Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2022, 09:11 PM   #1

2x300 watt panels

Hi all,

I scored a great deal on two LG Neon 300 watt residential panels from my solar installer who was over to replace a microinverter on the house array.

I had originally thought to use a 200watt suitcase with my 75/15. Now I’m thinking I will install the 300 on the roof of the pop up and keep the other 300 for ground placement when I need the extra power. Most time it will probably just be the rooftop panel.

I have a dedicated solar sar input on the base of the trailer that will feed the MPPT.

Knowing I will have 600 watts I’m now looking at a 100/30 or even a 100/50. I don’t expect to ever be close to 600, but we shall see.

Can anyone make any shed some light on the above and also suggest cable sizing for the panel run and the battery runs.

Thanks
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
Hi all,

I scored a great deal on two LG Neon 300 watt residential panels from my solar installer who was over to replace a microinverter on the house array.

I had originally thought to use a 200watt suitcase with my 75/15. Now I’m thinking I will install the 300 on the roof of the pop up and keep the other 300 for ground placement when I need the extra power. Most time it will probably just be the rooftop panel.

I have a dedicated solar sar input on the base of the trailer that will feed the MPPT.

Knowing I will have 600 watts I’m now looking at a 100/30 or even a 100/50. I don’t expect to ever be close to 600, but we shall see.

Can anyone make any shed some light on the above and also suggest cable sizing for the panel run and the battery runs.

Thanks

What voltage are these residential panels?

Since you aren't going to install both on the trailer you might consider two smaller MPPT controllers, one for the permanently mounted panel and the other for the ground placed panel when used (via the input port).

I believe the residential 300 w panels will have an output voltage ~40 volts which makes them perfect for an MPPT Controller but current will be < 10 amp so you really don't need a "High Horsepower, High Cost, MPPT controller. Just make sure that the controller (each one) will handle at least 300 watts and connect their outputs in parallel with battery). Having a controller for each panel simplifies things when using one or both panels at a time.

Wire size at 40 volts is not an issue. #10 wire will be more than enough, even if ground placed panel is used with a 50' extension cord (#10 awg of course).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 04:56 AM   #3

39.2v and 9.7a each.

2 in parallel would be 39.2v and 19.4a, correct?

Seems the 100/30 would be good up to about 450 watts of panel. Given I’ll lever hit 600 with both as one will be flat in the roof and the other ground deployed I think I’d be safe.

That said, is it worth the extra $100 for the 100/50 to have the full capacity I. The event I ever do achieve greater than 450w? Assuming I hit the full 600 would it cause damage to the system or simply clip and max out?
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:33 AM   #4

ignore just saw where you only putting one on roof
Old 11-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
39.2v and 9.7a each.

2 in parallel would be 39.2v and 19.4a, correct?

Seems the 100/30 would be good up to about 450 watts of panel. Given I’ll lever hit 600 with both as one will be flat in the roof and the other ground deployed I think I’d be safe.

That said, is it worth the extra $100 for the 100/50 to have the full capacity I. The event I ever do achieve greater than 450w? Assuming I hit the full 600 would it cause damage to the system or simply clip and max out?
Yes on output voltage and current with panels feeding controller in parallel. The theoretical max wattage would be 760 watts.

If this was my "project" I'd go with the 100/50 MPPT controller so you can use the maximum capacity of the panels.

With Solar Controllers the hard limit is voltage which in your case would never exceed 80 volts, even if panels were connected in series.

That leaves the current limit which as you mentioned, it would just peak at rated capacity of controller and produce no more current.

Depending on brand of solar controller the difference in cost for a 50 amp controller rated for ~700 watts is less then the cost of a larger replacement controller.

In short, people often go small in the beginning to save money then end up spending more than if they'd gone with the larger controller to begin with.

I'm a big fan of Victron and if it were me I'd install a Victron Smart MPPT 100/50.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Since you aren't going to install both on the trailer you might consider two smaller MPPT controllers, one for the permanently mounted panel and the other for the ground placed panel when used (via the input port).
This.
Zoso1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel