Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #21

X2- Do it right! Fooling with 220V outlet conversions and taking one leg of of 220 could be harmful to your health and your local FD. There are codes for conducting electricity safely and should be followed, Just sayin........
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Yea, the O/P did write in Post #1, "my NO knowledge of electrical wiring".

Good we take that into consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

Pop
I also will NOT be tackling this myself that's why I said NO knowledge of this at all.
My father was the electrician but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
I have a friend that is an electrician and he has told me he can make the adapter for the dryer plug and I am kind of looking for a second opinion before trying this. he says its fairly easy ?
This could and would be checked out [tested] before plugging anything in as I really don't want to smoke the new TT
I have my reasons for not wanting a permanent box installed for this on the house but no need to go into that .
Thanks for all the advice and reading
I am also looking for a line tester now...thanks to you guys/gals ...lol you have me a little scared to plug my trailer in at the camp grounds.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Tugger,

If your friend is planning on using the copper ground wire as a neutral, be advised that it is not recommended for several reasons.

One work around is to buy a roll of single wire "neutral wire" of the same gauge as the hot wires at the home store. Run it along side the 220 2 wire w/ground.

This is a much safer option than trying to overload the ground wire by using it as a neutral. In addition, your GFCI breakers in your camper will not work. There will be no reference circuit for the GFCI.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #24

There are step up / step down transformers that convert 120V to 240V or convert 240V to 120V. They cost a bit but avoid all of the potential problems of the other methods being discussed. They come in a wide variety of wattage ratings. Here is a 5000W transformer 5000 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer Step Up /Down GOLDSOURCE AR-5000 | eBay
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #25

when u get an adapter, rewire, or however u do it, before u actually plug in use a voltmeter to verify the voltage. u want to make sure only one leg shows 110. there should be no voltage between the ground and neutral. once u do that, i would suggest using one of those $2 testers that plugs in that will check for proper wiring. (don't know the proper name for it...it has 3 lights on it and shows if u have opens or miswired circuit).

a few years ago in the US, the neutral and ground came from the same area within the breaker box. even if urs is like this, run separate wires back to the (home) breaker box for neutral and ground.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl
There are step up / step down transformers that convert 120V to 240V or convert 240V to 120V. They cost a bit but avoid all of the potential problems of the other methods being discussed. They come in a wide variety of wattage ratings. Here is a 5000W transformer 5000 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer Step Up /Down GOLDSOURCE AR-5000 | eBay
Not sure i'd want to trust this Far Eastern built 240v device in the belly of someones 100,000 dollar rig, for what? This is called a "jury rig", not for certain insurance would cover a loss due this device.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #27
Alleged curmudgeon

With all due respect...

after seeing so many threads about disasters and near disasters, I am really perplexed why someone would not just do the job right and put in the right dedicated circuit and connections. We aren't talking about a day, a weekend or week at a location he's visiting, we're talking about his home base. Just because you can (or "should" be able to) do something does not mean you should.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
after seeing so many threads about disasters and near disasters, I am really perplexed why someone would not just do the job right and put in the right dedicated circuit and connections. We aren't talking about a day, a weekend or week at a location he's visiting, we're talking about his home base. Just because you can (or "should" be able to) do something does not mean you should.
My sentiments exactly.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #29

Do it right, do it in a safe way. It might not cost as much to do it right as to fabricate something that has the potenial of fire or hurting someone, I have things that way in the past and things didn't always work out, tore some things up, but nobody got hurt.

Seems like life is easier when it is done right.

There was a power source problem in another thread that was just solved yesterday that took about $400 to fix.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote