Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2024, 02:25 PM   #1

Exclamation 2023 GeoPro AC/Heat Wal Thermostat Problem

I have a 2023 GeoPro 20FBS with the MasterVolt power package. This includes the 11500 BTU Coleman Mach AC unit....soft start feature built in.

The wall thermostat is the Coleman RV AIRXCEL digital thermostat model 94303382 FCRVM which controls both heat and AC functions. The overhead unit also has a panel to control fan and AC only.

Hearing great things about the MICRO-AIR Easy Touch RV thermostat with wifi and bluetooth features I made the move to install as a replacement. Based on their website it led me to the Model ASY-352 X03. I reviewed several online install videos which I followed during the install process.

Once the Easy Touch was installed and I fired up the 20 AMP AC unit breaker....nothing...the display did not light up. I checked all the connections about 10 times and could not get the Easy Touch to fire up...so thinking it was defective I reinstalled the AIRXCEL...it would not fire up either!! Once again I checked wiring connections about 10 times....no luck!

So now know AC or heat control at the wall thermostat. I did check the control panel on the overhead MACH unit and its display was on...turned on low air only fan cycle and it worked fine....but in addition the AIRXCEL wall unit turned on as well...but just that...lit up. Once I turned off the overhead unit the AIRXCEL also powered off!

Not sure what I did but that is my situation. One other observation to add to the dilemma...when I turned off the AC breaker as instructed, the AIRXCEL thermostat stayed on as did the overhead MACH control panel.
OpaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:36 PM   #2

Have you used a multimeter to check for where you have voltage and where you don't have voltage? That would be where I would start. If you have voltage everywhere you should have voltage then it sounds like you have mixed up the thermostat wires somewhere.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 03:37 PM   #3

I do have a meter and two leads which should read 12 volts do not. However, if I manually turn on Mach overhead unit to low fan mode the 12 volts show up on the thermostats feed wires. Red and blue lines.

Thanks for quick input. I am a retired Navy/Captain.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:50 PM   #4

Follow up. Stand corrected. I am not getting 12 volt to thermostat at all. According to wiring diagram red and blue colored wires should feed 12v to wall thermostat. Right now they do not. Not sure what the 12v source is meaning which circuit provides. Other than removing original thermostat to replace with EasyTouch I did not involve any other connections or wires other then to connect new thermostat. Very confusing to me!
Old 03-25-2024, 02:25 PM   #5

Thermostats are essentially smart switches...but they are just switches.

An easy test with any thermostat is to identify the heat pair and the AC pair...typically these pairs of wires are each bound in a single jacket.
The test is...
Disconnect the wires from the back of the thermostat.
To operate the heat, touch the bare ends of the heat pair, and the furnace should start.
To operate the AC, do the same, and the AC should start.

If you perform that test and nothing happens...and there is no voltage at the bare ends of any of the four wires, it's entirely possible that you blew a fuse in your panel (heat) or blew a breaker (AC) or blew a fuse/breaker on the control boards of the appliances as you installed the thermostat.

That seems likely given that you replaced the new thermostat with the old and are still experiencing a failure.

It's also possible that there is a manufacturing defect in the thermostat that is causing the control voltages to blow a fuse...but even that doesn't really make sense, because when the thermostat closes the switch and calls for heat/cold, it's essentially a dead short in the circuit...the control is actually happening on a circuit board in the appliance.

WILD GUESS...perhaps there is a common fuse on a central control board that talks to both appliances....a WILD guess and not a smart one, but one never knows. Why....? next paragraph...

It's important to point out that MANY RVs the size of yours and mine come through with a thermostat to control the furnace, and no thermostat for the AC. The AC is controlled solely by the knobs on the AC unit itself. The colder/warmer knob on the AC unit is connected to a thermostat inside the AC. So you having a central-thermostatically controlled AC system in a GeoPro comes as a surprise to me. For the sake of asking, are you sure your AC is controlled by the central thermostat? Are there two pair of wires attached to your thermostat? Just asking. These sorts of systems are generally reserved for larger, more Lux rigs.

All offered as food for thought...good luck.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 04:49 PM   #6

Sounds to me like during the first installation two wires accidentally touched each other and blew a 12 volt fuse. There might not have even been much of a spark.

