Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #1

30 amp or 50 amp TT

Ok. I'm totally a newbie but I'm all amped up about amperage! LOL. So I have bought a new Alpha Wolf 30 RDB-L. I love it! However being so new to the TT world, I am so confused about my rig. Is it 30 or is it a 50 amp rig? Now on the side of the trailer is what looks to be a 30 amp male receptacle. My cord (given to me by the dealer) is a female 30 amp twist connector and on the other end is a 50 amp (4 pronged) male plug. We tried to plug into our generator which has a 30 amp female plug but couldn't because the male is a 50 amp. So back to my question - is my rig (named Khalessi) a 50 amp or 30 amp rig? Also to add to my confusion is we are pre-wired/prepped for a 2nd A/C. So is it why they gave us the 30/50 cord?
Benzgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:01 AM   #2
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgurl View Post
Ok. I'm totally a newbie but I'm all amped up about amperage! LOL. So I have bought a new Alpha Wolf 30 RDB-L. I love it! However being so new to the TT world, I am so confused about my rig. Is it 30 or is it a 50 amp rig? Now on the side of the trailer is what looks to be a 30 amp male receptacle. My cord (given to me by the dealer) is a female 30 amp twist connector and on the other end is a 50 amp (4 pronged) male plug. We tried to plug into our generator which has a 30 amp female plug but couldn't because the male is a 50 amp. So back to my question - is my rig (named Khalessi) a 50 amp or 30 amp rig? Also to add to my confusion is we are pre-wired/prepped for a 2nd A/C. So is it why they gave us the 30/50 cord?
You have a 50 amp cord. The male end of a 50amp cord will always have 4 prongs, 3 straight blades for Line 1, Line 2, Neutral and a round prong for ground.

The female end of the cord has 2 curved prongs with tabs for Line 1 and Line 2, and a single curved prong (without tab) for neutral, the ground is a curved piece on the outside of the round plastic housing that makes contact with a corresponding piece on the male socket in the wall of your TT. Once the female plug is inserted into the male socket you give it a slight twist to lock it in place before tightening the threaded ring surrounding the female plug.

CAUTION: If you do not twist the cord in the socket, or do not screw the ring down, the weight of the cord may cause it to pull loose.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:07 AM   #3

30 amp or 50 amp TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
You have a 50 amp cord. The male end of a 50amp cord will always have 4 prongs, 3 straight blades for Line 1, Line 2, Neutral and a round prong for ground.

The female end of the cord has 2 curved prongs with tabs for Line 1 and Line 2, and a single curved prong (without tab) for neutral, the ground is a curved piece on the outside of the round plastic housing that makes contact with a corresponding piece on the male socket in the wall of your TT. Once the female plug is inserted into the male socket you give it a slight twist to lock it in place before tightening the threaded ring surrounding the female plug.

CAUTION: If you do not twist the cord in the socket, or do not screw the ring down, the weight of the cord may cause it to pull loose.
So does that make our rig a 50 amp or 30 amp travel trailer?
Old 12-29-2020, 03:30 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
So does that make our rig a 50 amp or 30 amp travel trailer?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #5

You have a 50 amp camper which has enough power to run a second A/C if you are so inclined. Now that us something to get amped up about!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Your cord should look like the one below. Notice the big silver contact on the side of the twist-lock plug. That's the ground.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #7

That cord has two L shaped contacts unlike a 30TT that has one.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
That cord has two L shaped contacts unlike a 30TT that has one.
Adding: the two L-shaped contacts prevent one from using a standard 30 amp cord.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #9

Usually when your trailer has 2 A/C units then it is a 50A trailer or if you have a motor coach and have 2 A/C units and washer/dryer it is a 50A coach.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #10

YEAH! You all are awesome! So yes the cord we have is L shape female and the male end is 50 amp 4 prongs. Whew! This electrical stuff is confusing! HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! I can't wait to get out there! It's just sitting in storage right now but I told family we need to try everything out before we make our first local run! Take care all and stay safe!
Old 12-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
We tried to plug into our generator which has a 30 amp female plug but couldn't because the male is a 50 amp.

So you need a "dog bone" adapter to use your generator and put the 30 amp output into your 50 amp cordset & receptacle. The dogbone should have male 30amp plug at one end and female 50 amp receptavle at the other.

Since you said you are in storage at the moment and haven't yet been able to plug in...and yer brand new at this....do you understand that the batteries may be dead when you return due to parasitic loads and you need to disconnect the negative (black wire) at the battery post before you leave it not plugged in for several weeks? NOTE...the mfr, battery cutoff switch does NOT take the place of doing this!
Get a simple multimeter to take readings at your battery terminals in storage to avoid this issue. Do not rely on the red lights in your coach panel!
Have fun & welcome!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #12

We took our batteries off and propane tanks in fear of it being stolen. We don't live far from the storage place (about 3 blocks). We ended up putting our batteries on trickle battery charger. Since we have two batteries, we purchased 2. When we purchased our generator this past weekend, we wanted to try it out thus we find out we couldn't plug into it and finding out we had a 50 amp rig. This is all good to know. My hubby better thank me because I err on the side of preparedness and training

Thank You so much for all your help! Happy New Year! I hope the New Year brings you great health and love!

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
So you need a "dog bone" adapter to use your generator and put the 30 mp output into your 50 amp cordset & receptacle. The dogbone should have male 30amp plug at one end and female 50 amp receptavle at the other.

Since you said you are in storage at the moment and haven't yet been able to plug in...and yer brand new at this....do you understand that the batteries may be dead when you return due to parasitic loads and you need to disconnect the negative (black wire) at the battery post before you leave it not plugged in for several weeks? NOTE...the mfr, battery cutoff switch does NOT take the place of doing this!
Get a simple multimeter to take readings at your battery terminals in storage to avoid this issue. Do not rely on the red lights in your coach panel!
Have fun & welcome!
Old 12-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #13

You should probably carry a number of adapters anyway. You never know what electrical situation you will run into. If you have these adapters you won't get surprised where you will not have electricity.
1. 15 to 50 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Adapte...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2. 30 to 50 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Compac...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
3.15/30 to 50 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Compac...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
4. EMS. https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...s%2C191&sr=8-2

These are all just examples from Amazon. There are many different brands and options, and as you will find out, everybody's got an opinion. Just educate yourself and make the choices that work the best for you.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
My hubby better thank me because I err on the side of preparedness and training
S

I've been well trained and prepared by my wife too! Happy New Year and see ya out there!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #15

Thanks so much all for your help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
You should probably carry a number of adapters anyway. You never know what electrical situation you will run into. If you have these adapters you won't get surprised where you will not have electricity.
1. 15 to 50 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Camper-Adapte...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2. 30 to 50 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Compac...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
3.15/30 to 50 adapter. https://www.amazon.com/ONETAK-Compac...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
4. EMS. https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...s%2C191&sr=8-2

These are all just examples from Amazon. There are many different brands and options, and as you will find out, everybody's got an opinion. Just educate yourself and make the choices that work the best for you.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:40 AM   #16

One disclaimer on my list, be sure that you realize you probably shouldn't use the 15 to 50 adapter to run your AC. You might get away with the 30 to 50 adapter, but again, if you have dual units, I probably would only consider running one. That situation is the purpose of the 15/30 adapter. Always check your cords when using adapters for hot connectors. Also keep an eye on the prongs to be sure there is no corrosion. Many people will use Di-electric grease periodically on them.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #17

one other way to confirm is to open your circuit breaker panel. if you are 30 amp there will be a single 30 amp main breaker. if you are 50 amp there will be two 50 amp breakers connected together so that you must operate both at the same time.