not the fan? Anyway, its good t have the light back. I can still open the doors and windows when my wife cooks. LOL

Secondly, the first place and the indoor lights. @ Waterops1 got me thinking thaat maybe there is another box r switch somewhere. Well, there it was and I was shocked. The dresser in the bedroom should have 3 drawers to it, but the bottom one is used for the electrical panel and Heating ducts. well the floor behind that is cut out and sticking my hand in the hole with a mirror and flash light I found a box with a reset switch on it. You can not get to it any other way... Go figure. Interior lights and fireplace are on.. So thank you @ Waterops1.

Tags
electric, electrical, trailer, travel, travel trailer