RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-24-2020, 03:45 PM   #1

2020 GT5 31L5 Generator shuts off while driving

We have noticed that our Onan 5500 generator shuts off while we are driving after an hour or so. We are running the a/c and fridge on it while driving. It's brand new, and the oil level is good. Looking for suggestions or fixes.
grateful_travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #2

One possibility is the overheat sensor in the generator compartment is shutting it down, but I only had this happen while driving in extreme desert temperature. You can try driving with the generator internal access cover removed, which will improve air circulation, and see if it makes any difference.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
One possibility is the overheat sensor in the generator compartment is shutting it down, but I only had this happen while driving in extreme desert temperature. You can try driving with the generator internal access cover removed, which will improve air circulation, and see if it makes any difference.
We live in Florida and it was during the middle of the summer when it happened, so heat may be what is causing it. Thanks!
grateful_travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
2017 Georgetown XL 377

Hi, I had the exact same problem since I purchased my coach in 2017 (New). I believe that I have found the problem that is a "Day One" issue from FR. Check the Chassis Battery terminal connections! (negative/ground chassis connection and the positive connection to the Battery Control Center) My battery chassis ground screw was stripped out and loose! It appears to have gotten progressively worse over the years and I have tried everything around the Generator and on the generator with no success until now. I took it to Cummins in 2018 and they could not reproduce the problem at that time. However, all of their tests were successful - primarily because they were all done in a stationary position.
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful_travelers View Post
We live in Florida and it was during the middle of the summer when it happened, so heat may be what is causing it. Thanks!
I have had this happen in NC in the heat of July while stuck in traffic. I am adding some additional side ventilation. Depending on which generator you have depends on where it pickups up the fresh air and discharges hot air. I have the 4000 watt, it picks up the cool air from the side on the left and discharges out the bottom. Due to the configuration of the generator compartment, it pulls ALL the air from the bottom. I will be adding a vent to the door.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator