Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 12:36 AM   #1

2021 Sunseeker 2250 LE - Battery upgrade / Zamp question

Hello all,

Used 2021 (Ford E450) but new to us so I'm trying to learn on the fly here

RV only has 1 lead acid battery, looking to upgrade to 2 Lithium batteries.

From what I have learned so far
1. Replace alternator solenoid with a DC/DC Alternator Charger
2. Assuming the factory charge controller can't be re-programmed for AGM/Lithium, upgrade the charge controller to a MPPT Charge Controller

Where is the factory charge controller located so I can identify it? Haven't seen it so far.

The RV has the momentary switch to link the starter and coach batteries for an emergency start, should that be removed or bypassed when the DC/DC alternator charger is installed?

Regarding the zamp solar plug on the side of the RV, safe to assume it's not connected to a charge controller so if I go with a portable solar system such as the Renogy 200W system, it should have it's own charge controller... how can I confirm that?

The manuals that came with the RV haven't been much help so far

Thanks in advance
Rick
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:15 AM   #2

not knowing you past camping/RV experience I have to ask why not just add a two coach batteries wet or agm along with the Renogy 200 suitcase solar (what I have) and see how this works out before the major and expensive changes? The Zamp plug is just wired to the batteries without a charge controller with the Renogy you can either use the clip on battery connections or wire a permanent plugin connections for the Renogy. it has a 20 amp charge controller (check the fuse mine came with a 15 amp fuse installed) that handles 7 different types of batteries.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #3

SeaDog, you make a good point, one that I have been wrestling with for a while now.

I generally prefer to spend more up front in the hopes of saving in the long run and by many accounts, lithium is the way to go

2 AGMs would absolutely be much better than what I have now and that would be a direct replacement

Since I can't see any battery activity, I have no way to know the general health thus the MPPT charge controller. Since the RV is virtually brand new, I do question the need for the alternator solenoid change but I'm not an expert to know if it's really needed to go to lithium.

Thanks for the Zamp info, based on what I have read, it does align...

Any idea where the factory charge controller is installed on this RV?

Rick
Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #4

I can't say about the charge controller on your rig I have the Zamp plugin and there is no charge controller Plus the 200W Renogy suitcase does not come with a MPPT controller. There are many great battery monitors and overall power monitors that are a DIY install to monitor what is going on. I installed both for 110V power and Battery power on my rig and I think the total for the equipment was around 40 dollars.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

Solar

Considerations. You could go w/ 2-6. volt deep cycle golf cart batteries, best bang for your buck. These are much more durable than standard 12 volt batteries. The Ramp plug is wired opposite from most remade panels. Pick up a polarity adaptor after checking w/ amp gauge-$6 on Amazon. I really like the Renergy portable panels because they allow you to move panel East/West w/ a 20' extension. So you can park RV in shade and move panels out in the sun. I would try a similar set-up prior to in vesting big money on Littium batteries and changing charging set-up. We are able to Boondock 3 days w/o pulling batteries below 50%-27' TT. I bought a $40 battery monitor w/ shunt-works for what I need.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
Calbucano

I’m guessing when you mention charge controller you referring to the converter (probably a WFCO) which, inter alia, charges your coach battery when on shore or generator power. The WFCO might be limited to the lead acid charging profile which won’t let you get the more rapid recharging benefit of AGM or Lithium batteries. Progressive Industries makes a direct replacement.

Golf cart batteries are good but usually won’t fit as they are taller than the 12 volt series.

The dc-dc charger protects the chassis alternator if you go to lithium (which are happy to suck up all the amps they can get ) while also providing tailored charging profiles for various batteries. Check out the Stirling brand.

If you go to lithium you will need a battery monitor that uses a shunt to monitor state of charge. One 100 AH lithium is better than two AGM or lead acid batteries.
calbucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #7

Thanks all for the great input

Here is what I know now

I have the PDI PD4060k converter/smart charger. It's currently set to lead acid which confirmed my guess just by looking at the battery. It can be switched to LI should I go that route.

The LA mode appears to be the correct setting for AGM batteries as well, unless I'm mis-reading the data

I'm leaning towards 2 AGM batteries, 200W Renogy portable solar and getting me a decent battery monitor.

Anything I'm missing here?
Old 05-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #8

Monitor

I am using the AiLi monitor, about $45 on Amazon. There are better ones, but at 4X more, works well for our needs.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for pushing me to do more research

I ended up with 2 AGM batteries and a Victron Battery monitor

Finished the install today and all is working well

Thanks again
Rick

Tags
2021, battery, sunseeker, upgrade