Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

2019 E-pro battery drained.

Hi everyone. Just getting into the travel trailer scene. I did not receive a manual when I purchased. Had a question on the batteries and how to determine what portion of the red battery key should point to the on or off position. Disconnected from the partials at my rv park and went to dry camp. Nothing works on the trailer right now. I'm thinking my batteries drained while I was plugged in so perhaps I hadn't placed the red key in the right on/off position.
Thanks everyone.
Michael 2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #2

DO interior lights work at all with key in either position?

Do you have a cheap volt meter you can use to measure the battery voltage? LIke a $5 one from any hardware or box store? You can't know the voltage you have in the battery by looking at it, so a meter is mandatory.

Batteries in RV discharge all the time so being completely discharged is definitely a possibility.

Get a meter and check the voltage at the battery terminals.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Get a free multimeter from Harbor Freight
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:11 PM   #4

I like free. Ha.
Ok, multimeter. And no. None of the interior lights or plugs work at this time. I should be out of dry camp within the next 4 days and hooked up to electricity. Once I am hooked up will the batteries charge or is there something special I'll need to do to ensure they are charging?
Old 03-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 2019 View Post
I'm thinking my batteries drained while I was plugged in so perhaps I hadn't placed the red key in the right on/off position.
Thanks everyone.
If you're plugged in at an rv park, your batteries should continue to charge. So perhaps you had it off and it didn't charge. Unless something is different about an epro than other trailers.

It's also possible that you have a battery that won't charge. Many times those batteries are not maintained properly on an rv lot. I suggest you pull it and have it tested if you continue to have this problem.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 PM   #6

I was thinking the same thing. If I'm plugged in, I should charge. I'm just sure how to tell if my red key is pointing in the correct direction. One end of the key is smaller than the other and I'm not sure which end of the key should point to off and which to on position. I'd hate to get hooked up to electric again and not charge because the battery is in the off position and I couldn't tell.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #7

First... there are no manuals except maybe for the microwave, stove and fridge if you have one of those... and they mostly show you how to install those things

In 4 days, if your batteries are currently discharged, which it sounds like they are, irreparable harm is happening to them right now. Something called sulfation occurs ( google that term) when the batteries are left discharged which causes the interior of the battery to deteriorate and will never be able to hold a FULL charge again, if NOT worse.

When you get home and get that meter, you may find all you have left is a dead battery capable of being replaced only.

Quote:
I'd hate to get hooked up to electric again and not charge because the battery is in the off position and I couldn't tell.
Your lights will light in the camper with the key tunred correctly and camper on charge.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
Site Team

Check battery level ( or lights) b4 you hookup

Hook up to electric for 6-8 hrs.

Then unplug and check the battery level

If battery level has improved or lights work leave switch where it is.
If no lights or battery improvement move switch and go back to step 2.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

You can always confirm the battery disconnect is in proper position by disconnecting shore power, and observing if little stuff like the green light on the CO detector is lit. Or when shore power is connected, watch the Go Power solar controller and see if battery life percentage is increasing. Unless you bricked your battery, it should start going up pretty quick on shore power.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #10

Confused!

The red key turns and you should then remove it from the switch. Off!

Insert and turn the key until it stops to turn. On. Key will not pull out.

If in the off position there are no lights. Nada. Also, the rv would likely not charge from the converter, built in charge. Emergency brake may not work. Without a working battery the emergency brake for a disconnection does not work.

The battery should not be allowed to freeze uncharged. Could crack.

We have a Honda inverter charger for emergency recharging. Nice to own.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #11

I'll check again but I believe the red key can be pulled out in either position.
Inverter charger. Got it.
Shore power. Got it.
Hook up 6-8 hrs. Repeat if necessary. Got it.
If none of these work, battery is done and needs to be replaced.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:54 AM   #12

On my E-Pro turning the key all the way right is on and and left is off. The key will not come out in the on position and will come out in the off position.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #13

In the rv world one must understand batteries and their care.

If you are going to travel much than you should have a battery monitor! Batteries are the weak link.

Amazon sells the BM2 monitor for $30. Bluetooth connection. The information you need. Installs in a few minutes. So you know where you are.

The dealer installed battery is usually a minimum to meet legal requirements for trailers with brakes. Not to meet the average users need. For instance, it will likely not power the furnace overnight without plugging in!

Modern rv’s have higher parasitic loads than in the past.

Batteries are often an issue as you are now more aware.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:04 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Hi everyone. Just getting into the travel trailer scene. I did not receive a manual when I purchased. Had a question on the batteries and how to determine what portion of the red battery key should point to the on or off position. Disconnected from the partials at my rv park and went to dry camp. Nothing works on the trailer right now. I'm thinking my batteries drained while I was plugged in so perhaps I hadn't placed the red key in the right on/off position.
The direction you should point your disconnect depends on the disconnect. One of my pet peeves is how they label disconnect switches. They should be labeled Open and Closed, but a lot are labeled On and Off. And the confusing thing is that on some switches "On" means that the disconnect is on or disconnected and on some it means that the battery is on or connected to the system. Off my soapbox now.

The best way to tell which position you need to have yours in is to charge up the battery and unplug from shore power, flip the switch to one position and try to operate a couple of 12 volt devices. If they operate, then the battery is connected to the system. Then flip the disconnect the other direction and try those same devices again. They should work one way and not the other. I wouldn't try the jack as it usually bypasses the disconnect.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #15

Bama Rambler,
Since you and the OP are both from Alabama, maybe you can direct him to the nearest Harbor Freight and send him a coupon for the free multimeter. There are 22 of them in Alabama.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #16
Site Team

If I knew where he was located in the state, I'd be glad to direct him to the nearest HF, and throw in a coupon.

I have a couple of those free meters laying around in the boat and RV. I figure if they bite the dust just chuck them. I have some Flukes and a couple other good meters that I use when it's more than just a quick voltage or continuity check.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #17

Meters are robust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If I knew where he was located in the state, I'd be glad to direct him to the nearest HF, and throw in a coupon.

I have a couple of those free meters laying around in the boat and RV. I figure if they bite the dust just chuck them. I have some Flukes and a couple other good meters that I use when it's more than just a quick voltage or continuity check.
The meters are really robust. The probes are weak. I ordered a better set of probes from eBay for around $5.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
I'll check again but I believe the red key can be pulled out in either position.
Inverter charger. Got it.
Shore power. Got it.
Hook up 6-8 hrs. Repeat if necessary. Got it.
If none of these work, battery is done and needs to be replaced.
Inverter.....changes 12 vdc to 120 volt to power things like a microwave oven.

Converter.....changes 120 vac from shore power or a generator to 12 vdc to charge your batteries and power your 12 volt circuits such as lights.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain