Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2023, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bella Vista, Arkansas
Posts: 234
30 Amp Extension Cord?

I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my generator. Would this work as an extension cord for my 50amp power cord with the appropriate adapters? This would be used at a campground not for the generator.
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT
2023 Forest River Vibe 26RB
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:20 AM   #2
Retired Army MSG!
 
lazyjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sharon, SC
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray374 View Post
I have this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for my generator. Would this work as an extension cord for my 50amp power cord with the appropriate adapters? This would be used at a campground not for the generator.
With a dog bone adapter, you can use the 30 amp extension cord with your 50amp. I use one at home quite often when I pull my rig out of it's shelter. I have a 50 amp panel I plug into here. The only thing I don't do is run both AC's at the same time etc; as to not heat up the adapter that connects the two cords together by overloading the amperage.

Oops I did not look at your link and read the post properly, as you are using a genset cord. If you find the correct adapters, I still believe you will be ok. I use a 30 amp RV extension cord here at home.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,334
You will need adapters on both ends which are likely to cost almost as much as a good 30A extension. Also you will be limited to 30A even if connected to 50A service, Note: this limit will need to be managed by you as it will be possible to draw more than 30A at a 50A panel which will overheat the cord and may damage some appliances due to low voltage.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:26 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bella Vista, Arkansas
Posts: 234
The two adapters comes up to $42. I am trying to use what I got that hasn't been used since I bought it two years ago. I don't foresee needing an extension cord this time around. I packed one for 5 years in my motorhomes and never used it. At my house my power cord will not reach the 15amp outlet without an extension cord of some type. Right now I have the 50amp cord reduced using a 50amp to 15amp adapter and a short extension cord. Being my trailer has solar this will not be used much.
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT
2023 Forest River Vibe 26RB
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 15,334
Sorry for the confusion as you said" This would be used at a campground not for the generator...



A 25ft 10 gauge extension cord is only $35.
__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 9,338
You probably don't need a 30 amp extension cord.
If your 50 amp cord is long enough, all you need is the adapter for the campground post.
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Elect...gion_id=674469
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:00 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 19,211
Certainly the cable would work but not the ends that are currently on it.
To get the adapters or replacement ends will likely be more money than a 10 ga. extension cord as mentioned by Flybob.

But... if I'm understanding your posts, you only have a 15a outlet to plug into at your house and you are adapting to that 15a house outlet using your 50a cord and a short extension cord.

Why not buy a 50a to 15a adapter that plugs into your shore power outlet on the R/V and eliminate the 50a cord (and any other heavy cord) and simply use an appropriate gauge extension cord. You are limited to 15a because of your house outlet. A 12 ga. extension cord is good for 15a up to 100 feet.

Something like this... for $18.... RVGUARD 3 Prong 15 Amp to 50 Amp RV Adapter Plug with Locking Connector, 5-15P to SS2-50R Locking Connector
__________________
2022 Cedar Creek 345IK 5th Wheel•Solar & Inverter•2024 Ford F-Series SCREW•7.3L•4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:21 AM   #8
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Goodyear, Arizona
Posts: 34,152
Moved thread from the Appliances and Electronics sub-forum to the Electrical and Charging Systems sub-forum.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bella Vista, Arkansas
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Certainly the cable would work but not the ends that are currently on it.
To get the adapters or replacement ends will likely be more money than a 10 ga. extension cord as mentioned by Flybob.

But... if I'm understanding your posts, you only have a 15a outlet to plug into at your house and you are adapting to that 15a house outlet using your 50a cord and a short extension cord.

Why not buy a 50a to 15a adapter that plugs into your shore power outlet on the R/V and eliminate the 50a cord (and any other heavy cord) and simply use an appropriate gauge extension cord. You are limited to 15a because of your house outlet. A 12 ga. extension cord is good for 15a up to 100 feet.

Something like this... for $18.... RVGUARD 3 Prong 15 Amp to 50 Amp RV Adapter Plug with Locking Connector, 5-15P to SS2-50R Locking Connector
I will definitely check this out. I have several 12 gauge 50' extension cords.
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT
2023 Forest River Vibe 26RB
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
doanshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 883
Need to know what you are going to run on it first.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bella Vista, Arkansas
Posts: 234
All I want the extension cord for is the TV, microwave and outlets to check them out more. I don't plan on using the a/c units. Everything else runs off of solar.

I rolled up (at least I tried to) the heavy 50amp power cord in the cold rain yesterday and stored it away. I also ordered the adapter in the above posts. One 12 gauge 50' cord should be all I need and I have several of them already.
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT
2023 Forest River Vibe 26RB
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:24 AM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 24,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Certainly the cable would work but not the ends that are currently on it.
To get the adapters or replacement ends will likely be more money than a 10 ga. extension cord as mentioned by Flybob.

But... if I'm understanding your posts, you only have a 15a outlet to plug into at your house and you are adapting to that 15a house outlet using your 50a cord and a short extension cord.

Why not buy a 50a to 15a adapter that plugs into your shore power outlet on the R/V and eliminate the 50a cord (and any other heavy cord) and simply use an appropriate gauge extension cord. You are limited to 15a because of your house outlet. A 12 ga. extension cord is good for 15a up to 100 feet.

Something like this... for $18.... RVGUARD 3 Prong 15 Amp to 50 Amp RV Adapter Plug with Locking Connector, 5-15P to SS2-50R Locking Connector
Thanks 5 picker for this info just what I need for home use. Later RJD
__________________
2020 Shasta Phoenix SPF 27RKSS (sold)
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:02 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 19,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Thanks 5 picker for this info just what I need for home use. Later RJD
You are most welcome RJ! Hope you are doing well.
__________________
2022 Cedar Creek 345IK 5th Wheel•Solar & Inverter•2024 Ford F-Series SCREW•7.3L•4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,032
Personally I like the dogbones better to both get a 90 degree strain relief but to also separate any heat sources (the connection as the get dirty). There are probably cheaper ones but this is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim M.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RBWS
Former: 2017 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Gas
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:13 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Personally I like the dogbones better to both get a 90 degree strain relief but to also separate any heat sources (the connection as the get dirty).[/url]

Jim M.
I agree. I just did not like the sight of the adapter plugged into the wall outlet with the heavy cord plugged into it sticking straight out.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:09 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 19,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Personally I like the dogbones better to both get a 90 degree strain relief but to also separate any heat sources (the connection as the get dirty). There are probably cheaper ones but this is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I agree. I just did not like the sight of the adapter plugged into the wall outlet with the heavy cord plugged into it sticking straight out.
If you feel the weight of the extension cord is an issue then you really should get one like this as the one jimmarko posted still connects at a 90° to the extension cord end but whatever...Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230208_120504_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	283741

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
2022 Cedar Creek 345IK 5th Wheel•Solar & Inverter•2024 Ford F-Series SCREW•7.3L•4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:14 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
doanshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray374 View Post
All I want the extension cord for is the TV, microwave and outlets to check them out more. I don't plan on using the a/c units. Everything else runs off of solar.

I rolled up (at least I tried to) the heavy 50amp power cord in the cold rain yesterday and stored it away. I also ordered the adapter in the above posts. One 12 gauge 50' cord should be all I need and I have several of them already.

If that is all you are going to run, you will be fine if you want to run an Ele heater you should go up to a 10-gauge cord. Longer the run heavier the wire. I run my trailer on a 10-gauge 50-foot cord and I have had no problems I can also run Ele heater on it. I tried a 12 gauge and ends started to melt and turn black. I have been on 10-gauge cord for 2 years now and the ends look like new still. You may want to get one of these so you can see how many watts you are pulling. I wouldn't go over 12000 watts or 10 amps constant on a 12-gauge cord.


https://www.amazon.com/Electricity-E...23&sr=8-5&th=1

I just plug it in to see what I 'm drawing don't leave it plugged in all the time.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
If you feel the weight of the extension cord is an issue then you really should get one like this as the one jimmarko posted still connects at a 90° to the extension cord end but whatever...
Thats actually a nice looking one. I didn't see any like then when I bought. It was hard enough to find one with the 90 degree on the 50A side. That is actually my main concern... the stress on the shore power inlet with the 4 stripped screws into the 1/8" thick luan thats holding everything up. The 15A side has enough flex to deal with it.

Jim M.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RBWS
Former: 2017 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Gas
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
doanshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Thats actually a nice looking one. I didn't see any like then when I bought. It was hard enough to find one with the 90 degree on the 50A side. That is actually my main concern... the stress on the shore power inlet with the 4 stripped screws into the 1/8" thick luan thats holding everything up. The 15A side has enough flex to deal with it.

Jim M.
I use one like that I also added one of these to keep water out.


https://www.amazon.com/CordSafe-Exte...43&sr=8-5&th=1
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Bella Vista, Arkansas
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Thanks 5 picker for this info just what I need for home use. Later RJD
I tried this out yesterday and one 50' 12 gauge extension cord worked perfect with it.

Thanks!!!
__________________
Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT
2023 Forest River Vibe 26RB
reubenray374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.