Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Be sure to occasionally check the plugs for heat. If you feel one getting hot, shut it down. Have had the plug ends build up resistance and burn the terminals under load.
Not your typical contact cleaner... to the rescue!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deoxit.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	183424  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
Related question, can I put my portable Progressive 30 amp power management unit between the extension cord and the 20' fixed cord from the motorhome, allowing me to lock it inside a storage area? I realize that's an additional two plugs in the system. Thoughts.
I installed my SSP-30XL inside my power bay out of the weather. The outlet goes to the shore power cord. Also I will not forget it at the pedestal. My Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/Charger has an Electrical Management System for low & high voltage like a UPS. The EVO-2212 only needed a 30 amp circuit breaker protection from shore power. I used my old generator outlet for the SSP-30XL.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_164330 sub panel 1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	183426
Also it is a portable power tester that I can test my campground pedestal with.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogun View Post
I want to extend my shore power cord with a 30 amp RV extension cord I bought at Wal Mart. It has the plugs at either end to plug to the trailer cord and just extend it. I have a 30 Amp pedestal at the house and need the additional length. It's a 25 foot extension. Anyone see any potential problems?
How much power are you going to be drawing at home? Just enough for the converter or running an AC unit or maybe even more up to 30 amps?

More connections in the form of the plugs and connectors on extension cords can potentially lead to overheating. Make sure you keep plug blades clean and shiny with a little sandpaper. Also do no plug in while power is live otherwise the plug blades and contact surfaces inside a receptacle and connector can get pitted and dirty and lead to overheating. As mentioned above, check the cord's plug & connector connection periodically to make sure it's not overheating. Same at the recept. in your home's pedestal.

For those with a detachable cord, you can use a 2nd twist lock type cord and a generator adapter to make an extension cord. We have a spare (30 amp) detachable cord that we keep in case one gets stolen or damaged. Have used it a couple of times along with a generator adapter when we couldn't quite reach a pedestal. Can also be used for putting an autoformer under your RV instead of at a pedestal.

FWIW, the NEC doesn't require a max. voltage drop in a circuit, it only "recommends" a max. of 3% in a branch circuit and 5% total overall for branch circuit + feeder. See here: http://https://www.mikeholt.com/tech...s-part-one.phpNote the reference to RV Parks which recommends a max. overall voltage drop of 5%. 5% as in 114 volts at a pedestal?? Sorry, but hahaha.