Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

30 Amp outlet caught fire

I have a 2015 Salem Hemisphere 299re travel trailer. Last weekend after smelling something burning in the trailer I discovered that the Furion power receptical and power cord were very hot to the touch. Upon removing the plug I discovered that the plug and inlet had severely melted and was smoking. Upon removing the outlet from the trailer and after loosening the strain relief on the back the plug fell right off the wires. None of them were tight thus causing the hot wire to obviously start arcing and causing the melt down/near fire.

I have done some internet searches and found where Forest River has a recall on some of the XLR models for what sounds like the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced something like this and with what Forest River model? This is a serious defect and needs to be addressed by Forest River.
JoeO138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeO138 View Post
I have a 2015 Salem Hemisphere 299re travel trailer. Last weekend after smelling something burning in the trailer I discovered that the Furion power receptical and power cord were very hot to the touch. Upon removing the plug I discovered that the plug and inlet had severely melted and was smoking. Upon removing the outlet from the trailer and after loosening the strain relief on the back the plug fell right off the wires. None of them were tight thus causing the hot wire to obviously start arcing and causing the melt down/near fire.

I have done some internet searches and found where Forest River has a recall on some of the XLR models for what sounds like the same problem.

Has anyone else experienced something like this and with what Forest River model? This is a serious defect and needs to be addressed by Forest River.
I would say, if FR has a recall... then you need to contact them ASAP and get this rectified.
I would stop using this trailer till you get this fixed!
N6ZCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeO138 View Post
Upon removing the outlet from the trailer and after loosening the strain relief on the back the plug fell right off the wires. None of them were tight thus causing the hot wire to obviously start arcing and causing the melt down/near fire.
The hot line probably didn't short out, if that were the case, the breaker at the pedestal should have tripped. But either the hot or ground wire will become hot due to excessive contact resistance and/or arcing between the wire and the contact if the screws are loose. This problem can happen at any contact point from the pedestal thru to the inside outlets. Sometime it is loose screws like in your case, sometimes frayed and broken strands of wire and sometimes just oxidation of the contacts. Always a good idea to check the temp at all sets of contacts and if they are warm, then correct the problem.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I was 500 miles away from home and was able to purchase a new outlet and cord at an RV dealer there. They weren't Furion brand and it didn't quite fit like the old on but it got me through the weekend. I'm planning on going to the dealer where I purchased the trailer new, later this afternoon.
JoeO138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
The hot line probably didn't short out, if that were the case, the breaker at the pedestal should have tripped. But either the hot or ground wire will become hot due to excessive contact resistance and/or arcing between the wire and the contact if the screws are loose. This problem can happen at any contact point from the pedestal thru to the inside outlets. Sometime it is loose screws like in your case, sometimes frayed and broken strands of wire and sometimes just oxidation of the contacts. Always a good idea to check the temp at all sets of contacts and if they are warm, then correct the problem.
X2....
Been there, done that with my ROO and Sunseeker OE plugs and the universal ones. One does not realize how much 'abuse' the plug end takes especially when camping frequently with many destinations. The last time it happened was at home. Smelled the burning, saw the Camco plug melting but my house or MH breaker had not popped.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

2018 Salem

We just purchased a 2018 Salem Travel Trailer. On our 2nd weekend trip, the a/c was not working. We took it to an authorized repair shop and it was found that the hotline coming from the air conditioner and the air conditioner power line were not hooked together the way they should be. They should have twisted them together and then connected with a wire nut (according to the repair man).As it was the lines were barely touching and the wire nut was barely connected. The line arced and shortened out. We were lucky a fire did not occur according to the repair guy. He took the melted part off and took pictures and sent to Forest River. The trailer came off the line about 3 weeks prior. This scared me so I contacted Forest River to see if there is anything we can have done to assure us the person who installed that did not do something else that might not have been put together properly. We were able to get a full electrical inspection done by the same repair shop under our warranty. While this is somewhat assuring, it still worries me as I feel that now a days these companies are throwing together as many units as they can in a day and not taking the time for the proper quality control. Once our annual warranty is up, what happens then?
DeborahL24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #7

Make sure you bought the Forest River 2nd yr warranty.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

I wish I knew about it...but the 10 days were up when I first heard about it and now I can't purchase it. Our dealer never told us about it and it wasn't in any of our paperwork. I found out they offered one on this forum but it was too late.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

we bought the 2nd year warranty but our dealer also offers the RV Forever Warranty. we have that as well. it requires us to take it in at least once yearly for inspection of everything and any thing that needs it gets replaced free or at a low cost.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #10

I will be taking for annual insprections now anyway just for peace of mind. I wish I knew about the 2nd year warranty that would have been something I definitely would have taken.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Site Team

The 2nd year warranty is no longer available.
I believe that you had to buy before June 1, 2017 to still get it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 2nd year warranty is no longer available.
I believe that you had to buy before June 1, 2017 to still get it.
Not that it applies to me because I have a Coachmen unit, but that's a bummer. Wonder why they stopped offering it?
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ZCM View Post
I would say, if FR has a recall... then you need to contact them ASAP and get this rectified.
I would stop using this trailer till you get this fixed!
The problem with many of these issues is poor workmanship leading to damage claims. What I do know from personal experience is it usually becomes an insurance settlement instead of the manufacturer being held responsible. When the insurance companies stop insuring haphazardly assembled units only then will the quality and safety improve. Camper buyers cannot finance it without insurance, so recall the YUGO automobiles demise? Perhaps there lies a lesson for the RV industry to invite some attention to
richard6335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #14

Not to add fuel to the fire, but we should all inspect our line voltage input wiring. 30 and 50 amps is a lot. This requires good connection everywhere. IMO(in my opinion) the wire sizes are minimal and add that to questionable products...problems.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahL24 View Post
I wish I knew about it...but the 10 days were up when I first heard about it and now I can't purchase it. Our dealer never told us about it and it wasn't in any of our paperwork. I found out they offered one on this forum but it was too late.
Have you contacted FR directly about it? Considering your experience with the wire they may an exception for you.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #16

Two years ago, when packing up after two days of camping, I discovered my 30 Amp cord melted into the side of my trailer. I am a single female camper, but thankfully was camping with friends- we were unable to take the system apart, or unscrew/take apart where it attached to the TT. Finally, we cut the cord about 4 inches out from where it plugged into the trailer.

Thankfully, it was covered by the extended warranty I had purchased.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #17

i melted the wire battery caught fire and the power convertor shorted out on one of our past campers i have a surge supressor now
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #18
code.org

Marinco

After my second trip with my new Rockwood, the 120v electrical quit working. After much testing and checking, I found that the screw for the neutral wire in the Furrion connector was stripped and the neutral wire had come loose and was arcing against the hot. Perhaps it became stripped by an overly zealous factory worker with a powered screw driver? Anyway I replaced the Furrion with a much better quality Marinco receptacle. It fit fine.

https://www.amazon.com/MARINCO-301EL...marinco+30+amp
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #19

Why don't you try fro the factory warrantee. FR does not seem to be real strict about the 10 days. No cost in trying
Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by locogk View Post
i melted the wire battery caught fire and the power convertor shorted out on one of our past campers i have a surge supressor now
I'm not really sure what you say happened, but a surge suppressor does not protect for a shorted wire. It only protects for a surge in the incoming voltage.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote