Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #1

2019 Wolf Pup Hot Skin

My husband and I just purchased a 2019 Wolf Pup. We’re on our first trip and realized (by my husband being shocked) that we have a hot skin issue taking place. We’ve disconnected from power (obviously) and contacted Forest River and they were zero help in regard to the warranty. When we purchased it 2.5 weeks ago the trailer had been on the dealers lot less than 24 hours when we picked it up and drove away with it same day... as a result, we don’t fault the dealer for this at all but did expect assistance from Forest River. What advice do you all have for us? We’ll still be contacting the dealer but we’re feeling a little lost... when plugged in the reading is 37 volts (give or take a little).
We have an infant and a 3 year old. We did not buy this thing to boondock 24/7 and their safety is obviously of the utmost importance to us. Infuriated is an understatement at this point. I don’t even want to look at the thing and 1,000 miles from home.
EADecker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #2

I would call the dealer and let them know. FR warranty's normally run 12 months, but most of the work is done by the dealers. Somebody else on this forum had a similar issue (not a brand new unit); but i don't recall the resolution.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #3

Thank you.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

Wow, so sorry to hear you are having this issue. Might try to see if the dealer will cover a Mobil RV tech to come and figure it out for you. I would probably turn off all breakers, plug it in and test for voltage. If still hot it would be in the park power or feed to your panel. In fact have you checked the power pedestal to see if it is the problem?. If no voltage, turn one each breaker one at a time till it shows up and there you go. Best of luck to you.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #5

i did find one of the threads about hot skin and it mentioned a couple easy things to check (it sounds like you are camping). Adapter plug at the post, and an empty hot water tank that was turned on and effectively shorted out.

Great advice. I had the same issues and tried everything. I finally changed my adaptor plug and realized there was no third grounding prong. The new adapter solved the issue.

Had something similar happen to one of our well site trailers in West Texas. When hooked to power, it would bite your hand when you grabbed the door knob. It was pulled out of the field immediately. We sent it in for overhaul and discovered that one of the electric lines had been nicked by a drill during initial build and a lag screw that helped mount the box to the frame was touching the nick. It was an accident and they do happen. You should return the trailer to the dealer or take it to trailer service shop.

I had this problem one time and it was eventually traced to the electric heating element in my water heater.

Ditto on the water heater element. I've seen where the element heated in an empty water tank. Due to the heat the element melted touching the tank. When the door handle or any metal part of the rv was touched, zap.

MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

Get checked out by the dealer yes it can be dangerous. I had this happen years ago long before water heaters had an electric side ( back then they were gas only). If I remember right it was a neutral / ground issue.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADecker19 View Post
My husband and I just purchased a 2019 Wolf Pup. We’re on our first trip and realized (by my husband being shocked) that we have a hot skin issue taking place. We’ve disconnected from power (obviously) and contacted Forest River and they were zero help in regard to the warranty. When we purchased it 2.5 weeks ago the trailer had been on the dealers lot less than 24 hours when we picked it up and drove away with it same day... as a result, we don’t fault the dealer for this at all but did expect assistance from Forest River. What advice do you all have for us? We’ll still be contacting the dealer but we’re feeling a little lost... when plugged in the reading is 37 volts (give or take a little).
We have an infant and a 3 year old. We did not buy this thing to boondock 24/7 and their safety is obviously of the utmost importance to us. Infuriated is an understatement at this point. I don’t even want to look at the thing and 1,000 miles from home.
We keep a great tutorial on this at the very top of the electrical subsection, by the resident guru on this very subject matter, Mike Sokol.

Please read this link below, as most times it's going to be some kind of failed grounding connection. We see this a lot of times, in adapters (if used), power cords, and the inlet at the RV where the shore power cord connects.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-rv-89191.html

It is a very serious condition, and needs to be corrected.

Are you using any kind of power adapters or anything in addition to the shore power cord to plug into shore power (ie adapter, extension cord, electrical management system, surge guard, etc). You could also be having a problem with the outlet your plugged into at the campground/house.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Here are a few things you might check, some have been mentioned.

1. Have park check the power at the pedestal?
2. Turn off the electric side of the WH and check skin again.
3. If you have a power cord with a plug on both ends check to see that the trailer side is securely connected ( twisted)

Is this the first time you have used the TT? Did you power it up at home.

If selling dealer will not do something for you, call FR and ask them to authorize a mobile tech.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Team

You are supposed to start with the dealer, not FR.
If your dealer isn't doing enough to your satisfaction, then contact FR.
Dealer is the first point of contact, not the manufacturer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:23 PM   #10
Always Learning

I'd swap out the easy things first.

1) Try a different campground pedestal.
2) Swap out any adapters that you have.
3) Swap out the power cord.

Only change 1 thing at a time. If you still have the issue after changing each of the above, then the problem is in the camper.

At that point, I think I'd turn off all of the breakers and turn them back on 1 by 1 to see if I can isolate a particular circuit the issue is on.

Beyond that, bringing a mobile tech in or finding an RV Service Center near me would be my next step.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

While you may be infuriated and don't want to even look at it 1000 miles from home, it is in your best interest to get this checked out.

It may be a campground wiring/adapter issue and nothing wrong with the R/V at all.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

Thanks for all the comments.
I should have added this in my initial comment, but, thankfully, we are staying with family at the moment so we’ve been able to experiment with various connections (different boxes and cords) and have been able to determine the issue is with the RV.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
we are staying with family at the moment so we’ve been able to experiment with various connections (different boxes and cords) and have been able to determine the issue is with the RV.
Hmmm, this statement would lead me to troubleshoot some other things as I'm not sure really what cords/boxes you would be able to experiment with actually being at your families house. I would look at adapters/cords real hard, and then outlets.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

Thanks for all the comments.
I should have added this in my initial comment, but, thankfully, we are staying with family at the moment so we’ve been able to experiment with various connections (different boxes and cords) and have been able to determine the issue is with the RV.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #15

Quote:
What is the power source for the hot skin? Do you a surge protector? The outlet you plugged into could be miswired. I am guessing you have a 30 AMP plug.

Camco PowerDefender Circuit Analyzer

I have a Progressive Industries SSP-30XL but maybe all you need is the Camco.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #16
Always Learning

Since you mentioned being at family’s house, there was a poster here who had a problem in their house on a whole different circuit that was causing the hot skin.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
What is the power source for the hot skin? Do you a surge protector? The outlet you plugged into could be miswired. I am guessing you have a 30 AMP plug.

I have a Progressive Industries SSP-30XL but maybe all you need is the Camco.
Everyone please be aware that surge protectors and/or electric monitoring systems will not protect you from all hot skin conditions!!!
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Everyone please be aware that surge protectors and/or electric monitoring systems will not protect you from all hot skin conditions!!!
Surge Protectors and/or Electric Monitoring Systems display red lights when plugged into a miswired plug detected. How else can you test an outlet?

SSP-30XL Product Features:
-Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
-Miswired Pedestal Indication
-Surge Failure Indicator
-Thermally Protected
-Weather Resistant
-Brighter 3-Color LED Indicators
-Locking Bracket
-Rugged Pull Handle
-Tough Lexan® Housing
-All Weather Shield Assembly
-Designed for Outdoor Use
-UL Certified and Canadian Approved
-Lifetime Warranty (excludes All Weather Shield Assembly)
Old 06-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #19

2019 Wolf Pup Hot Skin

I had an electrical problem from the factory and didn't know it until I used an electrical outlet tester from Home Depot, while adding a retractable power cord.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Tester.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	175650

When on city/pedestal power I read normal power indications.

Name:	Shore Power.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	175651

When on the Genset, I read power connection errors (Hot/Neu Reversed).

Name:	Genset Power.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	175652

Emailed FR to have them cover this repair first, then drove to the dealer with messages in-hand. Found the hot and neutral reversed (at the factory). After five minute rewire, No-Mo-Problemo.
San Pedro, CA
Honest Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Abe View Post
I had an electrical problem from the factory and didn't know it until I used an electrical outlet tester from Home Depot, while adding a retractable power cord.
Attachment 175650

When on city/pedestal power I read normal power indications.
Attachment 175651

When on the Genset, I read power connection errors (Hot/Neu Reversed).
Attachment 175652

Emailed FR to have them cover this repair first, then drove to the dealer with messages in-hand. Found the hot and neutral reversed (at the factory). After five minute rewire, No-Mo-Problemo.
I am glad you were able to find and correct the issue. I have two or three of the 15 AMP outlet testers & four or five of the non-contact testers.

Name:	tester.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	175675

Thank you for your Service.

I am retired from the Alaska Army National Guard.

Tags
wolf pup