Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
want a Cat 293REX

Unhappy 21FBRS pls help with bath light scorching why?

Trip five ended with scorched bathroom bulbs sockets - thankfully we noticed each bulb had scorched the socket holder in the bathroom. Why did this happen? Also noticed that the bug lights above the couch didn't work on the 3rd trip then worked, then burned out. Why did this happen? heat of the light?

I'm concerned with the possible fire hazard and would welcome any suggestions. Is this from the excessive heat from the lights? Is this a warranty issue? Should we worry about fire hazard next weekend?

Thank you !
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Wrong bulb? Several bulbs are interchangeable in the automotive world for lighting (1157 replaced 1034, for example), but the newer bulbs are brighter, burn hotter, and may not be appropriate replacements in RV lighting fixtures.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
want a Cat 293REX

thanks - we have not changed any bulbs in the unit and this is only the 5th time we have used it. We'll be calling the dealer - only hope that it is safe to use next weekend! Any thoughts on this?
boatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #4

I agree with Fire Instructor. Check that the bulbs match the fixture. My Surveyor uses bulb type 921 in all of the interior light fixtures. If a higher wattage bulb was inserted, higher heat would have been generated. I'm not sure the maximum rating of the fixture, but there should be a marking of some kind, either the maximum wattage, or the bulb type(s) to be used.

Why did one light not work, then work, then burn out? Can't say for sure, but perhaps it was a loose connection. A loose connection could also cause excess heat at the socket.

I would also check the voltage of your 12V supply in the trailer. It shouldn't burn the light sockets unless it is excessively high, but I would check it just in case. What makes me think this could be a possibility though is that you are having trouble with more than one fixture. Have you noticed anything else wrong, or broken, that runs on 12V?

I have recently upgradded most of my 921 bulbs to the LED equivalent. This could be an option for you too, if everything else checks out OK.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #5

I concur with the LED option.

LED lights put out nearly ZERO heat and if you search the Internet auction sites for a 921 SMD LED light, you'll be able to find them for less than $1.00 apiece. Light is different color but we like the cooler color of the white-blue. Warm white is also available. I converted all the ceiling and even the reading lights in mine for less than $25.
DKListul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light