Old 03-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #1

2019 Catalina Classic 384RBS, fireplace, microwave, TV outlets not working

Two adjacent connected wires inside this guy are sparking and throwing the breaker. When I disconnect the wires, the breaker is not thrown. Thanks in advance for any help. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200324_152208.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	225711
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #2

Well it's there to prevent you from tripping the breaker but seems to have a short somewhere. Look for a loose wire or one extending unshielded too far from a connector block and trim or tighten it with the breaker off.

My take is it's not working and I would remove it. Wire it to a 3way switch if you are comfortable with that.

You then need to manually flip the switch before using the microwave or fireplace.

You could also wire black to black, white to white, ground to ground. If you try to run both the breaker pops like you plugged in too much.

Good luck!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #3

Can you please show a picture of the inside? Jay
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 AM   #4

Thanks much. Am also considering spending $72 on a replacement from Amazon. The rv is on warranty but due to conditions don't know when service dept will open again. Many thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Well it's there to prevent you from tripping the breaker but seems to have a short somewhere. Look for a loose wire or one extending unshielded too far from a connector block and trim or tighten it with the breaker off.

My take is it's not working and I would remove it. Wire it to a 3way switch if you are comfortable with that.

You then need to manually flip the switch before using the microwave or fireplace.

You could also wire black to black, white to white, ground to ground. If you try to run both the breaker pops like you plugged in too much.

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #5

Will do soon. Everything is back together and it's a pita to get to. Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Can you please show a picture of the inside? Jay
Old 03-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad.dog View Post
Two adjacent connected wires inside this guy are sparking and throwing the breaker. When I disconnect the wires, the breaker is not thrown. Thanks in advance for any help.
A key to the problem is the bolded statement. Are they physically sparking at the terminals on the board? If so, it's likely that an insulating partition has gotten broken off and the terminals are touching or almost touching.

Do you know which two terminals the arcing is between?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #7

Thanks BR, physically sparking at terminals on board. A black and a white oon middle terminals. Pic to follow. Sounds plausible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
A key to the problem is the bolded statement. Are they physically sparking at the terminals on the board? If so, it's likely that an insulating partition has gotten broken off and the terminals are touching or almost touching.

Do you know which two terminals the arcing is between?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 AM   #8
Head Rambler

I suspected it was probably the middle terminals as they are hot for the secondary load and neutral. If a broken partition is all that's wrong you could try repairing it, but it may be better to just replace the unit.

Best Converter has an Parallax ALS 20 for $77. It hooks up the same as the Intellitec unit.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #9

Think I'm gonna take a stab at repair. If I can get by until the shop is open I can save the $70.

I will post afterwards for those interested. Thanks again,
-Charlie
Quote:
I suspected it was probably the middle terminals as they are hot for the secondary load and neutral. If a broken partition is all that's wrong you could try repairing it, but it may be better to just replace the unit.

Best Converter has an Parallax ALS 20 for $77. It hooks up the same as the Intellitec unit.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #10

For those interested, here is a Pic. Also, I moved the ALS out where I could get to it by removing 3 mounting screws, then removed the black load wire #4 from left and tested.
Breaker stated good. I said wth? Then I turned this breaker off then reattached aforementioned black wire and turned breaker back to on. It stayed on. I then metered TV, fplace, and micro outlets - all good.

I then reconnected micro and fplace.
All good.
I left fusebox and ALS sitting out and will research more to see what fixed it.

I again said wth?

All I can figure is maybe a mounting screw pierced a wire and caused a short or something. Damfino. Will look at it again tomorrow.
Thanks for listening.

Quote:
Think I'm gonna take a stab at repair. If I can get by until the shop is open I can save the $70.

I will post afterwards for those interested. Thanks again,
-Charlie
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200325_130806.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	225744
Old 03-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #11

Wire#3 from left, sorry
Quote:
For those interested, here is a Pic. Also, I moved the ALS out where I could get to it by removing 3 mounting screws, then removed the black load wire #4 from left and tested.
Breaker stated good. I said wth? Then I turned this breaker off then reattached aforementioned black wire and turned breaker back to on. It stayed on. I then metered TV, fplace, and micro outlets - all good.

I then reconnected micro and fplace.
All good.
I left fusebox and ALS sitting out and will research more to see what fixed it.

I again said wth?

All I can figure is maybe a mounting screw pierced a wire and caused a short or something. Damfino. Will look at it again tomorrow.
Thanks for listening.

Attachment 225744
Old 03-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
Head Rambler

There's definitely been some arcing going on between the middle terminals.

Looks like there's a crack in the partition between secondary hot and neutral. that could have been enough to allow a stray strand of wire to arc across. It could have finally burnt off or you moving it could have moved it just enough to clear the short.

If you're going to use it, I'd probably get a thin piece of plastic (insulating material would be best) and stick down beside the partition to help insulate it further.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #13

Good eye,missed that. I will do that while awaiting shop to open.
Thanks BR!
Quote:
There's definitely been some arcing going on between the middle terminals.

Looks like there's a crack in the partition between secondary hot and neutral. that could have been enough to allow a stray strand of wire to arc across. It could have finally burnt off or you moving it could have moved it just enough to clear the short.

If you're going to use it, I'd probably get a thin piece of plastic (insulating material would be best) and stick down beside the partition to help insulate it further.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #14

Last post, all is working and thanks everyone for your help/posts.

Awesome forum/people...almost restores my faith in humanity... Almost. :/

Tags
cat, catalina, fireplace, microwave