Go to your power center and remove and check any 12 volt fuse (not circuit breaker) associated with the air conditioner. -- And next time remove that fuse before starting to swap the thermostats.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:54 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wow, GeoPro has really changed past few years. I still have a suburban mechanical t-stat for furnace, and just upgraded the Coleman Mach VIII to a bluetooth controlled central blast control center, compatible with the heat strip I had previously installed.

Ordered wrong one first time around, costly mistake! Apparently heat pump ready and heat strip ready are two different models. Best of luck getting yours working.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:08 AM   #8

Talking

Thanks all! I found the problem and you will never guess the culprit! After checking the master distro panel for breaker and/or issues…nothing there! Yes in the 2023 GeoPro 20 FBS there is an AC 20 amp breaker but no fuse associated with 12 volt to the thermostat. Hearing from others the 12v source is in the Coleman Mach 11500 AC unit I dove into the control box…no fuse and I had 12v live up there…so on a whim and completely baffled I opened the access panel to the furnace below the sink area in my model….drum roll pleas…there just hanging next to the furnace box was a lonely inline 7.5 amp fuse! Yes it had blown!! Had a spare and next thing you know 12v to thermostat!! As one posted I mostly likely touched a couple bare ends to blew it! Would have been nice to know location of fuse but we all know wiring diagrams are not quite up to speed as the space shuttle. Thank you all for the inputs!!!
Old 03-26-2024, 08:17 AM   #9

Talking Thermostat 12v feed

Quick follow up to a question about heat and ac control…yes the 2023 GeoPro 20 FBS came with a thermostat to control both systems. Not sure if that option came because I have the MasterVolt power system. The AC unit is the soft start model Coleman Mach 11500 btu which indeed has its own control panel built in as well. All systems are A-OK. Woke to 40 degrees in the CA high desert and heater worked as advertised! Maybe Forest River can give a hint why that fuse was tucked away next to the furnace!
Old 03-26-2024, 08:29 AM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

OpaGeorge, congratulations on getting her fixed on your own, and thanks for coming back with update! Lots of new members just leave us hanging.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:31 AM   #11

No problem! It was an adventure! Also have a lot of lessons learned getting to know and love the Mastervolt system. If any folks have questions or issues fire away! I have a couple experts via Facebook who have been awesome! Thanks for the note!!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:41 AM   #12

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpaGeorge View Post
Thanks all! I found the problem and you will never guess the culprit! After checking the master distro panel for breaker and/or issues…nothing there! Yes in the 2023 GeoPro 20 FBS there is an AC 20 amp breaker but no fuse associated with 12 volt to the thermostat. Hearing from others the 12v source is in the Coleman Mach 11500 AC unit I dove into the control box…no fuse and I had 12v live up there…so on a whim and completely baffled I opened the access panel to the furnace below the sink area in my model….drum roll pleas…there just hanging next to the furnace box was a lonely inline 7.5 amp fuse! Yes it had blown!! Had a spare and next thing you know 12v to thermostat!! As one posted I mostly likely touched a couple bare ends to blew it! Would have been nice to know location of fuse but we all know wiring diagrams are not quite up to speed as the space shuttle. Thank you all for the inputs!!!
Bingo! I was pretty sure that's what had happened.

Those of us who do this frequently make a practice of moving one wire at a time from current device A to new device B, if possible. It avoids confusion and also the incidental wire cross.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:24 PM   #13

Yes that caused the issue! The problem was finding the fuse!! Forest River needs to provide schematics. I searched every tech site I could find…no luck. Only blind luck!!
Old 03-26-2024, 08:15 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpaGeorge View Post
Yes that caused the issue! The problem was finding the fuse!! Forest River needs to provide schematics. I searched every tech site I could find…no luck. Only blind luck!!
When pigs fly, lol. The only schematics I've ever seen were thanks to fellow forum members here. The plumbing schematic for my unit was greatly helpful. Guessing the leccy schematic would be such a mess for RV's and constantly changed, it would be worthless. I think they just build these things on the fly sometimes.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM   #15

Thanks for letting us know what you found. Many don't.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:59 PM   #16

You are welcome! Hope folks share the solution as it was not easy to find at first!

Tags
thermostat